Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

One penta sounds brighter than the other

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee Posted: Fri, Aug 26 2016 6:07 PM
Hi Guys,

I've been playing pink noise through my system and noticed that one of my Beovox Pentas sounds slightly brighter than the other.

I recapped them a while back and I've been through and checked all my soldering with a continuity meter and it all seems fine.

I've tried moving the speakers to the centre of the room to make sure it's not room placement and I've had them both running off the same left channel on my BM8000 (speaker one and 2 sockets on the left channel) which allows me to switch between them to rule out the amp or source.

Measuring the tweeters I notice that one is 4.4 ohms and the other is 5.1. I've tried playing a pure sine wave through the speakers and they both play equally well past my heaving ability of 18khz.

Any ideas?

Thank

Lee
Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Wed, Sep 7 2016 7:25 PM
I've now changed my tweeter and I still have the same issue. They definitely sound different to each other. It's not that one sounds bad but they are different.

I've ruled out the amp and source, the tweeters, I've checked all the wiring internal and external, I've checked the caps I replaced on the crossover boards. All the coils measure the same on each board as does the DC resistance of all the drivers.

What else could I check? Is this just normal for Pentas?

Could it be a problem with the resistors (have measured them and they are all within 5% of each other) or the other square caps on the crossover boards. Are these film caps?

Lee
Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Wed, Sep 7 2016 9:44 PM
I have the option of getting a set of later type crossovers... Mine have the over complicated Early MK1 ones, the crossovers I can get are the later ones from the later MK1s and MK2s.

Will these work with my speakers or will it place the drivers out of their range?

Please help, it's driving me nuts.

Lee

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Thu, Sep 8 2016 9:18 PM
Well I've ordered a complete set of replacement ceramic resistors and replacement MTK capacitors.. They should be here in a week or so. Fingers crossed that will fix things.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS