Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Software update BV14-40

rated by 0 users
This post has 78 Replies | 5 Followers

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 707
Bronze Member
kuyttendaele Posted: Tue, Aug 30 2016 8:10 PM
My BV14 just installed a software update.

New feature: Netflix is removed...

Can't find a way to add it back :-/

Karel.
1983beo
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 127
Bronze Member
1983beo replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 9:36 PM
Correct. Got a call from my dealer. No Netflix in beovision 14 and horizon permanently.

The offer a free Apple TV for customers already bought a horizon Sad

I was just happy that I not have to use an Apple TV
Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Tue, Aug 30 2016 9:43 PM

Could this have to do with that whole business about that hideous Netflix button on a version of the BeoRemote One BT? If the resolution is no Netflix on the B&O TV's so be it. That button  was bad... so perhaps it is better that B&O don't have to go into licensing for that.

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 707
Bronze Member
One of the reasons I bought the BV14 was to have 4K Netflix content :-(

In the mean time I figured out how to add Netflix through the Google Play store... but you can't add Netflix to the "Devices" list.

I can login into Netflix, see all the content... but can't play any content...

Also... the Apple TV can't play 4K content
beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 12:14 AM

I would expect the upcoming Oppo UHD blu-ray player to provide Netflix 4k. I haven't been able to confirm whether the current Oppo player offers Netflix in 4K.

Gennaro
Not Ranked
Bronx, NY
Posts 78
Bronze Member
Gennaro replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 5:45 AM
I believe the Amazon Fire TV does Netflik on 4K

Beovision 11-55, BeoPlay V1 40, Beosound 9000, Beolab 8000's and 3 Beocom 5's... Smile

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 6:52 AM

kuyttendaele:

In the mean time I figured out how to add Netflix through the Google Play store... but you can't add Netflix to the "Devices" list.

I can login into Netflix, see all the content... but can't play any content...

Also... the Apple TV can't play 4K content

And yet again, this proves that the new B&O is not for me... I will not accept paying a lot of money for something I am promised, and then it, either never comes, gets removed or is way buggy...

So sad.. I guess this will change when they transfer to LG, then we don't have to worry about B&O SW in tv's any more.

/Weebyx

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 9:00 AM

kuyttendaele:

That really is bad PR for B&O. Not much 4K content, some of this is on Netflix, we go out and buy the TV for this content, then they remove it without notice?

Bv7Mk3
Top 150 Contributor
uk
Posts 781
Bronze Member
Bv7Mk3 replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 9:27 AM
If I had bought a Bv 14 and this happend it would have gone back. It's like saying here's a car and a week later turn up and take engine.you bought the car not the engine.
Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 9:31 AM
moxxey:

That really is bad PR for B&O. Not much 4K content, some of this is on Netflix, we go out and buy the TV for this content, then they remove it without notice?

Odd. Very odd.
Brigantinus
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 140
Bronze Member

Maybe this is the B&O understanding of a "smart TV".

The three main video streaming services have to work without 3rd party devices in a modern TELEVISION.

- Netflix

- You Tube

- Amazon Video

These three are represented and used in all "western countries". The local weather channel or streaming services from local broadcasters are just a "nice to have".

Why does it work with Sony TVs (Android), but not with a x-times higher prized B&O? I am really disappointed.

P.S.: Now i have no argument against my wife to buy a new television. The main argument was, that all other devices aren't needed any more...  AngrySadAngrySad

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@Brigantinus

Just that you know:

Amazon Video is not available in Denmark

On the other hand the bigger danish online tv providers aren't available on the Google platform.

Please give us a 'non SmartTV version' of these tv's - or at least the possibility to disable the not very SmartTV part.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Marcello
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 213
Bronze Member
Marcello replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 1:23 PM

Sal:

Could this have to do with that whole business about that hideous Netflix button on a version of the BeoRemote One BT? If the resolution is no Netflix on the B&O TV's so be it. That button  was bad... so perhaps it is better that B&O don't have to go into licensing for that.

I bet that Netflix found out about the "workaround" of offering two different remotes and had the legal team write one of those nice letters about contract breaching. I honestly didn't think that B&O would have got away with it... it was a matter of time. And terrible strategy in Struer BTW..

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 1:54 PM

These reason is 100% SIMPLE. Fact: Netflix are using from new AV1 codec from 2017!

I guess if B&O do not have Netflix as a app from the beginning, there will not be any confusion as AV1 will be a hardware upgrade not software for the TV.

For now, buy a Amazon Fire TV at £59 to get Netflix in 4K and then wait and see what happens next year with AV1 compatible boxes! 

Everyone seems to have agreed on AV1 EXCEPT Apple! It is less compressed and offers HDR with 4K etc.

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 2:13 PM

This explains all...

http://www.streamingmedia.com/Articles/Editorial/What-Is-.../What-is-AV1-111497.aspx

ngnear
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 245
Bronze Member
ngnear replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 2:22 PM
Fact is that the Alliance for Open Media plan to release the AV1 Codec sometime between Dec 16 and March 17.

Only then will we know who/when will deploy it.

There are also questions regarding IP related legal challenges.

The situation may not actually be as simple as it appears.
moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 2:28 PM

Paul W:

These reason is 100% SIMPLE. Fact: Netflix are using from new AV1 codec from 2017!

Paul, I don't think they'd remove the app from the TV in Summer 2016, just after launch, based on Netflix shifting to a different codec in 2017.

It's either a royalty issue or a technical reason that can't be resolved, so it's been removed.

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 4:41 PM
I think it's a licensing issue. That's why it is now revoked from the software - most probably. The solution with two different remotes was a dubious choice from the beginning and I thought this would happen. But at the same time the demand from Netflix to have a button like that on a remote is really a very unfriendly way to strong arm manufacturers. Imagine having a button for every kind of service. Would not make sense. If they require it, they could have settled with the dark red "N" logo that is used on the app image for every handheld device. Would have worked on the BeoRemote One for sure.

So now what's the reason for android? Unsure

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 4:49 PM

B&O: Just make great TV cabinets, source the top screens, and make the best video & sound processors as their brains. Leave the "smarts" to other companies and have users connect STBs (ie. Apple TV, Roku, TiVO). Even now, I never, ever use the "smart TV" capability in the BV11. It is just too slow and janky for any useful use. I just use the connected ATV and TiVO for all that. Leave that to the experts. B&O, do what YOU do best. 

I'll go into my old man corner now. :-)

Bv7Mk3
Top 150 Contributor
uk
Posts 781
Bronze Member
Bv7Mk3 replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 5:21 PM
My heart has sank,no HDR and now no Netflix has just killed me getting 2 bv14's and not worth looking at Avant ng. Hope the new oled will have all?
Martin
Not Ranked
Sweden, Skövde
Posts 59
Bronze Member
Martin replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 8:17 PM

Paul W:

This explains all...

http://www.streamingmedia.com/Articles/Editorial/What-Is-.../What-is-AV1-111497.aspx

So, just when intel now has hardcoded vp9 into it's chips to let us watch 4k with longer battery time on laptops the media dumps it and change to av1. This is such a laugh at the consumers expense.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

kuyttendaele:
My BV14 just installed a software update.

New feature: Netflix is removed...

Can't find a way to add it back :-/

Karel.

Please keep us posted, if anything changes.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

BeoMegaMan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 601
Bronze Member

Settle down folks. Netflix will return during the already planned November SW release which brings a ton more features as well. I do enjoy reading the conspiracy theories though. Big Smile

Ah, you know... A little B&O here, a little there 

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 9:19 PM

BeoMegaMan:

Settle down folks. Netflix will return during the already planned November SW release which brings a ton more features as well. I do enjoy reading the conspiracy theories though. Big Smile

That might be, but why do they not inform people that Netflix will be removed for 2-3 months, and why do they offer an AppleTV as compensation ? Maybe it will be solved, but that is just not the way to do it !!

/Weebyx

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 9:20 PM
A bit irritating to have to do without Netflix for three months if you buy one of these now.
Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 9:21 PM

BeoMegaMan:

Shhhh, a little birdie told me that due to licensing issues with DLNA software, online music streaming companies, and other technicalities, B&O will be unveiling a new music system (not a standalone speaker) released with Multiroom, inbuilt display and local storage of media too. It should be released around the Holidays at the end of 2016.

*wakes up* Oh, I've been dreaming again... 

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 9:24 PM
Sal:

Shhhh, a little birdie told me that due to licensing issues with DLNA software, online music streaming companies, and other technicalities, B&O will be unveiling a new music system (not a standalone speaker) released with Multiroom, inbuilt display and local storage of media too. It should be released around the Holidays at the end of 2016.

Now that would've been nice Sal.
BeoMegaMan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 601
Bronze Member
BeoMegaMan replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 10:11 PM

Sal:

BeoMegaMan:

I know what you're trying to do! LOL Big SmileStick out tongue

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 11:44 PM

Is that true? My BV14 arrives next Tuesday, but having cabling prep work done tomorrow....guess i'll need to shove an Amazon Fire TV in the back of BV14......seems very weird removing Netflix.....when i played with a BV14 last week, Netflix was there in the Android TV environment.....oh well

longer term, if Netflix switch to AV1 codecs, will the BV14 (or any 4K tv with similar specs) not be able to play Netflix in 4k ever? 

i know their 4K content is extremely limited, but still.....

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 922
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 11:59 PM
Sal:

B&O: Just make great TV cabinets, source the top screens, and make the best video & sound processors as their brains. Leave the "smarts" to other companies and have users connect STBs (ie. Apple TV, Roku, TiVO). Even now, I never, ever use the "smart TV" capability in the BV11. It is just too slow and janky for any useful use. I just use the connected ATV and TiVO for all that. Leave that to the experts. B&O, do what YOU do best.

👍👍

Totally agree
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Thu, Sep 1 2016 10:43 AM
mjmedlo:

Sal:

👍👍

Totally agree

Totally totally agree

Except for the bit about retiring to the corner

Battle on ok' Don Quixote !!!

BeoNut since '75

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Sep 1 2016 11:13 AM

mjmedlo:

👍👍

Totally agree

Apart from those people - me included - who don't like all the cabling to their TV, the cabinets you need to store the devices and so on. I really love the BV11 design where it has space to store the Apple TV. I'd rather have fewer cables hanging off the back of my B&O.

Besides, if you're going to licence and make a big deal of making an Android TV, it's a complete contradiction to tell B&O to push all the support for apps etc to third-party devices.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Sep 1 2016 11:28 AM

Ok, think i have some insight into this....i'm in the middle of my BV14 install, so have been speaking to my dealer....

long story short, Netflix have thrown their toys out of the pram, and blocked the app from the B&O TVs running Android TV......why? the salesman i spoke to, who is very experienced and knowledgeable, and who was at some B&O/Audi events yesterday, said that the dealer network was given notice last week from B&O that the app would be blocked, largely because Neflix dont want to support a small scale manufacturer.......

he also saw some email traffic between senior management at B&O and Netflix, which suggests B&O are fairly livid with this development.........

does this mean Netflix will re-appear? not out of the realms of possibility, and the B&O chief is trying to sort this out, but your guess is as good as mine, we're in the realms of company politics and strategy now....anyway for time being at least, solution will be an 3rd party box......

given Amazon Prime will likely never appear on Android TV, an external box (Amazon Fire TV 2nd gen) may be necessary anyway for 4K....if you're a subscriber to both at least, which i am.......

not sure if any of that helps, but there you go...

Brigantinus
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 140
Bronze Member

Is the Amazon Fire TV 2nd gen with the BR One BT controlable?

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Sep 1 2016 11:45 AM

believe so yes.......the Amazon Fire TV 1st gen is certainly controllable with the Beoremote One, though it requires a BT/IR little switch ......the 2nd gen will work i am told as well....whether that requires the same little switch or not, i dont know......but i'm pretty confident it will all work.....

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 707
Bronze Member

@Sandyb thanks for your input... Hope B&O can sort things out asap... :-(

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Thu, Sep 1 2016 11:48 AM
BeoMegaMan:

Settle down folks. Netflix will return during the already planned November SW release which brings a ton more features as well. I do enjoy reading the conspiracy theories though.

Source please.

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 707
Bronze Member

Got a reply from BeoCare:

Thank you for your request. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

Subject

Good morning, I bought a BV14-40 last week. Yesterdayevening the tv requested to...

Response By Email 
Dear Karel Uyttendaele,

Thank you for writing Bang & Olufsen Customer service with your request - and congratulations on your BeoVision 14.

Netflix will not be implemented as an integrated feature inBeoVision 14, which the software update yesterday reflected.  However, we shall of course offer you an alternative solution in form of a complimentary Apple TV, that will easily integrate in the back of the television and which you can of course control  by means of your BeoRemote One. 

As your dealer will provide you with the complimentary Apple TV unit and help you further in this matter, we kindly refer you to contact the store at your convenience in order to obtain further assistance. 

We are sorry for the trouble and wish you many superior viewing experiences with your new Bang & Olufsen television.

Kind regards,
Customer Service

Bang & Olufsen A/S | Peter Bangs Vej 15 | DK-7600 Struer | Denmark
www.bang-olufsen.com| www.beoplay.com
BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,417
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Thu, Sep 1 2016 3:13 PM
Ask Beocare how can you watch 4k Netflix programs (that's why you bought the most expensive ever 40" lcd 4k tv) with the Apple tv ?
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Sep 1 2016 3:26 PM

surely they should be offering an Amazon Fire Tv 2nd gen, thats 4k capable....?!?

Page 1 of 2 (79 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS