Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beosound 9000 aux in and record player

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

plumber77
Not Ranked
Posts 76
Bronze Member
plumber77 Posted: Sun, Sep 4 2016 12:04 PM
Just bought a Rega turntable and want to run it thru my beo 9000 aux in. Does it need a pre amp??
Opman
Top 200 Contributor
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Posts 443
Bronze Member
Opman replied on Sun, Sep 4 2016 12:51 PM

Yes

plumber77
Not Ranked
Posts 76
Bronze Member
plumber77 replied on Sun, Sep 4 2016 12:57 PM
Ta!

What I've been reading a line level input amp

Would that do the trick?

Obviously the speakers are active I presume it just boosts the level enough for the BS9000 to recognise an input.

I have an airport express which I also presume has one but in.

Cheers mark
Opman
Top 200 Contributor
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Posts 443
Bronze Member
Opman replied on Sun, Sep 4 2016 2:31 PM

The Pre-amp gets the output from the turntable to line level. Without it you will have to crank the volume up full and even then probably only hear a whisper. A pre-amp can cost from £30 to £500. 

Usually pre-amps have two phone sockets input and two output. You will need to get a phono to 5 pin din plug to go into the aux socket on your BeoSound 9000.

Opman

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Sep 4 2016 3:48 PM

Not only is it a very low level output, the turntable, but it needs significant equalization, RIAA eq, to sound right. In order to even get playable music on an LP a pretty serious equalization is required, without the inverse applied the sound will be no bass and shrieking treble, because the LP medium itself can't handle large amounts of bass recorded on the LP without the stylus skipping out of the grooves, but reproduces high freq pretty well.

But there are many, many phono preamps out there by a large variety of makers. I like the ones from phonopreamps.com, mainly because they make a model, which I have, ideal for use with B&O tables. But their stuff is inexpensive and sounds good.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Sun, Sep 4 2016 5:29 PM

Jeff:
But there are many, many phono preamps out there by a large variety of makers. I like the ones from phonopreamps.com, mainly because they make a model, which I have, ideal for use with B&O tables. But their stuff is inexpensive and sounds good.

Jeff, is this the one you have? And what are your thoughts on this turntable, an entry level turntable from Pro-Ject with an inbuilt RIAA.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi plumber77,

Yes, all current and recent Rega turntables need a pre-amp to equalise and boost the sound, as Rega don't supply pre-amps built into their turntables.  I can offer this pre-amp as a bundle including all cables and full instructions, if you are interested, ready to “plug and play”:-

http://soundsheavenly.com/beogram-record-players/12--preamp-.html – please choose the “5 pin DIN plug” output option for your Beosound 9000.

To listen to the turntable, simply press "A.Aux" on the B&O keypad, or select this on the B&O remote control by pressing the "LIST" button until the display shows "A.AUX", then pressing "GO".

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Sep 4 2016 8:11 PM

Hi Sal,

That is not what I have, it's only a line level volume controller, which would be perfect if you use a turntable with a built in preamp to adjust the level to where it matches other sources. Most phono preamps have lower output than say a CD player. Especially true for the B&O MMC cartridges, so I use this.

That's a gorgeous turntable! If you can't get a Transcriptor or a Beogram, that's as sexy as they come. Good company, has all the right audiophile buzzwords and features. If my Beogram went tango uniform I'd be sorely tempted, but I wish it had at least auto lift. I'm sure it would sound good and give you years of service. Lack of auto lift and such is why I went back to my Beogram from my VPI...I found that I had to put my pipe down and slip my slippers back on too often to get up and lift the tonearm off the record! Stick out tongue Given that issue, I'd buy one of these, maybe even given that just because it is so pretty.

Jeff

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Sun, Sep 4 2016 9:05 PM

Thanks for your thoughts, Jeff.

I currently have a Beogram 6500 Turntable, which, with an adapter from Sounds heavenly, incidentally, is plugged in to the RCA inputs of the Beosound Essence. I really do like it, I've been it's second owner for a while now. It has recently been serviced because the tonearm kept falling off the edge of the LPs when starting to play. It also likely needs a new cartridge, which I've been procrastinating on purchasing. I should just bite the bullet and order one from The SoundSmith.

Because of its age, and the need for the service recently, I've been mulling over the idea of perhaps finding it another home, and getting myself a more modern (current) turntable. How anachronistic! If I do go that route, a Pro-Ject is likely on top of my list. After your reassuring opinions on that company, I looked a bit deeper and they have a line called "Essential" one of which has an inbuilt RIAA as well as toslink out!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Sep 4 2016 9:39 PM

Pro-Ject has been around for a while, they are well regarded by most audio mags and such. Really though, making a manual turntable should be doable for a company, it's not as if it's complex like a Beogram or such. Decent, low mass arm, decent arm and table bearings, etc. are not rocket science.

I have the same issue with my Beogram 3000 that I need to address, either myself or take it and the broken one I have to a nearby repair place and have both serviced. I dread when my MMC2 dies which it eventually will. Then I'll be forced to decide, new table, or fix the cartridge. I like having a turntable but don't listen to vinyl much at all, couple of LPs a year or so. That is one beautiful table you found though.

Jeff

Professor David A Flynn JP
Top 500 Contributor
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Posts 116
Bronze Member

Hello I purchased a pre-amp from Quality Dream Audio.  Quality Dream Audio build their own up and this is listed on their website.  I have found the one that I use is brilliant and covers a range of my turntables.  I am sure QDA will be able to assist you if you contact them.

ProfDA

Professor David A Flynn JP LM

Big Smile

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Sal:

I currently have a Beogram 6500 Turntable, which, with an adapter from Sounds heavenly, incidentally, is plugged in to the RCA inputs of the Beosound Essence. I really do like it, I've been it's second owner for a while now. It has recently been serviced because the tonearm kept falling off the edge of the LPs when starting to play. It also likely needs a new cartridge, which I've been procrastinating on purchasing. I should just bite the bullet and order one from The SoundSmith.

Because of its age, and the need for the service recently, I've been mulling over the idea of perhaps finding it another home, and getting myself a more modern (current) turntable. How anachronistic! If I do go that route, a Pro-Ject is likely on top of my list. After your reassuring opinions on that company, I looked a bit deeper and they have a line called "Essential" one of which has an inbuilt RIAA as well as toslink out!

Hi Sal,

I went through the same dilemma a while ago, after the MMC4 cartridge failed on my Beogram 3500, the various used ones I bought on ebay just didn't measure up, with a dull and lifeless tone.  I finally paid out for a brand new Sound Smith SMMC4 and I was very very impressed, the whole system sounds much better now, with clear treble and a nice tight bass.

I can (and do!) recommend Sound Smith highly for their cartridges - not cheap, but worth every penny!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
Sal:

when plugging into the aux-in of the essence, dies the line-sensing works. I don't like the need to use a remote to turn on or off anything. if this setup allows to just start the vinyl and it plays, this would be a dream. plus then distributing the signal to any speaker I want through the beomusic app or even play everywhere in sync.
steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Wed, Sep 7 2016 12:44 PM
any thoughts on the essence line-in? or ML/NL line-in, which I'd assume works the same way?
Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS