Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Support for chromecast multiroom in Play and core products

rated by 0 users
This post has 25 Replies | 2 Followers

rfrichg
Not Ranked
Posts 36
Bronze Member
rfrichg Posted: Thu, Sep 15 2016 9:23 PM

Hi 

I could not find any thread with this news. 

I read on the Danish webpage recordere.dk that Bang & Olufsen soon will introduce the multiform feature for Chromecast in there beoplay a9 and a6 according to a dealer it would also be possible in the core products essence mk2, beosound 1, 2 and 35.

If this means that it is also possible to connect to Chromecast audio it will a lot cheaper to add a old set of beoplay 4000 or 7.2 or a new set beoplay s3 to you setup.

I think this is a promising way to go. No one will defeat Sonos and the rest of system if they do not join forces. I think this is a good move for B&O in general and I would look forward to see how well it works.

w5bno123
Top 150 Contributor
London
Posts 578
Bronze Member
w5bno123 replied on Thu, Sep 15 2016 9:59 PM
rfrichg:

Hi

I could not find any thread with this news.

I read on the Danish webpage recordere.dk that Bang & Olufsen soon will introduce the multiform feature for Chromecast in there beoplay a9 and a6 according to a dealer it would also be possible in the core products essence mk2, beosound 1, 2 and 35.

If this means that it is also possible to connect to Chromecast audio it will a lot cheaper to add a old set of beoplay 4000 or 7.2 or a new set beoplay s3 to you setup.

I think this is a promising way to go. No one will defeat Sonos and the rest of system if they do not join forces. I think this is a good move for B&O in general and I would look forward to see how well it works.

It will be publicly announced soon and available across the range of compatible products in October.
steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Thu, Sep 15 2016 11:25 PM
will it be possible to "mix and match" between direct-a6-play and chromecast dongles and audio remains in sync?

will this allow us to play Spotify in a multi-room setup?

technically, chromecast works like Spotify connect? I.e., the stream actually plays directly to the device and not "over" the triggering phone?
L1NO
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 250
Bronze Member
L1NO replied on Thu, Sep 15 2016 11:44 PM

Apple dropped the ball here. No multiroom options. Not even a headphone jack...

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

rfrichg:

But you would still be limited to what the Chromecast offers.

And you would have no volume control/direct access to skip etc on the device/the setup like on a genuine NL-audio-product.

If that is enough for you, that could be a good, budget solution.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

rfrichg
Not Ranked
Posts 36
Bronze Member
rfrichg replied on Fri, Sep 16 2016 4:53 AM

Yes this should allow us to Play spotify in multiroom directly from the spotify app. 

In chromecast app you can make a number of groups containing a number of speakers and they will be shown as possible devices.

And yes you phone won't be steaming.

rfrichg
Not Ranked
Posts 36
Bronze Member
rfrichg replied on Fri, Sep 16 2016 4:53 AM

@millemissen I guess you right but I also thinks it's depending on how B&O have made the implementation. 

It could be that the remote will work fine connected to a beoplay a9 of cause it will not be possible to use on a set beoplay 4000.

But there should also be something to sell a essence on right?

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Fri, Sep 16 2016 6:27 AM
rfrichg:

Yes this should allow us to Play spotify in multiroom directly from the spotify app.

In chromecast app you can make a number of groups containing a number of speakers and they will be shown as possible devices.

And yes you phone won't be steaming.

sounds great. question if this works with different devices (eg, an a6 and a chromecast dongle). context of my question is that this does not work for Spotify connect in the way how it is already implemented (multi-room sync only works right now if all b&o devices, but not if I use receivers from different manufacturers).
steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Wed, Sep 28 2016 1:35 AM
any thoughts on sync across devices from different manufacturers?

also, can you think of a dlna app for iOS that supports chromecast-sending?

does chromecasting works with regular Spotify or just with premium?

and lastly, can chromecast be distributed to other devices in a NL setup? in sync?
Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Wed, Sep 28 2016 10:42 PM

Sorry for what is probably a dumb question...but I have very limited knowledge of Chromecast. I am about ready to purchase a second Essence to be used with a pair of Beolab 4000s. Could someone explain how the Chromecast would or would not  work/connect with my Beolab 4000s?  Thanks.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Wed, Sep 28 2016 11:56 PM

Chromecast is, in some ways, functionally similar to an Essence.  It's a dongle that provides a headphone jack/optical digital output and will play whatever you "cast" to it.  Typically, you use an Android (or iPhone) app to "cast", like Spotify or TuneIn.  I guess some PC apps can cast, too, but I have never done this.  The content is streamed to the dongle, not the phone.  However, you can control the dongle with your phone depending on the app - for Spotify, the interface is identical to the Essence (since they both use Spotify).

I have one connected to my BS9000 primarily so I can choose Spotify songs from my phone vs. my BS5.  I don't think the analog audio output sounds nearly as good as the Essence, but what do you want for ~$50.  I haven't messed with the digital output (this is a budget solution, adding a DAC is no longer budget).  There is some volume control via the phone, but I find this frustrating because the increments are pretty big so I usually control volume with my Beo remote.

Clearly the Chromecast knows nothing about Beo NL so it can't play with other Beo stuff.

I'd like to group cast between my Essence and Chromecast so I can synchronize the sound.  Right now, I can only Spotify to my Chromecast or my Essence.  I have a BeoLink converter so I can push the Chromecast output into my NL network to get to my Essence, but there's a delay (luckily, the I mostly use the Essence for outside so the delay isn't that bad).

If I didn't care about NL, I'd have a very hard time justifying an Essence over a Chromecast, and I feel sorry for B&O in this regard - I like my Essence a lot.  Then again, it has connectors for newer beo speakers, supports BlueTooth and the Wheelie.  It probably doesn't spy on you either...

You will need some cables from Sounds Heavenly to go from the headphone jack to the BL4000s.  

Stan

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Thu, Sep 29 2016 1:46 AM
Thanks. this may also answer my most important question.

do i read you right that you cannot cast to both your b&o device and chromecast dongle at the same time? and if you distribute the signal, it's out of sync?
Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Thu, Sep 29 2016 1:51 AM
Thank you for explanation. I noticed that there was a software update available tonight for the Essence. I installed it. I noticed that Deezer is also listed as available for casting in the BeoSetup app.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Thu, Sep 29 2016 2:06 AM
B and O webpage indicates that today's update added Google Cast multiroom support.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Thu, Sep 29 2016 2:39 AM
steve1977:

do i read you right that you cannot cast to both your b&o device and chromecast dongle at the same time? and if you distribute the signal, it's out of sync?

The B and O web page says the update allows for synchronized music across different product brands.

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Thu, Sep 29 2016 5:04 AM

steve1977:

I haven't checked out the new software, but last week I tried to create a "group" with my Chromecast, and my Essence was not visible to add to the group.

As far as synchronized sound goes, I believe you can synchronize NL sources played on ML, but not ML sources played on NL.

I'd be happy if I was wrong or the new software fixes this.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Thu, Sep 29 2016 9:28 AM
Stan:

I haven't checked out the new software, but last week I tried to create a "group" with my Chromecast, and my Essence was not visible to add to the group.

As far as synchronized sound goes, I believe you can synchronize NL sources played on ML, but not ML sources played on NL.

I'd be happy if I was wrong or the new software fixes this.

I have never done anything with Chromecast before. My Essence shows up in the Google Cast app after the Essence software update.

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Thu, Sep 29 2016 2:47 PM
that's great. so, we should now have a working multi-room setup with Spotify? even working without premium.

any idea how the volume control works? can be done in the app?

what devices have a line-in? BV5/7? BL12?
Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Thu, Sep 29 2016 8:04 PM

I can confirm that with the new software, I can "group" my Chromecast with the Essence and play synchronized across rooms.

I tested this with Spotify.  I have Spotify premium, not sure if this matters.

Stan

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Stan:

I can confirm that with the new software, I can "group" my Chromecast with the Essence and play synchronized across rooms.

But you will have to do this with the Google Cast app.

MM

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Fri, Sep 30 2016 2:17 AM
Stan:

I tested this with Spotify. I have Spotify premium, not sure if this matters.

Stan

How do you adjust the volume of speakers connected to the Chromecast? With the Google app? Spotify app?

Thanks!

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Fri, Sep 30 2016 2:28 AM

deleted

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Sat, Dec 10 2016 8:02 PM

Stan:

Hi Stan,

Could you give us more details please?

Like which app, on what device, what was the source's providing device (Essence or Chromecast) ?

Thanks

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

The only trouble with 'casting' is, that few applications support cast.

But Spotify and TuneIn does.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

You can also make a group:

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

N.B. Beocast is the name of my ChromeCast Audio, that is connected to my V1 (via spdif).

Page 1 of 1 (26 items) | RSS