Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab 5 setup

rated by 0 users
This post has 60 Replies | 3 Followers

Rudi Pedersen
Top 500 Contributor
Herning, Denmark
Posts 125
Bronze Member

Hi Mike

I am sorry, I do not use the BL 5 in a surround setup.

Making a new software....I guess people in the development has changed several times since the software was created and the software language and compiling system have changed many times. Probably no-one dare to transfer the software to a new software environment. I just guess - I can ask one of the guy from the development of the BL5 - he is not there anymore, but I meet now and then ;-)

Are you feeding the surround setup from a B&O TV (over the BL10) ??

BR Rudi

Killyp
Not Ranked
Posts 55
Bronze Member
Killyp replied on Mon, Aug 1 2016 12:20 PM

It makes no sense to drive BeoLab 5s with an analog signal when you can opt for a PCM digital stream instead.

DACs and ADCs do degrade the signal, and there is no benefit whatsoever in adding additional conversion steps in the path. Conversion steps can be surprisingly audible, this is something I experience every day with professional AD/DA converters, so it really shouldn't be sniffed at. Especially with a speaker as good as the BeoLab 5.

However for home cinema, I wouldn't worry about the degradation quite so much as with music...

Mike
Not Ranked
Austria
Posts 31
Bronze Member
Mike replied on Mon, Aug 1 2016 1:00 PM

Hi Rudi

an interesting opinion... I hope you are wrong :-)

I have no beovision --> I have no tv at all. I have just a beamer as "display" and a nonB&O AV preamp to feed the surround setup...

@Killyp: I totally agree :-)

regards

Mike

stefan
Top 50 Contributor
200 miles from Struer
Posts 2,920
Bronze Member
stefan replied on Mon, Aug 1 2016 4:08 PM

@BEOVOX141

BEOVOX141:

@ Hi Stefan.

I actually hinted at Beosystem 3 in one of my first post in this thread, a very capable piece of AV engine! Smile

Yes, sorry, I read your posts, didn`t want to offend you...I was just joking....

BEOVOX141:

You wrote : ??? could you explain a bit ???

Despite being developed almost 15 years ago the Beolab 5 is still a very capable speaker, most likely never to be matched by the company!

It is great because it was allowed to have volume, power, and great drivers!  And the Analog Devices Sharc DSP was state of the art at the time of its conception. But back then the prevailing digital source was the CD and you ended up with the somewhat peculiar connection arrangement, and even though the volume control DAC was implemented in the exact right location, it only works in the digital mode...

Since then, the Bluray arrived, and with Bluray,- Multichannel HD Audio, which in many cases actually supersedes most conventional digital music sources. Not only quality wise,- but especially when it comes to the extreme dynamic range,- movies!

And as one of the few speakers around, the 5 not only copes,- it freaking shines across the audible spectrum, and delivers the LFE punch with precision and ease!

That is.... If its feed through the digital input!  The Powerlink simply wasn't designed for this, every single time you attenuate the analog signal by 6db you lose 1 of the 16 bits of resolution!  Which you will do, since the volume control is kicking in before the Powerlink output!  

The architecture of the 5 is so special that you would expect B&O to support it, but no!  Even though it's presented with the TV lineup and you might expect the digital TV audio engine to just be sitting there eagerly revving up ready to release its pristine digital content, you will forever be looking for those digital out connectors....  you do of course have 8 Powerlink,- what an unforgivable oversight (at best).

And to top it off, the newer Beosystem 4 doesn't even support the audio (CD) part anymore. For real? This is a 10000$ speaker without any support for its native technology from the company that proudly built it and still today publicly acknowledges its digital qualities?

I would still recommend the 5 any day and the Beosytem 3 for that matter, but both will need some serious counseling from Mr. Intel in order to work together in the best possible way.

Completely agree . And thanks for some "Beoinside" knowledge you are sharing. I never thought about current audioproducts don`t support BL5 anymore. And is it true?! Beosystem 4 doesn`t support the "BL5/CD-part" anymore?!

BEOVOX141:

I know the.... the 90,- another day Big Smile

Today is another day..." href="http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/tiny_mce/plugins/smilies/smilies.htm">

BEOVOX141:

I would still recommend the 5 any day and the Beosytem 3 for that matter, but both will need some serious counseling from Mr. Intel in order to work together in the best possible way.

...To your previous post,- I was awestruck by the Beolap 10 too! The perfect center!

Yes. It`s my best Beo-setup I`ve ever had. BL10, BL5, BV7/BS3, BS5, controled with Beo6 and MLGW/ipad/iphone.

I `d like to learn more about the Beosystem 4 and your opinion about that engine - and the BL90 of course....

Stefan

stefan
Top 50 Contributor
200 miles from Struer
Posts 2,920
Bronze Member
stefan replied on Mon, Aug 1 2016 4:34 PM

Mike:

@Stefan: ok, think i got it. but when i tell someone why there is a beomaster in my System (just for opening the spdif...)... ahhhh. it's a shame...

but i think it would be a solution for me too.

Wrong! You don`t  have a Beomaster in your setup just for "opening an spdif port" - You have a Beomaster to make it possible to listen to the best music in the best possible way with the best speakers ! Makes sense?

BTW : Should work, if you connect a Beolink converter 1611 (as a replacement audiomaster) to the BS3. Even less expensive and needs less space than a Beomaster..

Mike:

my concern with the beosystem 3 is: it's not really future safe. once you want to have something new, the whole Problem will start again.

Future safe? When I bought my BL5s eleven years ago, I thought about having a fantastic speaker at home, that I can listen to, whenever I like to.

And when I got my BV7/BS3 eight years ago, I was just happy to have a great BV with a fantastic av engine, and that`s what I`m still today - so, that`s, what I call future safe...

Stefan

stefan
Top 50 Contributor
200 miles from Struer
Posts 2,920
Bronze Member
stefan replied on Mon, Aug 1 2016 4:41 PM

Mike:

Hi Rudi

an interesting opinion... I hope you are wrong :-)

I`m afraid, he is right. (Even with the wine...)

Mike:

I have no beovision --> I have no tv at all. I have just a beamer as "display" and a nonB&O AV preamp to feed the surround setup...

You have a projektor? What is your video source?

So you n e e d a BS3 - it has cinema feature with dedicated projektor socket (What the BS4 does not feature).

Stefan

Mike
Not Ranked
Austria
Posts 31
Bronze Member
Mike replied on Tue, Aug 2 2016 6:40 AM

Hi Stefan

yes, this formulation sounds a lot better (than just open the port) :-)

I like the idea with the converter due to the space efficiency. and I have already one left in the drawer. so I'm just missing the BS3.

And yes, future safe at the right time (a view years ago) :-P  

but good to hear, that you still enjoy your setup.

My video sources are blurays and most of the time online streaming.

btw: will a BS3 work, with just a projector and no beovision? I don't want to have another couple of workarounds, to get everything running :-)

regards

Mike

stefan
Top 50 Contributor
200 miles from Struer
Posts 2,920
Bronze Member
stefan replied on Wed, Aug 3 2016 11:02 AM

Mike:

My video sources are blurays and most of the time online streaming.

btw: will a BS3 work, with just a projector and no beovision? I don't want to have another couple of workarounds, to get everything running :-)

regards

Mike

In fact, BS3 got two HDMI outputs - one for TV mode 2nd for CINEMA mode.

Will work with only one screen connected. I recommend to read the BS3 manuals - you can download them on the customer service site of Beo.

Stefan

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
Posts 711
Bronze Member

@ Stefan

Not only will does the BS have 2 HDMI out (typeno 77xx).

The HDMI carries a full 7.1 HD MA sound on both display outputs, just waiting to be distributed... The Power of Format 0!

Dante
Top 500 Contributor
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Posts 163
Bronze Member
Dante replied on Fri, Feb 3 2017 6:37 PM

Has anyone ever tried to run BL 5 with a Datasat RS20i?

The specifications says:

Signal Outputs
Digital Audio Outputs 
•Channels: 16, fully routable as to input 
•Connectors: Two DB25 Male (Ch1-8 and Ch9-16) 
•Digital Format: AES/EBU 
•Sample Rates: 48kHz, 96kHz and 192kHz

Is that compatible with the BL5 digital input?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

The BL5's need a coax/SPDIF signal.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Read about AES/EBU to SPDIF onversion here:

http://www.rane.com/note149.html

MM

Dante
Top 500 Contributor
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Posts 163
Bronze Member
Dante replied on Tue, Feb 7 2017 3:35 PM

During the last weekend I decided to do a blind test on my BL5 with the help of my brother.

I've downloaded some songs from B&W Society of Sound (free trial), FLAC 96 kHz, and played them using two methods:

1) Macbook Pro + BitPerfect --> Optical/Coax converter --> BL5 spdif in

2) Macbook Pro --> AppleTV --> Pioneer VSXD814 receiver preamp out --> BL5 line in

The songs were: Full Moon in Paris | Wayfaring Stranger 

For my surprise I couldn't point out any difference between these methods!

Does anyone have an idea of what's wrong on my test? Maybe the music files I've chosen aren't the right one for this kind of test? 

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Feb 7 2017 4:11 PM

More likely the usual hair pulling over "differences" is overrated and the differences, if any, are much more subtle than you've been led to believe.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Jeff:

More likely the usual hair pulling over "differences" is overrated and the differences, if any, are much more subtle than you've been led to believe.

I am with you on that one - although I am sure, that the 'pro-digital-ins' won't agree.

MM

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Feb 7 2017 8:09 PM

Millemissen:

Jeff:

I am with you on that one - although I am sure, that the 'pro-digital-ins' won't agree.

MM

Given the opportunity if I owned BL5s, I'd probably use the SPDIF inputs if possible, if only because that would be the more theoretically pure approach, even though I doubt it would make that much if any difference. Sometimes if it's not too difficult I do things in the more engineeringly correct way just because. If it's too much hassle, well, a good engineer knows the difference between good enough and perfect and how much to sweat it. As Patton said about planning, a good plan, aggressively implemented today, is better than a perfect plan tomorrow.

Jeff

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@Jeff

Since my setups are always build around the BV as the hub, I'd (supposed I had them) connect the BL5's using PowerLink cables, no doubt there.

Even with the 90's I'd do that!

(The latter being said easy, since you can connect and adress the 90's in multiple ways at the same time).

MM

gysse2004
Top 500 Contributor
Hellerup
Posts 192
Bronze Member
gysse2004 replied on Wed, Feb 8 2017 12:00 AM

I tend to disagree with MM on this one. I've had BL5 for almost 10 years now, and I still say that they sound better ( whatever that entails ) in digital mode, then powerlink mode. Although subtle !

Peter

Beovision eclipse 65, Beolab 50, Beolab 18, Beovision 11, Beolab 3, Beolab 2, BeoVision 10, MLGW, BeoLink converter Nl/Ml, Beosound 5, BLGW

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Feb 8 2017 12:18 AM

Millemissen:

@Jeff

Since my setups are always build around the BV as the hub, I'd (supposed I had them) connect the BL5's using PowerLink cables, no doubt there.

Even with the 90's I'd do that!

(The latter being said easy, since you can connect and adress the 90's in multiple ways at the same time).

MM

That makes sense, as it'd buy you a lot more integration and flexibility, which matters a lot.

Jeff

davelarue
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 98
Bronze Member
davelarue replied on Wed, Feb 15 2017 7:02 PM

Peter Pan:

Hallo Mike

This does not change you must change option, but lets you stream digital audio to BeoLab 5.

HI Peter Pan and everyone,

Has anyone tried this setup with BL5s? Using chromecase audio/airport express and an optical->coaxial converter..

How will this compare to the playmaker?

Thx,

davelarue

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Wed, Feb 15 2017 10:05 PM

Hi,

I think you already found this thread --> http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/22517.aspx

The Google Chromecast Audio allows 24 bits / 96kHz, the Apple Airport Express allows 16 bits / 44.1kHz.

The Playmaker has a Powerlink connexion that's analog, not digital --> you're going to start (again) the War of pro/cons digital...

Page 2 of 2 (61 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS