Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

I really gave it a shot, and was prepared to spend money..

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx Posted: Fri, Sep 16 2016 4:07 PM

Wen't down to my fantastic dealer and borrowed an A6.

A unit that has never been setup before, so plugged it in, and 1 minut went by as pr the manual, a beep was heard, and the orange light was on. Everything should then be fine ...

Looked after the "Setup new AirPlay Speaker" on my phone, but it never came. Waited 5 minutes, still nothing. Pulled the plug and started again, the same happened, but still no "setup airplay...." as the manual said.

Tried my iPad, nothing. Tried factory reset, the same..

After having pressed the wireless button at the bottom, suddenly the "setup airplay..." was available. Oh well, the manual does not say anything about this, and I don't think this was the issue, but whatever....

The A6 was setup and joined my network fine. So far so good.. Played some music via AirPlay from my phone, and WOW.... the sound is fantastic compared to my BL2000.

I downloaded the Beosetup and Beomusic app's.

The Beosetup app started fine, and I updated the SW to latest, so the Chrome Cast also could be tested. This wen't without issues also.

Put in my TuneIn account, and tried the Beomusic app(where I again should enter my TuneIn credentials), and searched for stations. This works fine, although I think there are some real issues with the design of the App, some things are not intuitive, but when you get hold of it, it is ok, not fantastic but useful.

Both app's seem not to be native IOS apps, and there are some things in Beosetup where I(as an app developer) just cries out loud "WHYYYYYYY". Why is it possible to select and copy text from fields description texts? This is a setting, "enable user interaction" that should have been turned off on the labels that holds the text, when designing the app.

Not the quality I expected, but they do the job.

The newly timer functionality that has held me back so far, work fine, so thats great.

The volume up/down and next source works fine on the touch panel, but for the love of god !!! The 2 standby buttons has life of their own.

When listening to TuneIn and pressing the O shortly to stop playing, the unit turns off, and then 2 seconds later, back on, the only way I can stop the play, is by long pressing, which will call system std.by, if I had a multiroom system.

The power button to the left responds to my touch 1 in 25 touches, and then the unit powers off. The best way to get it to power off, is by quickly pressing the button many times, and then pray and hope.

Really not good enough.

I already miss being able to use my Beo4, as the BL2000 today is in my bedroom, and the A6 should have replaced it. I will not get used to turning on my phone in bed if I need to listen to music, or switch channel. I need to reach out in a dark room, press Radio and 2... Volume up/down also.

I really do not understand why they have not implemented the IR in this, and then in the Beosetup, a possibility to map Beo4 commands to sources and stations.. It would have been so easy.

I am also already missing my TV sound from the living room through the BS9000 when listening to the news in the morning when getting ready, and going from room to room.

This could have been solved with a Moment in the living room, but still it is not possible to use line in from a 3'rd party TV with the moment.

I really want the A6 for the sound and design, but it gives me LESS functionality than I have now via my 15 year old devices.. I really don't think this is good enough. At least not for my use.

As a standalone device it is perfect, if the touch actually worked fine :)

Sigh !!! 

L1NO
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 250
Bronze Member
L1NO replied on Fri, Sep 16 2016 4:40 PM

Regarding the remote; the new beo one bt (bluetooth) works with the beoplay A series.

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Fri, Sep 16 2016 4:53 PM

L1NO:

Regarding the remote; the new beo one bt (bluetooth) works with the beoplay A series.

And this is confirmed ?

My dealer tried, and we could not get the remote paired at the shop, he called B&O, and they said a new SW was required for this to work ?

/Weebyx

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Fri, Sep 16 2016 4:57 PM

Just found a YouTube video about the A6, this shows more what my product does.

Apparently the short press in the middle is source-select, and long press is mute, but the manual states otherwise. Just need to figure the std.by button out :)

/Weebyx

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Fri, Sep 16 2016 5:37 PM
Weebyx:

And this is confirmed ?

My dealer tried, and we could not get the remote paired at the shop, he called B&O, and they said a new SW was required for this to work ?

/Weebyx

The latest A6 SW update brings remote control support. I don't have a B&O remote but I noticed a new configuration menu item for the remote after the update.

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Fri, Sep 16 2016 5:59 PM

mbolo01:
Weebyx:

And this is confirmed ?

/Weebyx

The latest A6 SW update brings remote control support. I don't have a B&O remote but I noticed a new configuration menu item for the remote after the update.

Yes, actually I can see that menu also, so maybe the BeoRemoteOne BT might work now.. I will try to borrow one from my dealer :)

If that works, then we are a long way, but still. I really need the Moment to be able to use sound from my TV.

/Weebyx 

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Fri, Sep 16 2016 7:00 PM

Weebyx:

Yes, actually I can see that menu also, so maybe the BeoRemoteOne BT might work now.. I will try to borrow one from my dealer :)

That's a bit of a shock (that the standard remote doesn't work). I use it to control by A9, so assumed the A6 would also support remote control. I don't really want to buy *another* Beo remote to control the A6 (I already have 3!).

I only recently found out there's no Beo 4 support in the A9 MK2, either!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

mbolo01:

Now - if this would be the same for the BS1/2, it would be great.

Not being forced always to go to the device would certainly make things easier.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Sun, Sep 18 2016 6:03 PM

moxxey:

Weebyx:

That's a bit of a shock (that the standard remote doesn't work). I use it to control by A9, so assumed the A6 would also support remote control. I don't really want to buy *another* Beo remote to control the A6 (I already have 3!).

I only recently found out there's no Beo 4 support in the A9 MK2, either!

Exactly... Although these are Play products, they should not remote functionality, but add functionality to the new Multiroom system. I really love my Beo4's and I cannot see why they decided to not include IR control on the "big" Play products like A6 and A9. It is a deal breaker for me.

For me it just takes to long to find my phone, open the app, find TuneIn or whatever, and change the channel/song. Or I could get up and touch the device in the other side of the room, but then,, whats the point of a remote ?

/Weebyx

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Sun, Sep 18 2016 7:08 PM

Weebyx:

For me it just takes to long to find my phone...

What!?!  You must have your phone at all times - preferably staring at it.  Big Smile

Actually, I feel similarly about my Essence - I guess I can buy a "wheelie"...

Stan

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Maybe they were just 'preparing' for the way the BROne/BT works - that will be the future of B&O remotecontrolling

MM

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Mon, Sep 19 2016 6:30 AM

Millemissen:

Maybe they were just 'preparing' for the way the BROne/BT works - that will be the future of B&O remotecontrolling

MM

And that is fine by me, IF they would share this with the customers. I am just waiting and waiting, to see what happens. How about actually telling customers that they will be able to use the new BT remote with the Play products ? To me it seems as they rush to release products that are not totally finished yet, and if you are the early adopter, you might get a SW update later that solves or adds functionality, OR you will get the big F and they release a MKII instead..

This is bad strategy in my mind, and it keeps me from buying in, as I don't know what I am getting. Its a shame...

/Weebyx

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Weebyx:

This is bad strategy in my mind, and it keeps me from buying in, as I don't know what I am getting. Its a shame...

I am pretty sure, that B&O had (and has) a long term strategy for the remote.

The Play products were/are not primary aimed at costumers, who want a big physical remote - and they certainly would not like the extra costs for that.

The BT remote was not released, when the A6/9 came out, so they could not tell us about it.

If there will be an update for BROne/BT remote controlling, you could regard that as a bonus, that you don't have to pay for (just like adding Google Cast is).

Software updates, that 'solve' problems are here to stay - it is the same with all software driven products (just think of the mobile phones and the apps).

In my view these products will never be totally finished - which IMO is good.

But some times changes will require a new hardware to keep up with new possibilities.

Actually this has been so for a long time - think of the change from BV7 MK2 to MK3 or from BeoCenter9000 to Beocenter 9500 or the change from MCL-link to ML-link....

MM

johnnymacm
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member

Great narrative. I think I have a similar problem. My BS9000 is controlling my whole home system; it is unfortunately bulky and in a prominent part of the house. I was hoping I could use the BSMoment to replace the 9000 (as all I need is an Aux In connection from my Amazon Dot).

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS