Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

combining a set of 1st generation S8 with a pair of beolab 3?

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

williamhotelie
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
williamhotelie Posted: Mon, Sep 19 2016 5:22 AM

Hi guys, I'm a newbie currently in the market for my first B&O set (entry level price wise).

Originally I was going to go for the Beolab 14, but the store sales recommend me to get the soon-to-be-released Beosound 2 instead.  He said 2 of those cones can be used as a pair for great sound quality, which will sound much better than the 14, even though 14 has surround sound (5.1).

I would  much prefer the newer models as well, but 5.1 surround sound does offer better home theater experience.  So instead of just getting the 14, I was wondering if it's possible to combine a few different speakers to create a 4.1/5.1 of my own.  I was looking at some second hand 1st generation S8 which I read here is actually the same as 14 (with 5.1 capability), is it true?  Is it possible to combine those with a pair of Beolab 3 to make 4.1?  or to combine the new wireless Beosound 2 (a pair) with a pair of either Beolab 3 (with wire) or S8 (with wire)?

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi williamhotelie,

Welcome to Beoworld!

I would advise listening to both the Beosound 2 and Beolab 14 and making up your own mind - my personal view is that Beolab 14 far exceeds the sound capabilities of the new Beosound 1 or 2 models, although these are very stylish!

Yes, the S8 is the same is the Beolab 14, although the S8 is only available in black and the extra speakers cannot be purchased in black (to stop people making their own cut-price S8 surround system!) - however you can still add silver Beolab 14 satellite speakers to a black S8 subwoofer if you wish.....

For the best results, I would look at either "paired" Beolab speakers (eg. Beolab 4000, Beolab 3, etc) all round, or a Beolab 14/S8 setup to cover all the channels you need.  I have even seen two Beolab 14 (4.1+5.1) systems used together with an AV receiver in a 9.2 channel twin subwoofer configuration, which was absolutely superb!

Above all, listen to the sound quality before buying and let your ears decide for you.  I can provide cables to make any combination of speakers work with any surround system, so please ask if you need any help Wink

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

williamhotelie:

He said 2 of those cones can be used as a pair for great sound quality, 

That would be new to me!

Which dealer told you this?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

williamhotelie
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member

He said the new Beosound 1 cannot be used as a pair, but the new Beosound 2 can (via transmitter 1).

so now I'm thinking...  if I give up on the surround sound setup, I can go either:

1. Pair of Beolab 3, each hooked up with Receiver 1, and connect wirelessly via Transmitter 1.

2. Pair of New Beosound 2, and connect wirelessly via Transmitter 1.

Option 1 being a lot cheaper.

What do you guys think?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

'but the new Beosound 2 can (via transmitter 1)'.

He surely means, 'using the line-in connection of the BS2'.

That would be possible, yes - but it would also contradict the use of the BS2 as the BeoSound it is.

And I also doubt, that using 2 speakers conceived and tuned for single use would be wise.

If you could get more 'details' from him, it would be nice.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

I'd listen to what Steve wrote.

Go for a setup, that is made of 'equal' speakers all the way 'round (and the sub in addition).

MM

williamhotelie
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

'but the new Beosound 2 can (via transmitter 1)'.

He surely means, 'using the line-in connection of the BS2'.

That would be possible, yes - but it would also contradict the use of the BS2 as the BeoSound it is.

And I also doubt, that using 2 speakers conceived and tuned for single use would be wise.

If you could get more 'details' from him, it would be nice.

MM

well the new Beosound 2 is wireless so the sales person said getting a pair of them, and they can be connected as left and right via transmitter 1.  Beosound 2 is not yet available here in Taiwan, he will call me as soon as it becomes available end of October he said.

so, following Steve's advise, perhaps going for the Beolab 14 5.1 is easier.  I will need to get a amplifier for this, right?  also, does anyone know the power voltage on the subwoofer of Beolab 14?  Taiwan has the same 110v as US, but not compatible with the European specs.  it would be nice if Beolab uses 110-240v, which means I can buy it anywhere around the world insteading of paying the premium locally.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
Buy two S8's instead Big Smile

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS