Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

How to remove sticky stuff in Beomaster 3500?

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

R2D2
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 12
Bronze Member
R2D2 Posted: Tue, Jul 31 2012 8:44 PM

Hello there

I have started my first renovation project. A BeoMaster 3500 from 1998. It fits perfectly on the shelf where it should be (and it fits the Misses:-)). Until now, power cord is changed since the previous owner had shortened it to 10 cm. Then I changed the speaker relay, as it only plays in one channel. If you pressed the "Mute" button several times you could sometimes get it to play in both channels. To be sure, I changed the relay, as it is still available as spare part.

Now for my question: The radio suffers from BM3500/4500 syndrome. The glass plate with touch panels is loose, (but whole). I want the old glue removed so I can glue it togehther with something new. I've tried with a knife, with the result that I had to repair the glass with nail polish. Are there some "chemical stuff" that can remove the old glue from the glass plate and the brackets?

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Tue, Jul 31 2012 8:58 PM

The only thing I can think of is acetone. But it will be a solvent for plastics and paint too, so beware!

It works nicely on real plexiglass though. It will remove cyano easily. Try out on a little portion with a Q-tip.

Jacques

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Tue, Jul 31 2012 9:29 PM

The best to use is white spirit aka mineral spirits aka refined petrol. Comes of easily after 5-10minutes and can be used for both plastic frames (dip it in entirely) as the glasspanel (just the adhesive part, use a brush)!

Brengen & Ophalen

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Wed, Aug 1 2012 2:40 PM

There was a photo thread on the old Beomuse site which detailed the best way to do this. Beocentral did have a number of these articles but I cannot find it now. Scraping is not recommended!

Peter

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Wed, Aug 1 2012 2:41 PM

I will make a picturized workinstruction soon to show how easy it can be done!

Brengen & Ophalen

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Aug 1 2012 4:06 PM

Most will come off if rubbed with a finger under lurky warm running water for a minute.
It will leave the foam tapes original binding base behind but the base material will stick
fine to the glass so will be fine for glueing onto.

Martin

Gregg
Top 500 Contributor
Colorado USA
Posts 143
Gold Member
Gregg replied on Mon, Aug 13 2012 3:57 PM

I have not found a quick way to do this, but I can get it done using the following two approaches:

Glass, I use goo-gone, a non toxic spray on liquid for the glass. I first scrape has much off as I can with a plastic tool that does not scratch. The spray, soak, and rub with a rough cloth. It takes about 30 minutes per glass panel.

For the plastic parts, I use 3m Automotive adhesive remover. This is nastier stuff, and attacks the plastic a little but it works well. Spray, wipe, spray again and repeat until it all comes off.

BeoLignage
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 207
Bronze Member

My new 3500 lost the glass after some transport Sad

I remember that my 4500 did the same just after I bought it... that one was repaired by BO since it was in for repair of a buzzing noise as well

so yesterday I tried to clean the "sticky stuff" from the plastic frame, medical petrol (aka refined petrol I suppose) did help a lot, I did not have the possibility to dip it in entirely but managed pretty good any way.

regarding the glasspanel, Leslie wrote " just the adhesive part, use a brush" do you mean that you use petrol after removing the speared grainy stuff. or do you mean that I have to use a brush to not remove the black color of the glass?

when it is all clean, what tape do you use to mount it again?

thankful for tips

solderon29
Top 150 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
Posts 764
Gold Member

I use something called appropriately "sticky stuff remover"! It's available from B&Q outlets in the U.K.or online from CPC.It's quite effective if left to soak in,and then the residue can be scraped off with a scrap credit card or similar.Don't use anything metalic to scrape off the residue,as it will damage the glass backing.If you do scratch the glass,you can repair it with black felt tip pen.

The solvent does'nt attack either the glass backing or the plastic frames.

It's a messy job,but worth the effort.

Nick

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Thu, Sep 6 2012 1:29 PM

I have used regular window cleaner, I guess it contains a little bit of alcohol, some dishwashing liquide and water. It removes stickiness and stuff rolls nicely off. It is safe for glass and paint on it. Acetone is the last chemical to use, in my opinion, melts plastic and wipes paint off, beware. Also dont use anything hard, just wood or plastick.

blah-blah and photographs as needed

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Thu, Sep 6 2012 1:57 PM

Wasbenzine in Dutch and (I think) white spirit in English. Try to avoid spoiling on the grey conductive areas. I did many of these panels and it works like a treat! Just dip it in 2-3 times times using a brush and use a soft plastic piece to "scrape" it off gently! The glue becomes like a kind of gelly stuf! 

Brengen & Ophalen

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Leslie:
Wasbenzine in Dutch and (I think) white spirit in English

Washbenzine is like Lighter Fluid, White spirit is more like Turpentine.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Thu, Sep 6 2012 9:07 PM

Gregg (member) has another one like "refined petrol"????

Don't use terpentine, to aggresive!

Brengen & Ophalen

Bob Marley
Not Ranked
Posts 71
Bronze Member

Lighter fluid worked perfectly scraping with soft plastic Thank you from 2018! Even though you wrote your post 6 years ago.

I did it on a Beocenter 9500. 

Now all those broken panel beocenters on ebay that sell for cheap will be real bargains and quick fixes for me. Thank you!

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Sat, Jul 28 2018 11:21 AM

Bob:

Lighter fluid worked perfectly scraping with soft plastic Thank you from 2018! Even though you wrote your post 6 years ago.

I did it on a Beocenter 9500. 

Now all those broken panel beocenters on ebay that sell for cheap will be real bargains and quick fixes for me. Thank you!

I have changed to just using warm water and my thumb, and just scrub it off when the old glue had been dissolved by the water.

No scratches at all.

/weebyx

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS