Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Google cast groups

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 3 Followers

chguillarme
Not Ranked
Posts 48
Bronze Member
chguillarme Posted: Fri, Aug 5 2016 12:39 PM

Hi all,

I have an Essence MKII and a Beoplay A6, both now compatible with Google Cast technology.

I definitely prefer Deezer application instead of B&O Music, which is not well designed at all (especially to browse Deezer)

I would like to make Groups with my speakers, to be able to use them at the same time, but in the Google Cast application I don't have this menu. Do you have the same issue ? Is this because B&O didn't impelemnt this ? Or because I didn't understand how to use it ?

Thanks for your feedback.

Christophe.

Beolab 1, Beovision 7-32, Beosound Moment, Beolab 18, Beolab 19, Beoplay A6 Grey, Beoplay A6 Black, Beolit 15, Beoplay H7, Beosound Essence mkII waiting for speakers :)

petrosbeli
Not Ranked
Posts 64
Bronze Member

Multiroom (groups) support for Google Cast is not available yet for the B&O products. Actually I belive to no other product than Google's own dongle at this phase. But the feature is coming soon via a SW update

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Dec 2 2016 12:44 PM

petrosbeli:

Multiroom (groups) support for Google Cast is not available yet for the B&O products. Actually I belive to no other product than Google's own dongle at this phase. But the feature is coming soon via a SW update

Is this working now?

Does anyone use Google Cast in a Multiroom setup succesfully?

/C

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Fri, Dec 2 2016 4:55 PM

I have a multi-room group setup between a GoogleCast Audio and an Essence MK2.  I can't speak for the other products, but this does work.

Stan

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
Stan:

I have a multi-room group setup between a GoogleCast Audio and an Essence MK2. I can't speak for the other products, but this does work.

Stan

Does this give you a multiroom experience that Apple Airplay doesn't ?

Is Google casting simultaneously to multiple destinations (something that only a Mac's airplay does) ?

Or is this the Essence able to link to other rooms with a Google stream ? (Again something the Essence won't do for an airplay stream).

BeoNut since '75

chguillarme
Not Ranked
Posts 48
Bronze Member

Hi,

With last firmwares it works like a charm. Sometime, when I begin casting on groups ,some of the speakers may take time to have the music on, but it's definitely working.

With the new Android App, I think i won't use it too much as the app seems quite nice and has a good integration of deezer (at last, far better than the beomusic one..)

Christophe.

Beolab 1, Beovision 7-32, Beosound Moment, Beolab 18, Beolab 19, Beoplay A6 Grey, Beoplay A6 Black, Beolit 15, Beoplay H7, Beosound Essence mkII waiting for speakers :)

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sat, Dec 3 2016 10:33 PM

I downloaded the Google Home app to my iPhone, but it cannot find any of my Google Cast device. It should find Beoplay A6 and Beosound 1, right?

The plan was to specify a group.

Any advice.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member

Hiort:

I downloaded the Google Home app to my iPhone, but it cannot find any of my Google Cast device. It should find Beoplay A6 and Beosound 1, right?

The plan was to specify a group.

Any advice.

Do you have a dual band router? If your A6 and BS1 are connected to 5GHz WiFi, make sure your iphone is too, likewise if they are connected to 2.4GHz WiFi connect to 2.4GHz on your iphone too.

If this resolves the issue, log in to your router / access point and look for a setting called 'wireless isolation' or similar and turn it off as after doing so you shouldn't need to worry about which radio you connect to.

Martin.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
riverstyx:

If this resolves the issue, log in to your router / access point and look for a setting called 'wireless isolation' or similar and turn it off as after doing so you shouldn't need to worry about which radio you connect to.

Martin

Martin - you seem knowledgeable enough you may know the answer to this quandary....

By default my Time Capsule router calls its two bands "" and " 5.0GHz"

If I make both names the same will that remove the 'wireless isolation' effect ?

BeoNut since '75

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sun, Dec 4 2016 10:31 AM
riverstyx:

Do you have a dual band router? If your A6 and BS1 are connected to 5GHz WiFi, make sure your iphone is too, likewise if they are connected to 2.4GHz WiFi connect to 2.4GHz on your iphone too.

Martin.

Thanks!

Now it works!

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member

elephant:

If I make both names the same will that remove the 'wireless isolation' effect ?

Unfortunately not - it will likely just make it harder to work out which network you are connected to.

Martin.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Tue, Dec 6 2016 2:06 PM

riverstyx:

elephant:

Unfortunately not - it will likely just make it harder to work out which network you are connected to.

Martin.

I´m using a Apple Airport Extreme, and I´m able to name the two bands separately.

Should be the same on Time Capsule, right?

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Tue, Dec 6 2016 9:20 PM

elephant:

Does this give you a multiroom experience that Apple Airplay doesn't ?

Is Google casting simultaneously to multiple destinations (something that only a Mac's airplay does) ?

Or is this the Essence able to link to other rooms with a Google stream ? (Again something the Essence won't do for an airplay stream).

1)  Sorry, I don't know about Airplay

2)  Yes, GoogleCast groups plays synchronized music across different devices in different rooms

3)  Essence doesn't control GoogleCast.  GoogleCast controls the Essence. 

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Wed, Dec 7 2016 12:12 AM

Hiort:

I´m using a Apple Airport Extreme, and I´m able to name the two bands separately.

Hi Hiort,

Yes, absolutely, the bands can be named differently, which I think is the default on the Airport express and the time capsule, and is how elephant has things set up currently.

Sorry, the confusion was entirely of my causing because I didn't quote fully the relevant part of elephant's question in my previous post (finger trouble when replying to the post on my phone! - corrected now).

The issue is that with some routers or access points, you can cast successfully whilst both the chromecast device and the device you are casting from (eg phone) are connected to the same band, but not when one is connected to 2.4GHz and the other 5GHz.

Generally, it is a case of checking the settings on the router/AP, ensuring AP isolation is turned off, and uPnP / multicast support is turned on, but not all devices have these options.

My reply to elephant was just to confirm that giving both bands the same name (SSID) wouldn't resolve this issue, but would likely make it more difficult to see at a glance which band you were connected to.

Sorry again for the confusion.

Martin.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
Hiort:

Correct - the default behaviour is separate names.

BeoNut since '75

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Thu, Dec 8 2016 7:02 AM

I borrowed a Chromecast Audio at work, but cannot get it to connect to my WIFI. I tried both using the Google Home app on my iPhone and using my Macbook. I get an error message and the option of "try again", but no luck.

Any hints?

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Thu, Dec 8 2016 10:29 AM

Try a factory reset. There's a pushbutton on the side of the CA. Hold it down and you should see an orange light flashing. Release the button when the light turns steady white.

If this doesn't work, the problem may be in the way your wireless router is set up ("AP isolation" is one thing that needs to be off). Also go through the steps in Chromecast support pages, they are pretty good.

--mika

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sat, Dec 10 2016 5:15 PM
Thanks,

I did a restart of my router and that solved the problem.

I managed to setup a group with my A6 and the A2 and play them in sync from Deezer app.

Of some reason my Beosound 1 disappeared in the Google cast app so I could not include that in the group....

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Sat, Dec 10 2016 9:15 PM

So, if I try to summarize,

It's possible to create groups of Chromecast devices

It's possible to create groups of Google cast devices (recent B&O)

It's possible to create groups with both kind

But

Only Chromecast devices can send music to Google cast devices.

Am I right ?

If yes, do you know if this will evolve, allowing the reverse order?

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sat, Dec 10 2016 10:30 PM
CB:

So, if I try to summarize,

It's possible to create groups of Chromecast devices

It's possible to create groups of Google cast devices (recent B&O)

It's possible to create groups with both kind

But

Only Chromecast devices can send music to Google cast devices.

Am I right ?

If yes, do you know if this will evolve, allowing the reverse order?

You are correct.

And you need an app that are chromecast capable in order to cast to any device or group of devices you have created. Like the Deezer or Spotify apps.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Dec 18 2016 1:01 AM
OK google play Johnny Cash on BeoSittingRoom ...

"playing Johnny Cash radio on YouTube"

And my son (down from Sydney for Christmas) also created a group that included the Essence and its BL20s and the Google Home's own speaker.

BeoNut since '75

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Hiort:

And you need an app that are chromecast capable in order to cast to any device or group of devices you have created. Like the Deezer or Spotify apps.

There are more threads on the cast/grouping issue.

I posted a couple of screenshot in the one called: 'Support for chromecast multi room in Play and core products':

http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/21643/186686.aspx#186686

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

petrosbeli:

Is there still hope for this to happen?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Page 1 of 1 (23 items) | RSS