Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab 18 vs beolab 20

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

dueno
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 101
Bronze Member
dueno Posted: Tue, Sep 13 2016 2:55 PM

I have actually beolab 3 and i think to upgrade.

Have someone compare beolab 20 and 18.

Difference between beolab 3 and 20.

Thanks
Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Tue, Sep 13 2016 5:59 PM

I might not be the best person to reply, but since no one has yet, I figured share my opinion.

I used to own a pair of BL3. I've never owned a pair of BL18, but have heard them in a store. I currently own a pair of BL20 & BL9.

I can tell you that I loved the BL3, even more so with the addition of a BL2. Folks on here say the BL18 are wonderful, but more oomph and a rounder sound is accomplished with a BL19. Both may require a sub for some tastes.

I sold the BL3/2 and years later acquired a pair of BL9: In a different league entirely, and BL20 are similar to the BL9 but different.

Compared to the BL3, the BL20 are a completely different animal. Not just on paper but their sound. Words really can't describe the upgrade. I'd suggest you go to a store and pick out your favorite tracks and listen to it on BL3, 3/2 combo, 18, and 18/19 combo, then 20. Keep us posted. Everyone's sonic tastes are different.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Tue, Sep 13 2016 7:08 PM
I have not owned 3s, but have 20s and 9s. The 20s are much better than the 9s.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

keynesparis6
Not Ranked
Posts 26
Bronze Member
I own a pair of 18 WITHOUT BL19. I love them. Also, I was shocked how "more precise"/"more dynamic"/ ..."better" the BL20 sound when I heard them in a store later.

Then there is the design.

Of course BL20 is a 3-way speaker. I think BL20 are superior, sound-wise.

Then money comes in.

After dialing in the BL18 setting through BV11, I now have really precise/tight bass. Voices are marvelous. The overall sound is very organic. But I am now considering adding BL19.

Math is simple : price for BL18+BL19 is roughly equal to BL20.

Then there is the design.

KP6

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Tue, Sep 13 2016 9:22 PM
I did own BL3s which I really enjoyed. Very good punchy sound.

I traded up to BL18s about two years ago and find these speakers absolutely wonderful. Even better sound (stronger midrange than the 3s offered) but it is the design I fell in love with. They are a piece of art to my eyes and unlike any other speaker anywhere by anyone. I enjoy having them in my home even when switched off and that to me is the essence of B&O.

I tried a BL19 for a week recently and didn't actually find that it improved things particularly. I get plenty of bass in any event (I listen to indie, alternative and some rock music mainly).

I have heard the 20s and they are a step up again in terms of sound. Truly fantastic. But for me not as "wow" to look at.

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Tue, Sep 13 2016 9:51 PM

As Duels points out, all are so different in design and surely, it's more of which one appeals the most in design to you. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS