Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Multiple Aux Input to Beosound 9000

rated by 0 users
This post has 30 Replies | 3 Followers

Pestria
Not Ranked
Posts 58
Bronze Member
Pestria Posted: Tue, Jul 5 2016 1:13 PM

Hi everyone

Currently I've got an airport express connected via the aux in and want to add a non B&O turntable (which is currently possible by manually unplugging the airport and moving the line-in cable to the turntable).

Is there any way of connecting 2 (or more) auxillary sources directly into the besound 9000, ideally without a manual switch box?

Apologies if the solution is mentioned on another thread.

Thanks in advance

AP

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
Posts 711
Bronze Member

One option would be the ...AV 7000!

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

BeoIce
Top 150 Contributor
Recklinghausen, Germany
Posts 751
Bronze Member
BeoIce replied on Tue, Jul 5 2016 8:43 PM

If you don't have both on at once, why not use a simple y-cable for connecting them ?

Martin 

BeoSound 9000 MK3, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 3500, LCS9000, BeoLab 11, BeoLab 7.2, BeoLab 7.1, Beolab 4 PC, BeoCenter 2300, BeoSound Century, BeoSound 8, Beosound 2, BeoVision 7-40 MK2 , BeoVision 7-32 MK3, BeoVision 6-22, BeoVision 4-42, BeoMedia 1, BeoCom 4, BeoLink 1000, BeoLink 5, BeoLink 4 & BeoTime

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Wed, Jul 6 2016 9:25 AM

I once tried a Y cable but the problem is that if there is an output from both devices in standby the signal is much lower. Best way at the moment would be to replace the airport express with a Playmaker which then gives automatic switching via the aux in for the turntable. I used to have an AE and DAc but the playmaker is a much better option now that they can be bought relatively cheaply - hardwired to your router it is excellent.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

I agree on that one.

This might also be a solution:

http://shop.oneremote.dk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3494&language=en

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Pestria
Not Ranked
Posts 58
Bronze Member
Pestria replied on Wed, Jul 6 2016 10:09 AM

Thanks for all your replies.

I have to admit that I've never really understood the benefits of the Playmaker.   I suppose my lazy assumption is that they're an expensive version of an airport express.

I see from looking at the guide on the B&O site that it will accept the inputs I'm looking for.  Can you alter the selected the input from a link room?

The doesn't mention outputs other than directly to speakers.  I assume this is possible - is it line-out to the aux socket on the Beosund 9000?

AP

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

The line-in of the Playmaker has autosense - means, that as soon as you send something to it, it swiches on.

If you have your BS9000 setup with linkrooms, you just use the command, that is configured for the Playmaker (usually A.aux or A.tape....).

The PL-output can be setup as fixed line-out - means, that you control the volume through controlling your BS9000. Usually the Playmaker is set to no-ir connection (option 0) and can be hidden away.

The airplay part works as with any other airplay device.

It is recommended to hardwire the Playmaker to your homenetwork.

MM

RaMaBo
Top 150 Contributor
near Munich
Posts 626
Gold Member
RaMaBo replied on Wed, Jul 6 2016 10:54 AM

Millemissen:

The line-in of the Playmaker has autosense - means, that as soon as you send something to it, it swiches on.

That's not completely wrong but the other way round it gets a shoe :)

The signal from the Line-In connector will be routed to the powerlink connector which can be set to a fixed line level.

As soon as a DLNA _or_ Apple Airplay signal is received the corresponding signal will now be routed to the powerlink connection, whereas the Apple signal has the higher priority above the DLNA (or UPnP) signal.

So listening to the record player is possible as long as no Apple device sends it's music to the playmaker. If this happens one  will hear the apple device even in the Link-Room. This can be used to switch from the record player 'remote' to Apple (or DLNA) music.

I hope this makes the use of the playmaker a bit more transparent. I think it's an underestimated device from B&O but that's my own opinion.

Also what Millemissen said about hardwirirng the playmaker to your home network is true, except you have no neighbors within the next 400m or more.

Ralph-Marcus

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@Ralph-Magnus

It is ONE device - its (3) sources/inputs can only be used one at a time, sure.

It is like - if you want to go into the garden and only have one pair of clogs - only one person can go.

However if 'the mother' has priory, 'the father' has to wait for her to come back.

Which source has priority is described in the UserGuide (Connections page 9), which the OP stated that he had already read!

The Playmaker is a rather versatile device.

It is imo totally underestimated and sometimes even unjustly bullied from beoworlders.

May have some defiencies in the wireless reception, but in quite a few of these cases (the settings of) the home network of the owner can be blamed.

Whenever you can hardwire, do it - this goes for the Playmaker as in general.

MM

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Wed, Jul 6 2016 4:05 PM

Silou - that looks great - I have emailed to ask for more information - I also saw they have a controller for a Revox B77 - just what I need - a good site

stefan
Top 50 Contributor
200 miles from Struer
Posts 2,920
Bronze Member
stefan replied on Wed, Jul 6 2016 8:21 PM

Silou:

I don`t think it`s an IR switch box and won`t work on BS9000. It needs datalink on AUX port (that`s why it`s for BS2300/2500/Ouverture). But it will work in MCL- or ML systems. I`d try the Oneremote ...

I heard, they don`t produce the B77 box anymore...

Stefan

Ferdinand
Top 150 Contributor
Malmö, Sweden
Posts 541
Gold Member
This is interesting, but I don't understand it Big Smile

I have a BS9000 and a Playmaker and a (non) B&O turntable. So reading below I am getting excited, as I have same dilemma / question as OP

Playmaker to Aux BS9000 and turntable to Playmaker? Or am I missing something?
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Ferdinand:

No - it will be fine so (provideded that you make the right settings, when configuring the PM).

MM

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Jul 6 2016 11:38 PM

I have my Playmaker connected to the Audio Tape/Aux In of my BS9000, and a Beogram turntable connected to the Aux In of the Playmaker, passing thru a phono preamp first of course. Works fine. The Playmaker has much, much better DACs and sound than the Airport Express.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Irvine
Not Ranked
Posts 61
Bronze Member
Irvine replied on Thu, Jul 7 2016 11:54 AM

I have had the same experience with the playmaker; the sound quality is far, far better. It is a sensitive device, though, particularly if you have suffered a power outage. Once it is stable, though, particularly if it is hard wired, the sound quality is just wonderful. 

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Thu, Jul 7 2016 12:22 PM

+1. Easy to notice/hear.

Ferdinand
Top 150 Contributor
Malmö, Sweden
Posts 541
Gold Member
@Jeff and MM,

Thanks! I will quickly dust off my Thorens turntable then and go on the lookout for a pre-amp thinghy.

Ferdinand
Top 150 Contributor
Malmö, Sweden
Posts 541
Gold Member
Hi Guys,

I might need some help with my PlayMaker.

Installed it today and connected to BS9000 with the idea to start using my Thorens TO 165

I connected the Thorens to the PM directly via line-in (no pre-amp) but, no sound.

Then I tested the 'airplay' functionality of the PM and also no sound.

What to do?

PM is set-up to my wireless network. PM appears as airplay on my iphone

PM reacts to Beo4 command, and so does the volume slider on iPhone.

I must be missing the obvious. The cable in aux on BS9000 looks to be attached ok (visual check only)

Any help before I take down the BS9000 from the wall?

I am based in Sweden and have a comhem router as shown below. PM is connected to the non 5ghz frequency

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@Ferdinand

Not knowing your Thorens player, I guess you will need a phone/riaa preamp for that, if you want to connect it to the PM.

As for the output of the PM (I presume, that you have the right cables) - did you set the output to 'fixed/line output' using the BeoSetup app - and to Option 0?

You can hide away the PM then, if you want.

When you have connected the PM this way to the BS9000, you have to control the volume via the 9000/Beo4 just like you'd do with the internal cd/radio.

Hardwiring to the router is the best option - glad to see, that you choose that.

MM

Ferdinand
Top 150 Contributor
Malmö, Sweden
Posts 541
Gold Member
Hi Millemissen,

I have not hardwired my PM to internet. In the 'ethernet' port sits a cable that goes to BS9000, maybe this is not correct? Unsure I had it working in my previous flat but don't remember how I managed that.

As for the pre-amp for Thorens or any other record player; isn't in my set-up the BS9000 the amp?
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

1: Ok! That is, what I thought because of, what pics show.

The ethernet port is for ethernet - period!

The sound comes off the ports named SPEAKERS - as the name says!

Modern PowerLink outputs use a RJ45 connector - means you will need an adapter cable from PL/RJ45 to Phono R/L.

Your B&O dealer can easily provide you with these - otherweise (the forum sponsor) Steve at SoundsHeavenly has these for sale.

You'l need one piece, since a PL cable holds both the left and right signal.

(But you seem to have that cable already!)

The BS9000 has no riaa amp built-in - the Aux is for all kinds of line-level connections.

!!!! No wonder you haven't got any sound !!!

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@Ferdinand

Don't worry - once you have it set up properly, it will work fine....

...provided your wifi is stable (therefore the hint for the cabled connection).

MM

Irvine
Not Ranked
Posts 61
Bronze Member
Irvine replied on Mon, Aug 8 2016 5:04 AM

I agree that the Playmaker is a very versatile device. I have used it extensively alongside the airport express and the raw quality of the sound is so much higher in the Playmaker.   The Playmaker will also respond to the 1000 remote and it seems to be much more sensitive to Bang and Olufsen equipment than the airport express is. The one big problem is that I think you really have to hardwire it. I experienced a lot of problems with it  until I did so. I think it's received a bad reputation for that reason 

Silou
Top 200 Contributor
Switzerland
Posts 465
Bronze Member
Silou replied on Mon, Aug 8 2016 7:28 AM

stefan:

I don`t think it`s an IR switch box and won`t work on BS9000. It needs datalink on AUX port (that`s why it`s for BS2300/2500/Ouverture). But it will work in MCL- or ML systems. I`d try the Oneremote ...

Stefan

There are two switch box available: for BS2300,2500 and Ouverture AND an IR switch box!

stefan:

Stefan

False; already available!!!

beoaus
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 177
Bronze Member
beoaus replied on Mon, Aug 8 2016 11:19 AM

Try this http://eu.bosscom.com/files/pdf/PL%20Switch%20Airplay%20Manual.pdf 

Beoaus

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Mon, Aug 8 2016 1:17 PM

or simply get a nice preamp with remote control, a good display like on the old Sony Preamps and the ability to rename sources!
That way everybody can see in the display which source is connected to A.Aux:

for example Sony TA-E2000ESD:
http://www.audioscope.net/images/sony_ta-e_2000ESD-2.jpg

http://www.audioscope.net/images/sony_ta-e_2000ESD-5.jpg

http://sekinesan.ddo.jp/av/gif&jpg/E20001.jpg

Ferdinand
Top 150 Contributor
Malmö, Sweden
Posts 541
Gold Member
Ferdinand replied on Sat, Aug 13 2016 12:34 PM

Hello MM and others, thanks for patience replying to me.

The PM and BS9000 are now correctly connected again. Airplay to PM to BS is working as was before.

For the Thorens record player I have to buy a pre-amp and found a nice kit at Sounds Heavenly. But before ordering (sorry Steve) I will hear from my B&O delaer on Thursday if he has a decent Beogram of later model with built in pre-amp.

So I'll report back next weekend again.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Aug 13 2016 4:32 PM

Millemissen:

Ferdinand:

No - it will be fine so (provideded that you make the right settings, when configuring the PM).

MM

That's how I'm configured, Beogram 3000 to phono preamp to Playmaker to Aux In of the BS9000, wireless Airplay link from Spotify or iTunes to the PM. Works well.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Pestria
Not Ranked
Posts 58
Bronze Member
Pestria replied on Fri, Sep 2 2016 1:57 PM

An update to the thread I started a few weeks ago,

If you don't want to go down the playmaker route then these products might be of interest.

http://www.hifigear.co.uk/speakercraft-ll-one-line-level-audio-a-b-switch.html

https://www.cyberselect.co.uk/audio/sonance-al2-automatic-line-level-switch

Page 1 of 1 (31 items) | RSS