Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Connecting active studio monitors (XLR/Jack) to BeoCenter 9500

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

nkbitsch
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
nkbitsch Posted: Wed, Aug 31 2016 7:56 AM

Hi everyone!

I'm planning on connecting my active Genelec studio monitors to my BeoCenter 9500. I just can't figure out the best way of connecting them.

The speakers usually runs balanced XLR, though I'm aware that the powerlink doesn't deliver a balanced output. A balanced connection is not important to me.

I have a few XLR -> Jack cables, and as I can figure out, this would be the easiest way of connecting the speakers to the BeoCenter.

The question now is, how would I be able to connect the male jacks to the powerlink output? I found these "Female jack -> 5-pin male DIN adaptors" (http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/993566/DIN-connector-Jack-Audiophono-Adapter-1x-Diode-plug-5-pin-DIN-1x-Jack-socket-35-mm-Silver-Goobay).

Will they be sufficient, or do i have to build my own cable?

I hope some of you have experience within this matter.

/Niels

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Niels,

Your Beocenter 9500 is perfect for driving the Genelec monitors via the Powerlink outputs on the Beocenter, as these are pretty close to being standard unbalanced variable line outputs.

If you can please advise which model of Genelec speakers you have, I will be pleased to confirm the best option for connecting them.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

nkbitsch
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
nkbitsch replied on Wed, Aug 31 2016 3:05 PM

Hi Steve!

Thank you so much! My Genelecs are model 8040A (http://www.genelec.com/support-technology/previous-models/8040a-studio-monitor)

Best

Niels

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Niels,

Thanks for this, we are best to use the XLR inputs on these speakers.  I can build Powerlink to 3 pin XLR cables in any length required, if you can please drop me a line via my sponsor link at the foot of the page, or email me at steve@soundsheavenly.co.uk with the cable lengths you would like for each speaker then I will be pleased to quote for these cables.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

stefan
Top 50 Contributor
200 miles from Struer
Posts 2,920
Bronze Member
stefan replied on Thu, Sep 1 2016 2:26 PM

nkbitsch:

Hi everyone!

I'm planning on connecting my active Genelec studio monitors to my BeoCenter 9500. I just can't figure out the best way of connecting them.

The speakers usually runs balanced XLR, though I'm aware that the powerlink doesn't deliver a balanced output. A balanced connection is not important to me.

I have a few XLR -> Jack cables, and as I can figure out, this would be the easiest way of connecting the speakers to the BeoCenter.

The question now is, how would I be able to connect the male jacks to the powerlink output? I found these "Female jack -> 5-pin male DIN adaptors" (http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/993566/DIN-connector-Jack-Audiophono-Adapter-1x-Diode-plug-5-pin-DIN-1x-Jack-socket-35-mm-Silver-Goobay).

Will they be sufficient, or do i have to build my own cable?

I hope some of you have experience within this matter.

/Niels

You can use your XLR-Jack cables, if the Jacks are mono and the XLR plug is bridged PIN 1-3 (signal-/ground) PIN 2 is signal + and should be on the tip of the jack. Of course you need two of these cables. And yes, you can use the 5pin DIN/ mini jack adapter shown in your conrad-link. PIN3 is left signal, PIN5 is right signal PIN2 is ground (the same is Powerlink out). Now you need a stereo mini-jack to 2x Jack adapter/cable.

Genelecs active monitors with balanced XLR inputs are meant to work usually in a studio environment, which means a +4dbu studio level.

The Beocenter`s Powerlink will output a hifi preamp level, I think which normally means -10dbv. So there might be a little mismatch (not sure, I`m not a technician...), but it should work.

I`d work with 2x XLR/rca plugs for the Genelecs, the 5pin DIN connector for the BC and stereo 3,5mm jack/ 2x rca cable to connect these two worlds.

Or soldering a special cable might also be a good idea.

Nice setup btw...

Stefan

stefan
Top 50 Contributor
200 miles from Struer
Posts 2,920
Bronze Member
stefan replied on Thu, Sep 1 2016 2:32 PM

Forgot:

You have to turn on/off your Genelcs manually. Powerlink (on the BC9500) delivers 5V on PIN1, when it is active, and 0V in stdby mode.

Maybe you can find a relay solution to turn on  220-240V via 5V for the Genelecs. I know, Peter Pan can ....

Stefan

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Stefan,

Yes, this works well, you can use Powerlink into a balanced input without any problems, the Genelecs have a wide range of level adjustment so there is no loss of signal level.  Technically you reduce the CMRR (common mode rejection ratio, ie. noise immunity) although with good shielded cables over fairly short lengths this won't be a problem.

I normally suggest saving the Beocenter volume at a fairly high level (typically 50-75%) to give a good clear signal to the speakers and to give responsive volume and tone adjustment via the speaker controls.

As the Beocenter is well shielded, there shouldn't be any spurious noise on the audio channels when the Beocenter is on standby, hence I would suggest leaving the speakers powered on.  Many of my musician friends insist on leaving their monitor speakers permanently on to avoid tonal changes during the warming up period.

I've suggested some suitable cables to Niels by email.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS