Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

The B&O portfolio

rated by 0 users
This post has 54 Replies | 2 Followers

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael Posted: Fri, Sep 9 2016 11:10 AM

Now there is nine different headphones in the BeoPlay brand and eight different speaker systems. This is all just BeoPlay. B&O has four different TV systems - each with many configurations to choose between, three "wireless speaker systems" and eleven different beolab (and one beovox) models.

The most interesting part is how many music source items they make. The answer is two. BeoSound Moment and BeoSound Essence.  All in all 22 different speaker systems and nine different pairs of headphones. A big difference in the different key areas.

The sound systems both rely on other technology to supply music. The Moment can browse online catalogues and your local storage media - the Essence can only stream things initiated from other devices.

It is pretty clear that B&O has changed a lot during the last years. I am surprised how a company of that size can put so much money into development and launch of so many products - and do it successfully. They should be proud of that, but also think about the speed of which they release new products next to the ones they already have. 

I like this old TED Talk and have seen it many times. It is interesting. So many choices but do we really want all those choices? Would it be better to focus on a few really good products?

https://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz_on_the_paradox_of_choice

I see that a lot of forum members buy almost everything that comes out, headphones, small bluetooth speakers and so on. I am a bit hesitant at the moment, after buying a few items myself. For one thing I would prefer a solution more focused on multi room technology (like the new BS1/2/BS35) - but in the price of Sonos - ergo the BeoPlay assortment. Bluetooth speakers rely mainly on your phone, and only to one unit (or two in stereo mode).

I also feel that the magic of a BeoCenter or BeoSound (like the ouverture, BS9000 and so on) is lost for now. We stream from our phones. The Moment is not magic enough.

What do you think?  How do we want B&O to evolve? Even more products? Better products? Better integration?  

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Hi Mike,

Great post :-)

I would like a BeoCentre / BeoSound.  I agree the moment isn't magic enough but it is now more stable. 

I dont really stream from my phone but i use the app as i have not much other choices.

On the other hand we dont need the app as each BS product is now intergrated with deezer and tune in so all you do it tap it.

I suppose the tapping is where the magic is, where it used to be glass opening for CDs. 

I think i have turned in to one of those that buy anything that's new - and that's because those products suit my habits.  BS1 for example: i wanted an NL product that i could use in the other room and as a standalone.

the A1 - i needed a conference phone and portable and easy to chuck in my bag.  Then i bought a second one solely to try out stereo lol, and then to use them as speakers for my imac. 

I prefer a solution based on multi room tech and i love that its wireless - i haven't had one issue with the wireless at all.  Very happy.   

I would like something more magic like multi room - pause video in one room and continue in another (natively).  

I think there are too many headphones, but there are so many different kinds that people like, so it makes sense. 

For any new products, I think a new category name rather than re hashing the old ones would be better. 

I wonder if the Beo prefix is odd for people?  Why not Vision 14, Lab x, Beo sounds odd, BO Is like Body Odour, and BNO doesn't translate.  

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Fri, Sep 9 2016 12:59 PM
The word you are looking for Michael is kleptomaniac. Wink
AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 678
Bronze Member

Great post indeed, and two points I would like to make:

I think on BeoPlay there is a flood of products, but perhaps market likes it. I bought A2 for example because at that time it was the smallest "travel" BT speaker. I never particularly liked its size, design etc but I said okay as it was still within the impulse buy pricing. Then A1 was announced, and I bought it - because it is what I originally needed. So now I have an A2 to "donate". :/ Same I could say with H7 and H5. I also have A6 and I like it a lot - still, if I could ever anticipate Beosound1 I would wait for that one (and pay more). Now I have learned to wait. ;)

Second point: product design is not really very consistant - it becomes difficult pairing products into something visually coherent. It's textile, wood, plastic, aluminium, leather... ...perforated, with lamellas and so on. I am losing it a bit.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Michael:

It is interesting. So many choices but do we really want all those choices? Would it be better to focus on a few really good products? 

Yes - we need them!

No - for that simple reason, that we will never agree on what 'a really good product' is!

I am happy that we now see so many different and also different looking products, that (via NL) can cooperate in our house.

Whether you want to go the more classic route (eg BV11/14 and BS35/BS1) or a more daring, modern way (eg V1, BV Horizon and A9...), you will be able to find a combination, that fits you/your home.

And you really don't need it all!

Just as you don't every headphones or the A2 and the A1 and the Beolit15....

You decide, what is a 'good product' and B&O gives you the possibility to choose.

Some people just need a tv (with a streaming box, a BRP) and a BT speaker to drag around - others want linked products in every room.

People are different - and so should the products from B&O be.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Aussie Michael:

I would like a BeoCentre / BeoSound.  

What would that be?

MM

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Fri, Sep 9 2016 1:47 PM

Michael:
The most interesting part is how many music source items they make. The answer is two. BeoSound Moment and BeoSound Essence.

Beoplay A6,

Beosound 35

Beoplay A9 mkII

even the new Beosound 1 & 2

are in my opinion sound sources

The only differences with the Essence mkII and the Moment: they have build in speakers.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Sep 9 2016 2:11 PM

Duels:

I think schizophrenic is a better description. Remember, schizophrenia means never having to be alone.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Fri, Sep 9 2016 2:46 PM
Millemissen:

Yes - we need them!

No - for that simple reason, that we will never agree on what 'a really good product' is!

I am happy that we now see so many different and also different looking products, that (via NL) can cooperate in our house.

Whether you want to go the more classic route (eg BV11/14 and BS35/BS1) or a more daring, modern way (eg V1, BV Horizon and A9...), you will be able to find a combination, that fits you/your home.

And you really don't need it all!

Just as you don't every headphones or the A2 and the A1 and the Beolit15....

You decide, what is a 'good product' and B&O gives you the possibility to choose.

Some people just need a tv (with a streaming box, a BRP) and a BT speaker to drag around - others want linked products in every room.

People are different - and so should the products from B&O be.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Totally agree with you MM.
Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Fri, Sep 9 2016 3:40 PM

Millemissen:

What would that be?

MM

I've been beating a dead horse with this one... B&O should make a modernized Beosound 5. Local storage, physical interaction, big vibrant screen, speedy navigation and connected features and NL for direct multiroom support. A true B&O Beosound. Heck just use the current  BS5 head unit and update the inside of a Beomaster 5 for CAT7 PL, NL,  and user swappable SSD or HDDs and I think they've got another winner. THAT is the product I've been waiting for. No reliance on a NAS, or 3rd parties that can cause the unit to break with updates. B&O already have the SW done. Just update the hardware to bring it to current spec. Or a new hideaway box not much bigger than an Essence can fit all of the new stuff in it. 

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
I'd buy one in an instant. There's no reason why it couldn't store UHD movies too.

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@Sal

The big question is - how many B&O buyers would want a device that only works, if you fill 'it' with music files? Who would want to fiddle with file tagging to be sure that the 'big vibrant screen' ctually shows, what you hear? How many would want to get up and walk to the device, if they already have 'a screen' in their hand? And how would you 'control' it from a connected/linked room?

While you are waiting, you could connect 'your' BM/BS5 to a NL/ML Converter and to the NL....

.....and be (almost) done.

MM

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Fri, Sep 9 2016 5:52 PM

Millemissen:

@Sal

The big question is - how many B&O buyers would want a device that only works, if you fill 'it' with music files? Who would want to fiddle with file tagging to be sure that the 'big vibrant screen' ctually shows, what you hear? How many would want to get up and walk to the device, if they already have 'a screen' in their hand? And how would you 'control' it from a connected/linked room?

While you are waiting, you could connect 'your' BM/BS5 to a NL/ML Converter and to the NL....

.....and be (almost) done.

MM

I think those who love their current Beosound 5's would flock to this, and quite a number of BeoWorlders here would as well. I think there is a market for such a device. As for tagging, we already do this whether we have it for Beosound 5, or to get the Moment to display files with Twonky Server on our NAS's we're not going to get away from Tagging until a universal standard is adopted. As for wanting to walk up to the device, we already have the BeoMusic App, and I'm sure with the "magic" of B&O's interactive dials (of the current BS5), walking up to the device if we should want to do so, would be welcome.  As for controlling it from a connected room, we can already control our devices from connected rooms, this new device would be no different, perhaps only easier to control because of NL.

Furthermore, this would be a connected device as well. There's no reason that it couldn't also be connected to Deezer, etc. 

Look, if the Moment had on board local music storage. I'd even consider that. I don't want to fiddle with a NAS, connectivity, and all the maintenance issues therein. Especially when that NAS and server would be beholden to 3rd party software. 

I have been considering a Beosound 5 with an NL/ML converter, but likely not going there because there I wouldn't consider buying a device that is well beyond end of life for fear of something going wrong. The converter is the middle man. Get rid of the middleman.

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

As I’ve mentioned in other threads, I have a concern over the portfolio size of Play and how many pocket speakers and headphones they can sell long-term. Hats-off to them for trying and in many ways succeeding. Play is now a significant part of B&O’s business both in products and financials. My concern is to ask how sustainable is it really long-term?

I would say B&O has only one music system – that being the Moment. It pulls from online and local storage.  Everything else (I think – I’ve not looked too closely as I have not really been in the market place for this), needs a PC, Smart TV or phone to assist as far as I can ascertain?

Their TVs are boring from a music rendering perspective. Long lists and some artwork. You find yourself just flicking through the lists and there is little enhancement over using a PC.

I would love to see a revised Moment or BS5 and using combined music access features from both with some traditional killer B&O looks and a LAN socket box that can handle WISA/RJ45/Toslink/XLR and S/P-dif to local/remote speakers. It would also need to have top-spec digital rendering to be called a BeoSound 90 and be worthy for the use on their flagship loudspeakers. Problem is……they would probably only sell two.

Overall, I only see more Play, more rendering speakers from cell phones. True BeoSounds as we knew them I see now as dead. I am sad for this.

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Fri, Sep 9 2016 6:57 PM

MM is truly right. You've got to move with the times. A new BS5 might be suited to BeoWorlders BUT let's be honest, in all fairness, there are probably less than 20 regular posters on this worldwide site. Think about that. If lucky, B&O might sell 100 new BS5's. PLAY does well because we live in a mobile world now. The world has changed and my God, these new 18 year olds find the 9 to 5 comical! They are making a decent living from Instagram and Youtube. It's a very different connected world now and B&O knows it and makes its products accordingly.

The first rule of marketing is 'know your customer'. You can have the best 'thing' out there but if nobody is interested in it, well. It's a bit like Aston Martin releasing a real noisy, petrol guzzling supercar in a era when the market has totally changed to electric!

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Fri, Sep 9 2016 7:07 PM

If we're to move with the times, then B&O should make whatever customer experience will be had with these devices be the best that it can be. And that boils down to software. 

Again - don't rely on 3rd parties, if you're going to rely on a 3rd party, pick one with a pedigree and active support, and pick one which gives the customers the most extensibility, what the customers want. 

Here's a perfect example: I have a rather large music library. When I want to hear a particular track from my NAS (through the Essence via TwonkyServer), I open BeoMusic, tap on my server, go to ARTIST INDEX, which sorts the artist's names by ABC, DEF, GHI... even within those categories, I potentially have to scroll a lot to get to the track I want. I can't search in BeoMusic, because NAS search is not enabled. I can only search my local iOS library. All in all, if I want to listen to a particular track, it takes me a while to get there. On the Moment, unless this has been updated, the search is relegated to one letter of the alphabet. 

I contacted both BeoCare and Twonky about perhaps including search and an INDEX with single letters. THe following are the responses I received:

BeoCare stated that the'll look into a full search feature with NAS features, but couldn't help with INDEX because that's the responsibility of TwonkyServer

Twonky Support stated that, they're not interested in implementing a seach feature because of the memory issues, and single letter indexing might be possible if I edited the .xml files within the Twonky Server software bundle, but they're not going to support .xml editing. I'm not a computer programmer, and I don't want to mess with learning what is necessary to fiddle with .xml files. I went on the Twonky forums and yes, there are people manipulating .xml files, but not exactly what I'd like from my experience. 

I don't have the time, nor do I want to learn it. Yeah, I know that sounds entitled, but when spending the kind of money we do on these products, we music lovers shouldn't have to settle for inadequate experiences. 

As an aside: My iPhone can search. My iTunes can search. My iPhone can search my iTunes Library stored on a shared instance of iTunes. It takes me a few seconds to get to a song I want. Yes, I can use airplay to play it from my iPhone to the Essence,  but then the Essence is a glorified airplay repeater. I don't want that. I'd love a true central hub library of music. Yes, I'm old fashioned, but neither B&O nor the recommended 3rd party are catering to the needs of this lover of music. 

I have seriously begun to research other high end local storage pure music servers which can be connected to my BL20s instead since I'm not confident B&O will be releasing a true BeoSound anytime soon.

Brigantinus
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 140
Bronze Member

The big problem today....

A new "real" Beosound with touchscreen ----> Oh my god, there are fingerprints

A new "real" Beosound without touchscreen ----> Oh my god, the usability is horrible

A new "real" Beosound with local storage ----> Oh my god, it's not mirrored

A new "real" Beosound with two harddrives ----> Oh my god, no SSD's

A new "real" Beosound with two SSDs ----> Oh my god, too expensive

A new "real" Beosound with wood ---> Oh my god, wood

A new "real" Beosound with Aluminium ---> ........

.....and so forth.....

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@Sal

If you don't already know this - have a look here:

http://www.3beez.com/

MM

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Fri, Sep 9 2016 8:18 PM

Millemissen:

@Sal

If you don't already know this - have a look here:

http://www.3beez.com/

MM

Thanks MM, yes, I'm familiar with that. 3Beez, Wadia, Arcam, Aurender, Baetis, and others all make devices with connectivity for Beolab speakers. Each of them has own strengths & weaknesses, feature sets. I would LOVE a B&O solution, though. :-) In the meantime, I'll continue to make due with Essence, and see how the Moment matures, and keep looking. When I do research, I tend to take my time. :-)

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
People can debate about downloading music or having a hard copy, be it a CD or on a hard drive etc. But the brutal truth is, when driving the companies premier speakers, there isn't a Beosound device that is the go to for every dealer.

Every time I get a demo of the 90's, a USB pen with music saved on it is pulled out of a drawer and then plugged into a Beovision. What does that say?

Why are record players making a comeback? HMV had a whole wall of records tonight, and six players with amplified speakers!

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Fri, Sep 9 2016 10:00 PM

Chris Townsend:
People can debate about downloading music or having a hard copy, be it a CD or on a hard drive etc. But the brutal truth is, when driving the companies premier speakers, there isn't a Beosound device that is the go to for every dealer.

I was told by the dealer at the Avant launch that the TV makes less money but gets customers into the brand who then buy speakers as an upgrade which carry the margin. Therefore it's good to promote the TV as the heart of the system perhaps. Hence the sub pen usb plugged into the Beovision.

Every time I get a demo of the 90's, a USB pen with music saved on it is pulled out of a drawer and then plugged into a Beovision. What does that say?

Why are record players making a comeback? HMV had a whole wall of records tonight, and six players with amplified speakers!

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
I get using the Tv as a hub, it's what makes B&O unique. But if you or I bought an 85 driving some 90's, How would we access top quality music day to day?

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Fri, Sep 9 2016 10:57 PM

At least Sal with the iPhone, I guess you don't have to worry too much about software issues.

On a different note, my guys in radio have found a very interesting fact and is quite open for debate. They are taking CDs and ripping at AIFF / WAV files. They are getting iTunes 'Mastered for iTunes' 256AAC files. Now these come from a minimum of 24/96. They guys are saying that these even though they are down graded to 256AAC SOUND FAR SUPERIOR to the original not 'remastered' CDs. Something i'd not really considered. 

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Sat, Sep 10 2016 5:05 AM

Paul W:
though they are down graded to 256AAC SOUND FAR SUPERIOR to the original not 'remastered' CDs

this is not possible. A copy can't be better, it is the same or less. And this isn't even a copy ........ but a ripped copy.

it may be sounding different and more conform your hearing, but it can't be superior to the original, you can find it superior, but it is just different

egges
Top 500 Contributor
germoney
Posts 303
Bronze Member
egges replied on Sat, Sep 10 2016 6:00 PM

my way to hear and dispatch my music-collection from the avant to the other rooms is iTunesMatch via appleTV. works well with the remote control and is gapless

Wohnzimmer: BeoVision Avant 55", BeoLab 11, 12-2 und 12-3 für 5.1-Sound +  appleTV 4K und Philips BluRay-Player; BeoSound 2, BeoSound 3000 (fast nur noch Deko)////Schlafzimmer: BeoEssence MkII, BeoLab 4000 + Samsung 46"-TV////Büro: BLC NL/ML, BeoSound 35, Thorens TD320MkII, Samsung 32"-TV, WesternDigital 4TB-Server////Bad: BeoLab 2000; alles CAT7 verkabelt////Küche: M5 (drahtlos) plus diverse apple-Geräte (imac, macbook, ipads, iphones, timecapsule, watch)

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Jeff:

Duels:

I think schizophrenic is a better description. Remember, schizophrenia means never having to be alone.

I do often hear voices 

... telling me to buy B&O lol

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sat, Sep 10 2016 8:15 PM

Its interesting this topic, and something i had thought about quite a lot recently......i would suggest many companies find it difficult to make the music experience seamless, straightforward and fun......but that should tell us something, i.e. that its not easy designing an interface to (in the case of streaming services) present a whole universe of music in a personalised way....Apple Music, Spotify, Deezer, Tidal all suffer from the same difficulty......their efforts at presenting a curated selection alongside 'your music' gets messy, which Apple Music suffers from especially......

it would be nice if the BeoMusic app supported a fuller range of services ( i use Tidal + iTunes library) making it a more of a go to for everything, especially guess for NAS users.....

with physical formats used less, B&O surely need fewer music systems......be nice of Moment was fuller featured, never made much sense to me as a product, at least when i first looked at it a while back....

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Sat, Sep 10 2016 8:47 PM
Aussie Michael:

I do often hear voices

... telling me to buy B&O lol

I've heard them too!
Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Sat, Sep 10 2016 10:27 PM

Paul W:

At least Sal with the iPhone, I guess you don't have to worry too much about software issues.

On a different note, my guys in radio have found a very interesting fact and is quite open for debate. They are taking CDs and ripping at AIFF / WAV files. They are getting iTunes 'Mastered for iTunes' 256AAC files. Now these come from a minimum of 24/96. They guys are saying that these even though they are down graded to 256AAC SOUND FAR SUPERIOR to the original not 'remastered' CDs. Something i'd not really considered. 

If they're differently mastered then why would they not sound different? Why superior, is it more lifelike, brighter, heavier bass - who's judging and why should we believe their subjective opinions?

If your implication is that 256AAC is a higher quality medium than a CD then you really need to consider it again!

Ban boring signatures!

mawheele
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 258
Bronze Member
mawheele replied on Sun, Sep 11 2016 9:14 AM

This is spot on. Streaming is the new world for both video and music content. Therefore coming up with sources is now about either coming up with a smart interface or a play-through device like Sonos and BeoPlay. This is really difficult for manufacturers and its clear Sonos has got it most right so far, especially with their recent Apple Music tie-up. B&O did well with Spotify but need an Apple deal desperately. 

There will always be a tiny market for those who want the very best quality and we see these discussions and expectations on this board for 4K Blu-Ray, and Hi-res Audio. These are the equivalent of the laser disc which B&O correctly avoided. I think B&O should be congratulated for making the best decisions based on constrained development budgets eg. Android as an OS for the TV and Moment.  I don't like any of these but would agree this was the best decision in the circumstance. I do think Sonos have been smarter in their alliances and roadmap and thats shown through their sales figures.

The question is what is the best interface not to our old collections but to a cloud service that has what we own and the millions of other songs that we might potentially enjoy. And the problem is, we're all undecided because we connect in different ways; our phones being an important source, our cars are modernising to become better connected and so now how do you have a connected experience that delivers continuity in the home?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@mawheele

'Therefore coming up with sources is now about either coming up with a smart interface...'

B&O with the BS Moment took it a step further.

When you have access to all this music from streaming services (and the internet radio stations), the big problem for most people will be: 'what do I want to listen to?'

They created the Mood Wheel and Pattern Play to solve this.

Of course this is not a solution for people, who personally want to pick what they want to listen to - using a (refined/subtle) search function. This has always been a secondary function of the Moment.

Since only Deezer allows for using their service as multiroom, B&O choose Deezer as their partner.

'A smart interface' will always depend on the user.

For those with a big CD/LP collection the best interface will stay finding the disc and popping it into the player.

For those with a (big) collection of local music files (and the need to 'be in control') an interface built on DLNA will be the choice. Since DLNA is relatively poor for this, a lot of proprietary solutions has been invented over time (Slim Server, Sonos.......) - but these will never (quite) integrate with the B&O NL-multiroom concept. B&O found that the best partner would be Twonky.

Then again - Apple has their own concept based on iTunes/AirPlay  - but also not compatible with NL-multiroom.

'The question is what is the best interface not to our old collections but to a cloud service that has what we own and the millions of other songs that we might potentially enjoy. And the problem is, we're all undecided because we connect in different ways'

You won't find an interface that fits everyone. B&O (with Mood Wheel and Pattern Play and the 'wheely' remote) came up with one, that justifies the need of a lot of people (they did some research prior to developing this), who 'just' want to listen to music/music, they like at any time of the day.

Others - like me - will have to find a way to combine this with the way(s) we want to interface - and there are a lot of possibilities out there.

Don't ever expect B&O to come up with an interface, that fits all and every need!

P.S. Look at the many different ways to use the new Audio Systems - you can use Deezer, Spotify Connect, DLNA, bluetooth etc and now also Google Cast.

I am sure, that there will be a way for almost anyone to use these new BeoSounds...

...if you need a CD player or a turntable in your setup - just connect it to the (multiroom-supporting) line-in connection.

MM

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Sun, Sep 11 2016 12:32 PM

Mawheele - 100% agree with you.

Also, where is the B&O PLAY soundbar? Now that they do not have a TV offering, a PLAYBAR makes so much sense. Maybe Cecile with her nice designs can work on one :) I am really surprised that PLAY has missed this opportunity as they seem to be all the ball with everything else.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Sep 11 2016 12:42 PM

do they need a sound bar? not sure......BeoVision owners dont really need one do they, after all isn't the BV's sound one of its strongest selling points.....not sure how a B&O sound bar would integrate with non-BV televisions.....though i might be missing something....

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Sun, Sep 11 2016 1:31 PM

Hi Sandy, the BANG&OLUFSEN / BeoVision market is totally different to PLAY. Totally different income etc. I'm thinking of the PLAY customer who will buy a £450 LG/Samsung/Panasonic TV and would need a soundbar to compliment it. For instance, when looking at TVs on the John Lewis website, at the bottom of each page, there's a 'add on' pop up PLUS when reading many buyer comments on it, a huge percentage go for that option. Even if it's of similar sound quality to a BeoLit15, that would be a huge step up from the Tvs speakers.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Sep 11 2016 1:46 PM

Fair point, be interesting if they did one, i guess there is a healthy sound bar market so would make some sense......how it would connect to TVs from the mainstream brands, i don't know......and it starts to get complicated if it needs to have the ability to integrate into a full surround set up...(using the Sonos sound bar in a 5.1 set up is not straightforward from what i understand).......anyway, they dont tend to make Play products WISA compatible, and how many models from LG/Pana/Samsung are WISA capable?......guess we'll find out over time, though i fully encourage them to push innovative products in the Play range......i have an A9 in my bedroom, its excellent for a one unit speaker....so i'm board....

when i get time i will start a fresh thread with my thoughts on the BV14, which i've had for around a week now.....hopefully tonight..

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Sun, Sep 11 2016 1:56 PM

Hi Sandy,

A lot of £400+ TVs do have the coaxial/optical output for a soundbar, so not a problem in connecting - add that along with Bluetooth for music connectivity. There must be a reason though why they have not introduced one. Maybe they feel that the typical PLAY customer does not watch a lot of TV and maybe interacts more with iPads/MacBooks/iPhones. 

This highlights the BeoPlay target market etc although it has not been updated for a year of so...

http://pinterest.com/beoplaybrand/

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Sun, Sep 11 2016 2:40 PM

Paul W:

Hi Sandy, the BANG&OLUFSEN / BeoVision market is totally different to PLAY. Totally different income etc. I'm thinking of the PLAY customer who will buy a £450 LG/Samsung/Panasonic TV and would need a soundbar to compliment it. For instance, when looking at TVs on the John Lewis website, at the bottom of each page, there's a 'add on' pop up PLUS when reading many buyer comments on it, a huge percentage go for that option. Even if it's of similar sound quality to a BeoLit15, that would be a huge step up from the Tvs speakers.

Paul, I think you need to qualify your comment on the different customers as being your opinion. I'll buy a B&O product if it's not chintzy. I paid several times LG money for our V1 and we have Beolit 15 etc. I'd be buying a Horizon very soon if it didn't look like a generic airport monitor. John Lewis sold us our Beolit 12 and when I took it back it was the second one they'd seen at Bluewater; the other was a return too. 

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Sun, Sep 11 2016 3:09 PM

Haha, I knew that you'd comment on that Simon. I know that you're a BeoPlay customer but gosh, it's the first rule of any product launch - you pick a specific market, demographic and work from there. It's impossible to have a product that EVERY age and demographic will buy. Don't forget that you work in design, so you are more savvy in that respect. As you know, every product, every brand has a 'specific one person' in mind. Without that, the brand manager cannot identify the brand. It's the first thing that they are asked: Who will buy this? If he says everyone from a 15 to 80 year old, he really would not be taken seriously!

But what is clear from PLAY is that there really was not a large market for a TV at that kind of price and of course you can see why. UK income is not rising, in fact, it seems to be decreasing - t's amazing how many marketing positions are paying less than £20K a year even in LONDON!!! once you've bought bicycles, travel, holidays, weekends away, clothes, socialising etc a £2600 TV seems out of the question.

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Sun, Sep 11 2016 3:19 PM

Simon, click on the official BEOPLAY Pinterest brand manual that I posted above. It shows you exactly who PLAY is aiming at with its products and its brands that they feel their customers associate with! 

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Sun, Sep 11 2016 5:38 PM

Millemissen:
&O found that the best partner would be Twonky.

I would really like to know how this decision was made internally at B&O. Did they test or use a variety before settling on Twonky?

There are quite a few more solutions in much wider (and more customizable) use than TwonkyServer.

Page 1 of 2 (55 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS