Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

New Idea Catalogue on Beointegration

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 0 Followers

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw Posted: Thu, Sep 15 2016 9:04 PM

New Idea Catalogue on the Beointegration web site. 

Posted this month.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Thu, Sep 15 2016 9:37 PM

Fascinating, thanks for the tip, Razlaw... I am intrigued by B&O's recommendation for the Aurelic Aries to be used as a device to connect to the BL90 using S/PDIF / USB / Optical... does this mean that the Aries can also be connected to a pair of BL20 speakers in the same way?

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Thu, Sep 15 2016 10:23 PM

They added quite a lot to this version of the catalogue! I noticed that there is now a wall frame offered for the iPad Pro. That would be one huge control area on the wall! I also notice that they seem quite enthusiastic about incorporating the old BeoGram turntables into NL.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Sal:

Fascinating, thanks for the tip, Razlaw... I am intrigued by B&O's recommendation for the Aurelic Aries to be used as a device to connect to the BL90 using S/PDIF / USB / Optical... does this mean that the Aries can also be connected to a pair of BL20 speakers in the same way?

No!

The BL90 includes a prepro, which lets you control the volume of an incoming digital signal - this is not possible with the Bl20.

The BL5's could be used that way, if they are set to direct Beo4 control.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Thu, Sep 15 2016 11:00 PM

Millemissen:

Sal:

No!

The BL90 includes a prepro, which lets you control the volume of an incoming digital signal - this is not possible with the Bl20.

The BL5's could be used that way, if they are set to direct Beo4 control.

MM

So I would need a DAC and a PreAmp? I am so uneducated when it comes to the connectivity options of the BL20s. The fact that they have amplifiers built into them confuses me on how non B&O devices can be connected.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

The DAC is not the 'problem' (it is built-in to the 20's).

The issue is that you can't volume control the speakers (like you can with the 90'es and 5'es).

Actually you could use a digital connection directly from a player, if you could find one, that allows for volume control in the digital domain.

This however, would (generally speaking) not be a good idea, since you would decrease the SQ (reducing the bitdepth of the signal before it hits the DAC in the speaker).

Note: you might (instead) be able to use a computer with a software solution, that upconverts the signal before it is processed for the output - and allows for volume control.

Why the BL20 has the digital input, is a good question. I have newer heard/read a solid explanation for that.

MM

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Thu, Sep 15 2016 11:20 PM

I am with you Sal. Very confused. I thought I could connect a Sonos by optical to my Beolab 20s and control the volume using the Sonos app. I would have thought it would be the same with the Auralic. But that was just my guess and I will defer to those such as MM who have much more knowledge and a better understanding of it than I do.

I use my 20s for video as well as audio, I need to keep them connected by power link.  As a result I have not spent much time looking at the optical connection option. I do still think it would be interesting to try with the right equipment.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Thu, Sep 15 2016 11:20 PM

I am with you Sal. Very confused. I thought I could connect a Sonos by optical to my Beolab 20s and control the volume using the Sonos app. I would have thought it would be the same with the Auralic. But that was just my guess and I will defer to those such as MM who have much more knowledge and a better understanding of it than I do.

I use my 20s for video as well as audio, I need to keep them connected by power link.  As a result I have not spent much time looking at the optical connection option. I do still think it would be interesting to try with the right equipment.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

beojeff:

I also notice that they seem quite enthusiastic about incorporating the old BeoGram turntables into NL.

I only see that once mentioned.

However, it was often discussed/noted in different posts on the forum, that any line-in connection on the NL devices (and on the converter) can be used for connecting a turntable - and that this input can be distributed over the NL.

In fact any analog source could be used this way.

MM

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Thu, Sep 15 2016 11:34 PM

Millemissen:

beojeff:

I also notice that they seem quite enthusiastic about incorporating the old BeoGram turntables into NL.

I only see that once mentioned.

However, it was often discussed/noted in different posts on the forum, that any line-in connection on the NL devices (and on the converter) can be used for connecting a turntable - and that this input can be distributed over the NL.

In fact any analog source could be used this way.

MM

On page 11: "That must be one of the first (and coolest) app controlled record players in the world." I would call that enthusiastic.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Razlaw:

Personally I would not make to much trouble with that.

Just connect the digital output of the Sonos, the Auralic (or whatever) to a/the digital input of your (BSys4-based)BV.

The tv handles the volume control (via your usual remote) and you only need the connection that you already use = the PL.

Note: I am well aware that some posters may disagree - however, using the analog/PL connection won't add much noise to the signal in normal/usual listening situations. With exactly the same sound pressure and with the processing in the BV turned off/set to flat/set to 1:1, I doubt that anyone can hear a difference.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

beojeff:

On page 11: "That must be one of the first (and coolest) app controlled record players in the world." I would call that enthusiastic.

You can't control the record player - you can control - and make use of - the input (to which it is connected - using the app.

MM

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Thu, Sep 15 2016 11:50 PM

Millemissen:

Razlaw:

Personally I would not make to much trouble with that.

Just connect the digital output of the Sonos, the Auralic (or whatever) to a/the digital input of your (BSys4-based)BV.

The tv handles the volume control (via your usual remote) and you only need the connection that you already use = the PL.

Note: I am well aware that some posters may disagree - however, using the analog/PL connection won't add much noise to the signal in normal/usual listening situations. With exactly the same sound pressure and with the processing in the BV turned off/set to flat/set to 1:1, I doubt that anyone can hear a difference.

MM

Thanks. My 20s are connected to a BV7.  I am still back in the BS3 era.  While I am curious about using the optical connection on the 20s, I don't know that it would offer any benefit.  Or would it?

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Thu, Sep 15 2016 11:53 PM

Millemissen:

beojeff:

You can't control the record player - you can control - and make use of - the input (to which it is connected - using the app.

MM

That's not the point of my post. I was just commenting that B&O seemed enthusiastic about incorporating the BeoGrams -- which you felt the need to disagree with. While it's fair to add constructive comments and discussion, your constant trolling gets annoying. I have felt this way about your posts for quite some time.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

don't disagree, not at all - why should I?

I just mentioned that this is nothing new and that you can use the analog output of any device this way.

Because a lot of people asked for it and want to use a turntable, it is completely understandable that they have used that as an example.

Where is the 'trolling'?

MM

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Fri, Sep 16 2016 3:20 AM

Millemissen:
Why the BL20 has the digital input, is a good question. I have newer heard/read a solid explanation for that.
Not just the BL20, but the 17, 18 as well all have toslink connections... So the question is, if I have an Auralink Aries, and I wanted to connect it to my BL20s using the BL20's toslink, what would I need to do / purchase?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

That should be a question to answer for the guys in Struer - they added the toslink connection!

MM

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Sal:

Not just the BL20, but the 17, 18 as well all have toslink connections... So the question is, if I have an Auralink Aries, and I wanted to connect it to my BL20s using the BL20's toslink, what would I need to do / purchase?

Wouldn't you need a toslink cable and the app?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

The 'problem' is stil - how do you want to control the volume of the setup?

Have a look here:

http://support.auralic.com/hc/en-us/articles/206808417-Decide-to-use-the-volume-control-in-Lightning-DS

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Millemissen:

The 'problem' is stil - how do you want to control the volume of the setup?

Have a look here:

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Anyway loving the new beointegration idea catalogue. Many great improvements over the previous.
Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Fri, Sep 16 2016 3:50 PM

So, as long as a user identifies the device which will control the volume, then a user can connect a toslink cable from an AURALIC directly into the toslink input of a BL20 / 17 / 18 and it should work? So if the user identifies the Ligntning DS app as the control center for the volume, done?

Everything I've read and seen (reviews on YouTube), seem to indicate that the Lightning DS app is amazing, and has all the features, that I wish the BeoMusic App had. Furthermore, the Auralic MINI actually also has a slot for a user to install a 2.5" HDD/SSD, making it a local music storage device as well. All for about $549US. 

The huge drawback for me considering this device is that although I'm not completely satisfied with the Essence, I LOVE the Essence Remote.

Page 1 of 1 (21 items) | RSS