Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BM8000 Faults

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Chris
Not Ranked
Nottingham UK
Posts 31
Bronze Member
Chris Posted: Tue, Sep 6 2016 2:11 PM
I am having a couple of issues with my BM8000.
1. If it is switched on sometimes it buzzes (compete with clipping light) for a fraction of a second. 
It then plays the source selected for about 8 seconds, same length every time and will switch to a different source/function happily for them 8 seconds until output is lost (display still on and able to switch/move). Sometimes but not every time it will also go wild after this and select radio stations at random (still no output). If you try to switch it back on without turning it off at the plug it is silent (displays still on). Until you turn it off and turn it off at the wall and try again to fully restart it. Sometimes it then works straight away sometimes it doesn't. 
2. The volume LED display doesn't show all segments. Gently tapping/pressing on the volume LED display seems to bring it to life apart from two crystals which seem dead. So a loose connection is inside here for sure along with possibly a couple of broken LEDs . The source and frequency LED displays work fine and there is a dead crystal on the balance. 
I opened the old gal up to have a look to see if anything seemed obviously broken.
What I did notice is how fragile it all feels (aside from the huge lump of iron in the middle). I am terrified to pull or move anything for fear of breaking off something or damaging another connection/wire. What particularly frightens me is the ribbon cables going into the sealed logic board. If I was to remove the display board and the logic board how would I unhook these wires safely? I guess this is where the fault is and re flowing the joints here might sort things. 
If it turns on and there is no buzz initally it will work reliably for hours until you get bored of listening! 

Any advice on the forums?

Chris 
Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Tue, Sep 6 2016 2:39 PM
Sounds like it's time for a complete refurb.

Mines been done and it now behaves perfectly.

The boards aren't all that fragile but you do have to take care. The display board has two screws holding it down at the top and the CPU board is hinged at the bottom. The flexible ribbons are just plugged in at the bottom of the CPU board and just unplug.

Have a look at the service manual.

If you aren't confident it's probably best to get someone else to have a look at it.

Lee
sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Tue, Sep 6 2016 3:18 PM

The Beomaster 8000 is a wonderful receiver but it is in need of a restoration. Typically, a lot of the problems are mechanical (wiring connections), old electrolytic capacitors and, regarding the display segments, expired LEDs. All of the problems can be solved but it can be quite an undertaking. Here is a Beoworld workbench thread and a blog by Beolover that will give you an idea of the scope of work that could be involved.

-sonavor

Chris
Not Ranked
Nottingham UK
Posts 31
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Tue, Sep 6 2016 4:09 PM

Is this available on this site?

(service manual) 

Thankyou for the reply :)  

Chris
Not Ranked
Nottingham UK
Posts 31
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Tue, Sep 6 2016 4:09 PM

Is this available on this site?

(service manual) 

Thankyou for the reply :)  

Chris
Not Ranked
Nottingham UK
Posts 31
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Tue, Sep 6 2016 4:13 PM

A rebuild it is. 

Is the service manual available on here? 

I am just going to have to get stuck in and start dismantling, labeling everything a long the way. . I am pretty handy with components and soldering so I am not a total novice. Bring out the contact cleaner. 

Luckily I have a reliable beocenter 8500 to use whilst it happens. 

The display board didn't have any screws holding it in at the top so they are missing. 

Failing that, do you know anyone in the UK who is good? 

Chris
Not Ranked
Nottingham UK
Posts 31
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Tue, Sep 6 2016 4:14 PM

I had a good look throughout that thread before as part of the investigation. Its very informative and has given me a lot of fantastic information! 

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Tue, Sep 6 2016 4:31 PM

Okay, good luck and post pictures as you proceed. The workbench community is here to help guide you along so if you can provide pictures of the problem it will help.

-sonavor

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Tue, Sep 6 2016 6:06 PM
Yes the service manual is available on site to silver and gold members.

One of my BM8000s didn't have the screws at the top of the display board either but the other one did. Must have been a change at some point or it's been looked at in the past and they weren't replaced.

I did know someone in the UK but he's stopped doing electronic repairs now.

You could try and get in touch with Tim Jarman who's a BM8000 expert but he's usually very very busy.

Lee
AdamS
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 373
Gold Member
AdamS replied on Wed, Sep 7 2016 1:00 PM

Chris :

Failing that, do you know anyone in the UK who is good? 

As mentioned, Tim Jarman is the man you need. He is indeed in high demand for repairs but knows these units inside out. He can be contacted through his Beocentral website.

Chris
Not Ranked
Nottingham UK
Posts 31
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Wed, Sep 7 2016 1:53 PM

Thanks guys who recommended Tim Jarman, 

I have contacted him to see if he is able to help :)

I have also ordered a capacitor kit and found a manual for it on the net which will help me. 

Cheers

Chris  

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS