Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab 14 and rear speakers

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Catullus
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Bronze Member
Catullus Posted: Sun, Aug 28 2016 7:02 PM

Hi folks

Might be a noddy query. I have the Beolab 14 2.1 attached to my Beovision 10. I am thinking about adding some rear speakers. Am I limited to using Beolab 14 satellites (connected to the BL14 sub) or can I use as an alternative, for example, a pair of BL4s plugged into the 'rear' powerlink socket on the TV? 

Thanks

Mark-N
Top 500 Contributor
Maryland, USA
Posts 320
Bronze Member
Mark-N replied on Sun, Aug 28 2016 7:11 PM

The BeoLab 14 satelites are not powered internally, but has its amplifier and DSP in the sub.  The best use of the satelites would be connected to the sub.  You can easily convert your 2.1 system to 4.1 by the removal of the rj45 plugs in the subwoofer and add an extra powerlink or CAT 7 cable from the TV to the sub.

Edit:  Oops!  Sorry I missed the fact that you said BeoLab 4's as the rear speakers and not the 14's.  That would certainly work, but you can also consider getting a couple more BL 14's satelites. I like having BL14 sats all the way around... 10 of them with 2 subs.

Catullus
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Bronze Member
Catullus replied on Sun, Aug 28 2016 8:55 PM

Thanks Mark. I think I'll probably try and get two satellites. On balance, I guess I prefer the consistency of the same speakers. I'm not sure if dealers sell pairs of satellites without the sub. I'll make some enquiries.

Thanks again.

C

Mark-N
Top 500 Contributor
Maryland, USA
Posts 320
Bronze Member
Mark-N replied on Mon, Aug 29 2016 12:17 AM

I purchased my first BeoLab 14 from my local dealer.  A couple years later I purchased a BeoLab 14 2.1, new off of eBay.  I was able to buy three additional satellites from my dealer just a couple of weeks before they closed.  The sats came to me from Denmark and the dealer was closed by the time I got them, but luckily everything worked fine.  The dealer should be able to order them.  Each satellite comes with the long speaker cable and the wall bracket, so you don't need to order those separately.  I wasn't told this so I ordered speaker cable also.

Catullus
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Bronze Member
Catullus replied on Mon, Aug 29 2016 6:03 PM

Many thanks Mark.

BeoMegaMan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 601
Bronze Member

Unless your dealer has inventory of the satellite already, you will have to order the spare part satellite as well as the cover color of your choice. The individual satellite for retail sale has already sold out with the discontinuation of the BL14. 

Ah, you know... A little B&O here, a little there 

Catullus
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Bronze Member

After faffing around working out where best to position the rear satellites, I have decided on a position and worked out how to use existing pictures on the wall and a mirror to hide the cables. The dealer has two satellites in stock which is good news.

Just a question about connections. I currently have the 2.1 set up with the following:-

1. Powerlink cable running from the TV's Front Powerlink socket to the Front Powerlink input on the sub.

2. 2 x RJ45 speaker cables running from each front satellite to the corresponding speaker input on the sub.

I do not have anything at present connected to the TV's Subwoofer Powerlink socket. This is not being used. The only connection to the TV is via the Front Powerlink input.

When I attach the two additional satellites, do I simply need to connect the Beolab sub to the Rear Powerlink input on the TV (as well as connecting the satellites to the sub) or do I also now need to attach the sub to the TV's Subwoofer Powerlink output as well?

Any input gratefully received!

C

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS