Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Do you want coffee or sound ?

rated by 0 users
This post has 54 Replies | 6 Followers

BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 Posted: Mon, Aug 29 2016 8:45 PM

New BeoSound 1 in Lifestyle

Photo:  Pascal Photographe

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Mon, Aug 29 2016 8:56 PM

The new B&O coffee grinder Big Smile

The 21st century "rundspreder"

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Mon, Aug 29 2016 9:16 PM

Nice Graves sugar bowl by Alessi. 

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Mon, Aug 29 2016 9:50 PM

Beautiful!

paolomariano
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68:

New BeoSound 1 in Lifestyle

Beoboy!! Is it?! Is it really the beosound 1? Tell us more!!
BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Mon, Aug 29 2016 11:27 PM

New BeoSound 1: The Sound of coffee  Yes - thumbs up

Rob - Danish AV
Top 200 Contributor
Melbourne
Posts 376
Bronze Member

This thing is hideous. I'll say plenty of positive things about the brand and love it, but this new device looks stupid

linder
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 983
Bronze Member
linder replied on Mon, Aug 29 2016 11:44 PM

Thanks BeoBoy68.  That is really cool.  I want one next to my coffee machine.

keynesparis6
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Bronze Member
Same here Big Smile
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 2:55 AM

It's interesting, not the same kind of acoustic lens as the ALT, which is a fairly recent development, more like a number of classic omni-directional speakers of old. Seems not much is new under the sun. Check out Roger Russell's page on this, some very cool stuff there from the past:

Omni-Directional Speakers

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 3:32 AM

Jeff:

It's interesting, not the same kind of acoustic lens as the ALT, which is a fairly recent development, more like a number of classic omni-directional speakers of old. Seems not much is new under the sun. Check out Roger Russell's page on this, some very cool stuff there from the past:

Omni-Directional Speakers

Forgive the ignorant question, but isn't an acoustic lens that we Beophiles are familiar with, be considered half of an omnidirectional speaker, with some modifications to the shape to influence the 180-degree arc into a 360-degree sound spread? An acoustic lens positioned "upside down" would perform the same way as one right side up right? So if the current acoustic lenses were shaped the same throughout their 360-degree shape would they be considered "omnidirectional"? Apologies as these concepts don't come intuitively to me as others on these forums. :-)

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 3:36 AM

Ugh, forget that question, Jeff. Now that I am thinking about it and trying to picture my thought experiment in more detail, I can see how the current ALT is positioned above the drivers and in order to make the sound-spread omnidirectionally, it would require significant reshaping to the lens and wouldn't be considered an ALT at all.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 4:25 AM

From what I gather from reading the paper on the ALT as compared with the usual omni cone reflectors is that the ALT is designed for 180 deg sound, with emphasis on smooth freq response and very controlled vertical dispersion. It's a bit more complex as it has to talke half the tweeters output and focus it to add to the other half without a lot of cancellation over the tweeters frequency range, whereas an omni lens doesn't have to do that, it only redirects the tweeters output into a full circle. It's also designed to do this as the tweeters dispersion changes with frequency which from what I gather is why the upper chamber over the driver has the shape it does,,if I understand it properly. If the output of the tweeter to the rear of the ALT chamber isn't combined properly with the front radiation you'd get interference that would make the frequency response very ragged. It's an interesting design, and I'm like Roger Russell, I've always been fascinated by attempts to make an omnidirectional speaker. 

I remember in the 70's Design Acoustics made a speaker called the D12, which was a dodecahedron with a 10 inch down firing woofer, a cone midrange facing up, and a cone tweeter on every one of the other sides of the dodecahedron. The first ones were only omni, the later version had a switch that let you select omni or 180 deg dispersion,  a very interesting and cool looking design. Years later I briefly had a pair, the sound was kind of like my BL9s in that you could get a decent stereo image over a wide listening area but was more susceptible to the effects of reflections off the back wall, kind of like a combo of a BL9 and a Bose 901. Severely hampered by the fact that the mids and tweeters were cheap and really horrible even for the day.

mine were blonde oak with bright turquoise grill cloths! They sat on chrome stands, the height of 70's chic!

Jeff

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,417
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 8:18 AM
Thanks for the pic. First one but not the best one.

Lets wait and see for the official ones.
Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 9:14 AM
I like the look of it and the concept from the first pic. As ever I expect to like it even more when I see it in the flesh.
Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Duels:

I like the look of it and the concept from the first pic. As ever I expect to like it even more when I see it in the flesh.

I just want to touch it
Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 10:25 AM

Is this the new road for B&O to go. It looks to me more of a guidance system for a warhead missile. Let's wait for more pics and surprise me B&O

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 10:49 AM

The spout must be turned away from the view. Press the top down to dispense your coffee.

Graham

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,417
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 11:31 AM

Just played with it for five minutes.

Surely looks very special, like no audio product I saw before, but for me it's not love at first sight.

Sound was ok but I doubt it outperforms my Beolit 15.

The wheel on top is nice to turn or press.

Around 1.400 € - Made in China.

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 11:38 AM

At this price level it should at least perform like a Beoplay A6 !

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 12:41 PM

Made in China and only "ok" sound? 

Thank you, but no, thanks. B&O becomes just greedy... wrong way to go. Yes, I will judge design and sound by myself when I touch it in the store. But "Made in China" for the real Bang & Olufsen product means that I don't buy it and I can not recommend that.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 12:45 PM

benoit:

At this price level it should at least perform like a Beoplay A6 !

At my short listening session with the BS1, I think it certainly did. 

Look forward to Lee´s review tomorrow, since he had more time to listen and compare in possibly a home environment.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 1:09 PM

Lee, PLEASE give a 100% HONEST review if you are reviewing it. I remember you reviewing the BS8 and you said if anything, it sounded close to the BL3. In truth, the two were a million miles apart and I expected a lot only to be incredibly disappointed. Honest truth, no sales talk or NO review please!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 1:58 PM

Chris:

Is this the new road for B&O to go. It looks to me more of a guidance system for a warhead missile. Let's wait for more pics and surprise me B&O

Must be why I think it looks good!Big Smile

Oh and Paul, bad form there insulting our host and benefactor Lee. As for how the A8 sounds, you are the only one out of the dozens of people I know who has heard it who's made the comments you do about sound quality, so I think it's you who are the outlier.

Jeff

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 2:09 PM
Paul W:

Lee, PLEASE give a 100% HONEST review if you are reviewing it. I remember you reviewing the BS8 and you said if anything, it sounded close to the BL3. In truth, the two were a million miles apart and I expected a lot only to be incredibly disappointed. Honest truth, no sales talk or NO review please!

I like the sound of the BS8. I've been listening to mine pretty heavily for a couple of weeks while my BM5 has a new motherboard fitted (who'd have thought) and I'd forgotten how much I liked it. It's not up to a pair of BL18s which I normally listen to but that doesn't make it bad. Just goes to show its all down to personal preferences.
BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,417
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 3:18 PM
Speaking of the Beosound 1 (and not the Beosound 8 wich I said many times is brilliant) I tested it to know if it could replace my Beolit 15 (too boomy for my fragile ears) and the broken Beosound 3.

Both work on batteries and I suspect StbBrackets will make a wall bracket for BS1 if B&O doesn't.

Placed at the good spot (no corners or walls) the Beolit 15 knows how to fill a room with good loud sound.

So I had big expectations for little BS1, calling the sound only ok.

To my years an impressive sound comes out of the Beolab 17. It's just wow.

Anyway, for today, I may be an idiot but Made in China is a no go.

It took time to accept it on Play products but can't even imagine it on full alu Bang & Olufsen ones !

BV 14 is made in Czech I checked under the wooden grill !
Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 3:36 PM

I don't want to stoke the fire here, but for the sake of argument, what if the B&O products didn't have any indication of where the products were made. Would that change anyone's opinion about the products? Can someone discern where a product was made just by looking at it? The Beosound 1 appears to be of aluminum construction, and from those who have seen it, they've remarked as such (and the picture too), if it was merely the same engineering, the same materials, the same everything, but made in Denmark, why would that product be better? 

I don't have a position on this, but it strikes me as more of a political statement... Heck, maybe it is. C'est la vie.

I hope B&O is successful regardless of where the products are made. If it is a good product, it is a good product. Period. 

P.S. I respect members of Beoworld, so please don't take my post to be pointed at any one person, sincerely. I've been thinking about this a lot whilst reading the forums, and Beogreg's post made me think about the topic it again. 

P.P.S. Guess a new music system (sans speaker) is not in the cards for B&O. They seem to be sticking with the Moment & Essence for the long haul.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 3:46 PM

Sal:

I don't have a position on this, but it strikes me as more of a political statement... Heck, maybe it is. C'est la vie.

I think that pegs it, but if people want to have that opinion and let it influence their buying decisions that's their option and I hope they find some products that fill their needs and are made where they like. It does limit what they are able to buy a lot. I find it interesting that people seldom seem to care that Apple products are made in China though.

I guess with every purchase you have to decide if you want the product enough to overcome any objections you might have as to place of manufacture.

Jeff

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 3:49 PM
I agree with you Sal. The world is a small place and I don't mind where things are made as such. Naturally quality has to be up to scratch but that should be possible though good management and supervision.
benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 3:53 PM

TWG:

Made in China and only "ok" sound? 

Thank you, but no, thanks. B&O becomes just greedy... wrong way to go. Yes, I will judge design and sound by myself when I touch it in the store. But "Made in China" for the real Bang & Olufsen product means that I don't buy it and I can not recommend that.

Apple is made in China designed in California.... Who complains?

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 4:54 PM

BeoGreg:
I suspect StbBrackets will make a wall bracket for BS1 if B&O doesn't.

Placed at the good spot (no corners or walls) the Beolit 15 knows how to fill a room with good loud sound.

Is that a good idea to place a 360° speaker on a wall ?

I think it's place is on the table, in the middle of the room, hence the battery...

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 5:12 PM

Anyone know how heavy the BS1 is? Does one lift it up by the top? If it is all aluminum, I would suspect it is of substantial weight, not "light" but heavier than a Beolit 15 perhaps.

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 5:27 PM

benoit:

Apple is made in China designed in California.... Who complains?

An often brought example, I know. But people should think about the fact that there's thankfully more than one electronics company on this planet. :-)

So, you would still buy your Rolex if it's made in China instead of Swiss? I will not and so do others. Even the chinese people do not want those stuff made in China! Guess why...

Accuphase (as just one example of many) is manufacturing its equipment in Japan, too, and they are proud of it.
With B&O there's the impression that they ran out of ideas or the ideas are all blocked and destroyed by the CEO and management... .

Outsourcing the manufacturing to such a country is a) a sign of the companys greed and b) a sign of lost passion and somehow giving up on its own roots and home country c) a sign of the company being unable to do its homework and math.

I will have a look at the Beosound 1 and 2 in the store for sure. But because of their origin country I will not buy it! Beoplay is China stuff which is not okay either, buy I have to live with it.

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 999
Bronze Member
The problem with outsourcing is that you literally have to stand over the person building it and check they manufacture to just the tolerance and specs you stipulate. If Bang & Olufsen who've struggled with quality control in recent years can't get it right on Danish soil, how confident can we be that it will built properly in China. Naim piloted outsourcing to New Zealand and it was a disaster; no matter how hard they tried to embed their manufacturing ethos and how much effort they expended in training, the staff there just couldn't build things right - curvature on internal wiring, soldering by hand, general PCB work and post manufacturing checks. Apple also have had quality control issues with their iPhone 6 and 6s. In China it's even more difficult to engender this and monitor build on the shop floor with Chinese staff who earn a fraction of their European counterparts, work 18 hours a day living in dormitories off the factory floor and whose work lives are reminiscent of Oliver Twist.

P.S. I would not at present moment buy a very expensive precision engineered product from China.

Present: BL90, Core, BL6000, CD7000, Beogram 7000, Essence Remote.

Past: BL1, BL2, BL8000, BS9000, BL5, BC2, BS5, BV5, BV4-50, Beosystem 3, BL3, DVD1, Beoremote 4, Moment.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 6:09 PM
I would say it's slightly different. "Swiss made" is the definition or minimum standard of a quality watch for many people. It defines the whole industry. I don't think the same is true for Denmark and A/V equipment. If Denmark was the spiritual home to all other high quality A/V businesses too then I'm sure B&O would be manufacturing everything their too but at greater cost.

It's not greed to try to reduce a cost base to make profits. It's good business sense.

I'm sure some will disagree and may not buy B&O made in China (and that is their prerogative) but I suspect not enough to justify transferring production back to Denmark.
seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 999
Bronze Member
The Swiss do indeed make some of the best audio equipment - Psi Audio, Weiss, Ch Precision, Soulution - perhaps B&O should move manufacturing there as it might reignite my trust for B&O after a Bs5 that collected dust under the glass screen, was sent for repairs and came back with more dust, to be replaced as motherboard failed and then the new replacement Bs5 collected dust again after B&O had redesigned the rubber seals.

Present: BL90, Core, BL6000, CD7000, Beogram 7000, Essence Remote.

Past: BL1, BL2, BL8000, BS9000, BL5, BC2, BS5, BV5, BV4-50, Beosystem 3, BL3, DVD1, Beoremote 4, Moment.

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 6:24 PM

Duels:
I would say it's slightly different. "Swiss made" is the definition or minimum standard of a quality watch for many people. It defines the whole industry. I don't think the same is true for Denmark and A/V equipment. If Denmark was the spiritual home to all other high quality A/V businesses too then I'm sure B&O would be manufacturing everything their too but at greater cost.

It's not greed to try to reduce a cost base to make profits. It's good business sense.

I'm sure some will disagree and may not buy B&O made in China (and that is their prerogative) but I suspect not enough to justify transferring production back to Denmark.

B&O is perceived as a Danish brand and I believe the provenance is important. To charge the premium for the assumed source and pocket the savings does not seem to have integrity. I spoke to a member of the Alessi family a while back about their guidelines for sourcing their goods from places other than Italy and they were prepared to pay a little bit over the odds to avoid passing off non-Italian goods as being from their lakeside factory. The new Fiat 124 Spider is a Fiat rather than an Alfa Romeo as its produced by Mazda in Japan. 

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 6:28 PM
Simonbeo:

B&O is perceived as a Danish brand and I believe the provenance is important. To charge the premium for the assumed source and pocket the savings does not seem to have integrity. I spoke to a member of the Alessi family a while back about their guidelines for sourcing their goods from places other than Italy and they were prepared to pay a little bit over the odds to avoid passing off non-Italian goods as being from their lakeside factory. The new Fiat 124 Spider is a Fiat rather than an Alfa Romeo as its produced by Mazda in Japan.

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8 , MX 5500 . Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.

To be fair they are hardly "pocketing the savings". If B&O was hugely profitable that might just might be the case but the business is still losing money.
Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 6:39 PM

Indeed. They'd be losing even more money if the products were as people assumed them to be sourced. Some would buy a Danish assembled Danish product but not want anodised alumium created by a low -paid dorm-living Chinese worker.

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 678
Bronze Member

Duels:
...and I don't mind where things are made as such.

Agree, for as long as:

- product's pricing category is not "luxury product" (Apple is premium, but B&O is luxury)

- product is not positioned as a "design item" rather than mass-market item, and

- there is a significant component of design and origin ethos bulit into a brand as a part of its UVP

But I guess that's very individual decision for every customer, and it won't prevent me from buying if the product is "right". Only I would never be 100% delighted.

Page 1 of 2 (55 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS