Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Whistle

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Austin
Top 500 Contributor
United States
Posts 136
Bronze Member
Austin Posted: Thu, Sep 1 2016 9:34 PM

All, I am hearing a whistle from one of my BeoLab 5. It's coming from around the upper bass speaker. It almost sounds like something is loose. I only really hear it at high volumes with really low bass.

Any ideas?

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Sep 1 2016 10:14 PM

Sounds like the driver mounting screws might be a bit loose, allowing air to escape from around the driver mounting gasket making a squeak or whistle. I expect they can work loose over time given the amount of deep bass the 5s can produce, could rattle them loose over time. If you take the frets off try gently tightening them, but don't overtighten and strip anything!

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Austin
Top 500 Contributor
United States
Posts 136
Bronze Member
Austin replied on Thu, Sep 1 2016 11:27 PM

Jeff,

Thank you for the prompt response! I took off the top and there was one very loose screw at the bottom. Tightened it, but still didn't fix it. I'm going to open it up again and check all the screws again. I don't know what else it could be. 

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Sep 2 2016 11:15 AM

Might still be a mounting screw loose elsewhere on the driver, or could be that the gasket between the driver and the cabinet has a kink or tear or something in it. I've not had the chance to ever pull a BL5 apart so I don't know what the gaskets and such look like. Nice speakers though! I muddle through as best I can with "just" a pair of BL9s. Smile

I'd be sure and test it before putting the cover on, not impossible that the cover is squeaking I guess, but probably still around the mid-woofer. Also, might think about getting the tube from a roll of paper towels and holding it to your ear and moving the other end around the edge of the driver to see exactly where the whistle is coming from. Just be careful as apparently you have to play it loud to get it to make the noise and you wouldn't want to launch your left ear drum out of your right ear!

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS