Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Technical advise

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

RichardMeershoek
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
RichardMeershoek Posted: Tue, Jun 21 2016 5:00 PM

So this is my first post on this great forum, spent many years admiring and reading up on various components and now finally own some B&0 components.

Unfortunately my dream system is not fully operational. The legendary Beosound 9000, Beolab 8000 and Beolab 2, I managed to restore the Beolab 8000's back to there former glory after they had been knocked over and badly neglected with a rusty base, loose housing and moth eaten speaker cloth plus a blown tweeter.

The 9000 I sent in to our local repair guy who is the only guy I know that will work on them but it takes time, 6 month down the line and waiting. The Beolab 2 goes into protection mode which I sent off to another repair man on the other side of the country. Since collage days I have aspired to own this system, almost there but so far to go :)

I also have a Beovision MX700 with the motorised stand, stunning but also needs attention.

Can some one please advise me on a couple of points:

Apparently the Beolab 2 needs a new control board for the Ice amp, I was told that I should be able to source one as it is used in various digital amplifiers or it is common to digital amplifiers. The technician working on it mentioned that the IC's components are so small and very difficult to work on so he advised I sourced a new board. Is it possible to get parts and where should I look. not much available locally.

The 9000 I think is just a waiting game for now.

The Beovision apparently has a fault on the power supply, apparently someone had already replaced the original transistor with a lower spec one and is now overheating which causes the TV to simply switch off. How do I go about finding a diagram for the power supply. I presume I need to take some pics and indicate the problem areas?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Jun 21 2016 9:00 PM
Firstly sorry I do not have the skills to help you - others do and I am sure will.

The reason I responded was to say welcome, express amazement and admiration for the unusual entry path you are talking. I wish you the best of luck.

BTW do you know about the service manuals held on the site ? Gold membership gets you access.

Finally I hope you win big in one of the quarterly prize draws -- hopefully you would get something to help you along your way.

BeoNut since '75

RichardMeershoek
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member

Thanks for the welcome note and the Gold membership tip. What is the quarterly prize draws, sounds exciting. If I think about it, most of my B&O gear needs some help. Have a pair of Penta's that also need serious restoration. Water damage to the boards and they have started to corrode :(

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Thu, Jun 23 2016 10:15 AM
RichardMeershoek:

What is the quarterly prize draws, sounds exciting

Next draw is in 7 days 11 hours 45 minutes time as of .... NOW Big Smile

Here is the results of the last quarter's draw (and the prizes)

https://www.beoworld.org/prize_draw.asp

BeoNut since '75

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Thu, Jun 23 2016 9:01 PM

RichardMeershoek:

The 9000 I sent in to our local repair guy who is the only guy I know that will work on them but it takes time, 6 month down the line and waiting. The Beolab 2 goes into protection mode which I sent off to another repair man on the other side of the country. Since collage days I have aspired to own this system, almost there but so far to go :)

The 9000 is a complicated device, that's for sure. But waiting for 6 months means that the repairguy doesn't have a clue how to fix it. 

At this moment I have 6 9000's brougt in for repair. Different faults and sometimes even faulty powersupplies which need fixing at the lowest level by replacing components. But these are returned within a month. So what failure did it show?

The Beolab 2 goes in protection mode for several reasons. Blown amplifier, faulty ntc or broken woofer. There are no diagrams for the BL2 to fix it. So normally a new chassis is needed by the dealer to replace. I've managed to repair a few at component level.

Where are you located?

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Thu, Jun 23 2016 9:09 PM

At this moment I have a BM8000 with waterdamage. I hope that your boards from the penta aren't that corroded and damaged like them.  The BM 8000 has fully wiped/rusted traces, which are not repaiirable. A donor is needed (which I already have). In case of Penta's, that's one of my specialties and I have lots of donorparts. (No mk3 displays or mk2 displaycovers)

RichardMeershoek
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member

Hi Beobuddy, thanks for your reply. I am in Cape Town South Africa Smile

The repair guy was one of B&O's local go to guys but I think there are personal issues hens the long wait, and I don't think I will be able to afford taking it to B&O Cape Town to have it repaired.

I have KNOW knowledge of electronics but very enthusiastic. So I took the unit apart and discovered a small board leading off the power supply had blown a fuse. Replaced the fuse (looks like a cap)(when replacing the fuse I noticed the pulley on the door mechanism was missing so I replaced it with a pulley I found from another random CD player) put it all together and it fused again. Did some reading on a forum and there was a similar fault based on faulty Transistors. Removed some transistors (big ones on the heat sink Smile ) and found that two had shorted out ( had to google how to test a transistor, sorry but that just explains my limited experience and knowledge Big Smile ) Got a friend with a fair bit of knowledge to find me a pair of replacement / equivalent transistors as the original ones are not available. Put it all back together and the lights came on. Was very happy with my achievement, the problem now is that the CD unit / aspect dose not work at all, lights come on but that is about it, the glass door won't open or close, can't even hear the motor attempting to run. I was able to select inputs, radio played and after hooking up a external CD player via the Aux there was music.

I then decided to send it off to my B&O repair mate.

Perhaps I should get it back from him and persevere with research and possibly guidance from this forum, I must say it was very rewarding when the lights came on and the thought of fixing it 100% would be an amazing achievement.

What do you think.

RichardMeershoek
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member

I think I need to pull the amps out of storage and take some pics to show you. Will revert back.

Thanks again for all your input.

RichardMeershoek
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member

Beovision MX7000.

Popped into my local tv repair shop and snapped a few pics of the unknown transistor on the power supply. Can someone tell me the correct spec as the one installed is not the original and incorrect spec. TR1

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS