Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Problem with high end BL8000

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew Posted: Mon, Aug 29 2016 9:31 AM

Hi - I noticed recently that my BL8000's connected to BL2 and then BM6500 sound distorted at the high end - I am not sure where to start testing, I will swap one out with a BL6000 and then the other to see if it is the speakers, but wondered if there are any known problems with the tweeters on these? They are MK1's - I'm also reluctant to remove the speaker frets as not sure how too. I'm not sure if it is the speakers or the BM6500 - which on link room speakers sounds absolutely fine. They are in quite a small listening room so maybe a permanent swap of the 6000's would be better - but firstly wanted to check if there are any known problems?

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Mon, Aug 29 2016 12:40 PM

6000's sound more muffled but the distortion is still there - wondering if it could be the crossover in the sub?

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Mon, Aug 29 2016 12:40 PM

6000's sound more muffled but the distortion is still there - wondering if it could be the crossover in the sub?

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Mon, Aug 29 2016 1:54 PM
Could you try hooking the speakers directly to the BM6500 bypassing the sub.
Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Mon, Aug 29 2016 2:04 PM

Hi Lee - thanks I tried that and then tried the speakers directly to playmaker having reset it - still nto great. I've now turned the volume on the playmaker down and plugged everything back in as before and it does sound much better - wondering now if the playmaker volume was set too high and that caused distortion it seems to be ok now so will monitor.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Aug 29 2016 3:10 PM

Andrew:

Hi Lee - thanks I tried that and then tried the speakers directly to playmaker having reset it - still nto great. I've now turned the volume on the playmaker down and plugged everything back in as before and it does sound much better - wondering now if the playmaker volume was set too high and that caused distortion it seems to be ok now so will monitor.

That certainly could be an issue, overdriving the inputs of a device can cause distortion and such, but if you had it set up this way for a while now and didn't have distortion I doubt it's the main issue. Did it not have the distortion previously, or is the Playmaker setup a new addition? I have my PM run into my BS9000 via the aux/tape in, and have it set to the recommended about 80% level, but when I jack the volume all the way up using iTunes I don't notice any distortion, but that may still be a lower level than if I did it using the PM. That is, when I look at the volume slider on iTunes it shows the Playmaker at about 80%, and if I slide the volume to max I notice no distortion, but as I say not sure if that's max for the PM or not.

The fact it seemed to show up on two types of speakers makes me think it's upstream. I've also found now and then some distortion/breakup on my BL8000s which was solved by pulling the Powerlink connectors and reinserting them, which you've obviously done, as they tend to get some oxidation built up over the years. Thankfully my 1997 era 8000s still work perfectly, though I dread whenever the dreaded foam rot on the power supply board might rear its ugly head.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 9:28 AM

Hi Jeff

Yes, I wondered if it was the leads - I only really noticed when the BL2 was back in place - there was some distortion when I had an AE with a DAC as well. The distorion is more that the sound can get raspy like at the high end - part of me wondered if it is because the room is small. I don't get it on any of the link speakers  but odd that it would be both - anyway, it seems ok at the moment and I am wondering if it is actually something to do with the PL output on the BM6500 - but that it is just more prevelant now that I have the subwoofer

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 3:35 PM

Hi Andrew,

The fact you don't notice it in other link rooms but did with an AE/DAC combo, perhaps both PM and that combo overdrive the inputs but if so that should show up in the link rooms as well, and if it doesn't happen if the sub is out of the equation that makes me think the sub is perhaps the culprit. Might be the PL output, but it seems to me the sub might be the main suspect. It's possible something in the subs electronics, a failing op amp or such. I doubt it's the size of the room unless you have to play it very, very loud. Before I got my BL9s I had my BL8000s in my living room in the new house I bought, which is very huge, and they never distorted. Unless you have the cables hidden so it's hard to replace them trying another set of cables would be a relatively cheap thing to do, especially if you have a dealer you can borrow them from or perhaps take the sub to and let them hook it up to a set of speakers to see if the problem occurs there.

When you used the AE/DAC combo did you still run that thru your BM6500 or directly to the speakers? It's possible the AE/DAC and the PM both are overdriving the inputs of the BM6500, do you get the problem if you listen to FM radio? That could be a useful test. But still, that should show up in the link rooms as well if that was the case. Do you have a CD player hooked to the BM6500? Does it distort with that or FM? If so, that would seem to indicate the sub and not the input of the BM.

Don't you just love problems like this? Almost as bad as the dreaded intermittent problem, I hate those!

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS