Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab 1 Question

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

j0hnbarker
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Bronze Member
j0hnbarker Posted: Fri, Sep 16 2016 1:19 PM

Hi everyone,

Long time, no post. Quick question regarding the Beolab 1s: if I come to these from some Pentas, am I going to be disappointed by the bass and need a Beolab 2?

TIA

John

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Fri, Sep 16 2016 1:48 PM

You wont be "disappointed" but you'll miss the balance a Penta has.

I always recommend a BeoLab 2 with BeoLab 1's. A fantastic combination.

Lee

j0hnbarker
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Bronze Member

Thanks Lee

I had a Cona many years back and placement was critical with that sub. Is it as critical with the Beolab 2?

John

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Fri, Sep 16 2016 2:53 PM
I have Beolab 1s, 9s, and 20s. The 20s absolutely do not need a sub. The 9s in my opinion also do not need sub. The 1s, in my opinion need a sub for watching movies, but for most music, no sub is needed.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Fri, Sep 16 2016 3:23 PM

It depends strongly on your room! I have Beolab 1 and in the new home the bass is only hearable at a distance of 2-3 meters away from the Beolab 1. My couch is 4-5 meters away and at my listening position the bass is extremely low...

You'll need to listen to them in your own room and decide if you'll like to add the subwoofer or not. In my case it seems a must. :(

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Fri, Sep 16 2016 3:27 PM

I'd recommend the BL2 with the BL1.  Although much of it really depends on the type of music you listen to  - jazz and classical can probably do fine without one.  The placement is important with the BL2... although, I don't know if it's "critical".  You do have wall/corner/free switch.  Maybe I was lucky in that I found a good spot relatively quickly (between the two BL1s).  I think a lot of the complaints you hear on this forum about the BL2 are from improper placement - or I don't hear so well because I've always thought the BL2 was a great addition - it helps the BL8000s (why I originally purchased it) more than the BL1s, but I decided to pair it with my music-only BL1s because it did make them sound better for rock music.

Stan

pf85
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 284
Bronze Member
pf85 replied on Fri, Sep 16 2016 4:13 PM

I can recommend BL1 based on my setup and my preference

room 1 - BV7 with BS 5 - Beolab 1 front, Beolab 3 rear plus Beolab 2 - supports movies greatly with depth in bass

room 2 - BS 9000 with Beolab 1 - mainly music, no need for BL2

room 3 - Beocenter 9500 with Beolab 1 - mainly music, no need for BL2

One pair of BL1 is from 2003, the others from 2005 - no issue at all, sturdy and strong, perform like on the first day, no electronic issues so far... however, volume hardly ever exceeds mid-levels 

As written many times, BL1 is fantastic but also a bit delicate re. poor quality music input when volumes are up (poor MP3 sources, low b/w streaming) 

j0hnbarker
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Bronze Member

Thank you everyone,

I would be listening to music, and I like to hear the bass on tracks where its presence is meant to be felt.

The room setup is a little awkward, in that the BL2 would have to be to one side, and not in between the two BL1s.

pf85
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 284
Bronze Member
pf85 replied on Fri, Sep 16 2016 4:28 PM

I had different placements of BL2 - currently to the side. As bass is not very directional, it works for me

Cleviebaby
Top 150 Contributor
Exeter, United Kingdom
Posts 672
Bronze Member
Hi John,

Nice to see you post again.

What happened to the proposed BL5 purchase? Do you still have the 8000 system? I sold mine fairly recently as I could no longer tell any difference between that and my 6500 system through your old MC120.2s.

I hope Fliss is well.

Cleve

j0hnbarker
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Bronze Member

Hi Cleve

We're both very well thanks, and I hope you're the same?

We moved house again last December and we bought this one off plan, so there was some scope to shape the rooms etc. At the time I was toying with some BL5s, but to be honest the main room is probably too small to justify them at 15'x15'. I made some tentative enquiries on the pre-loved market, but wasn't happy paying £6-7kish for some nice 2005 models that probably cost not far off that amount when they were new. I recall used BL5s being had for £5k easily a few years back and I wasn't going to pay over the odds because B&O have continually kept hiking the retail price up for new ones with the knock-on that it's dragged up the secondary market residuals.

I've had the 8000 system for 10 years now and to be honest I'm just really bored with it (sounds like you were the same?). I fancied a change and thought the BL1s would be a straight swap into the Penta footprints in the living room, and I could part the 8000 system and run the BL1s off either a 9500 or a 7000 system as that's an itch I've always wanted to scratch. If we move again somewhere bigger then at that point I could get the BL5s of my dreams.

I also thought about BL9s, but I want something imposing to look at, hence the BL1s!

Cleviebaby
Top 150 Contributor
Exeter, United Kingdom
Posts 672
Bronze Member
Hi John,

The 8000 was never really acceptable domestically so in the end it had to go. I understand the desire for a 9500 or a 7000 system - I have a 9500 running actives so I readily understand that itch!!

Regards to Fliss.

Cleve
Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS