Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Remove / Replace BeoCenter 9000 MKIII from whole home system (BeoSound Moment?)

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

johnnymacm
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
johnnymacm Posted: Mon, Sep 19 2016 7:25 PM

Greetings

I purchased a home with a BeoCenter 9000 MKIII that drives music across four rooms (I believe two zones). I would like to remove the BeoCenter 9000 and replace it with something smaller. The closest B&O retailer suggested replacing the 9000 with a BeoSound Momement and a BeoLink converter.

Ideally, I would only be playing music from an AUX source (Amazon Dot through a 3.5mm connector). Has anyone done something similar? Is this the best option or are there other options I should consider?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Tue, Sep 20 2016 7:03 AM

Hi and welcome to Beoworld :-)

if you just need an aux-source, I would suggest only an NL-converter as it can act as an audiomaster on the older ML bus. If you want a little more comfort you could add a Beosound Essence MK 2, too.

That way you have 2 Aux sources in your system and everything is nearly invisible. The Essence plays the usual streaming sources (including DLNA, Airplay etc.), too.

After some experience with it I strongly dislike the Moment. The user experience is not what I expected and it looks like some chinese tried to design a B&O device with that silly china tablet put lovelessly into a half hearted designed aluminium frame.... ;)

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Tue, Sep 20 2016 7:16 AM

johnnymacm:

Greetings

I purchased a home with a BeoCenter 9000 MKIII that drives music across four rooms (I believe two zones). I would like to remove the BeoCenter 9000 and replace it with something smaller. The closest B&O retailer suggested replacing the 9000 with a BeoSound Momement and a BeoLink converter.

Ideally, I would only be playing music from an AUX source (Amazon Dot through a 3.5mm connector). Has anyone done something similar? Is this the best option or are there other options I should consider?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

I would keep the BS9000 :) It is so iconic.... And if you just need the AUX source, the BS9000 works fine :)

How is the 9000 mounted today ?

/Weebyx

johnnymacm
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member

The BS9000 is mounted to the wall. It looks great, works fantastic. To be honest, the home was outfitted as a executive suite and I don't think this was actually ever used. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit with our vision for the home. The previous owner had his massive, expensive B&O sound system as a centerpiece for the home.  Check this out (right next to the kitchen), a view into the guts.

whiHi21

And the BS9000 is right as you enter the house

AapgjzN

So, I really want to remove the BS9000 and simplify my setup.  Suggestions welcome!

johnnymacm
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member

TWG
Thanks for the insight; can I fully swap out the BS9000 with a NL-converter? My preference would be to remove the BS9000 completely.

The local B&O sales guy indicated that I would need Four Essences (see quote below) and Four Remotes or One Moment and One Converter.

TBH, I just want all the rooms to play at the same time and am looking for the lowest cost, easiest method to move from a working BS9000 multi room to one Aux source (my Amazon Echo through a 3.5mm connector or RCA connector).

I will check out the NL-converter paired with the Beosound Essence MK 2.

=======================================================

OPTION 1
Item Description Qty Price Ext Price
1290073 Beosound Essence 4 $895.00 $3,580.00
1293015 Beosound Essence Remote 4 $265.00 $1,060.00
Subtotal: $4,640.00
Cables: $225.00
Installation: $780.00
Tax: $0.00
Grand Total: $5,645.00
OPTION 2
Item Description Qty Price Ext Price
1290071 Beosound Moment 1 $3,000.00 $3,000.00
1179011 Beolink Converter 1 $1,050.00 $1,050.00
Subtotal: $4,050.00
Cables: $495.00
Installation: $1,060.00
Tax: $0.00
Grand Total: $5,605.00 

johnnymacm
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member

96 Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

One other question. If I choose to use the NL-converter, I would think that I will also need a way to convert from current PL speakers to RJ45 to connect to the NL? Something like the SoundsHeavenly "RJ45 to Powerlink compatible clip-on adapter (Convert New 2013 "Ethernet" Powerlink to traditional 8 pin DIN Powerlink)?

petermc
Top 500 Contributor
Australia
Posts 128
Founder
petermc replied on Wed, Sep 21 2016 4:07 AM
My question before you do anything is ask what you want to get out of the system.

Is the Amazon Dot to be used for Tunein Radio, Spotify or some other streaming service? Are you happy with only the option of playing the same source in all rooms or do you want the option of different music/sources able to play in all rooms whether differently or at the same time?

From the pictures you have supplied I'm guessing that there are a pair of B&O speakers attached directly to the Bs9000 and also 2 other pairs of B&O speakers in other rooms. Also is there a pair of speakers in the ceiling or wall or outside that aren't B&O?

The top 2 boxes in your cupboard drive B&O active speakers while the bigger box at the bottom usually drive passive speakers (eg other (non active) brands or outdoor speakers etc).

Are you able to advise the speaker types that you have?

Peter

jowus
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 161
Bronze Member
jowus replied on Wed, Sep 21 2016 5:18 AM
It looks to me, whoever advising you to purchases all these Systems doesn't know what he's talking about. If you going to buy the Converter with the Moment you can even do everything on your own. The Converter is going to be connected to the 9000 for the Moment to work with it. I won't Change 9000 for anything. This's something you can do on your own to eliminate all the other cost. You can also add PlayMaker to the 9000 to stream from your IPhone or iPad with the system. Good Luck Mr Lucker Guy.
johnnymacm
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member

johnnymacm
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member

Petermc

Great questions, thank you.

I want to stream music from the Dot (using an AuxIn), I am happy with the option of playing from one source across all rooms at the same volume.  I posted what I think is the actual configuration of the system (although I am unsure of the connections to my cupboard of Beolink Active/Passive devices.

In the end. I want to remove the TV/Audio visual system and the BS9000 and just have this function as a simple whole-home system. The B&O sales guy wants to charge me $6K to make that happen. I would like to look for cheaper alternatives.

johnnymacm
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member

Jowus

How can I do this if I *remove* the BS9000?

petermc
Top 500 Contributor
Australia
Posts 128
Founder
petermc replied on Thu, Sep 22 2016 4:38 AM

Hi Johnny,

Some more questions.

Main Floor - when you turn on a source with silver round 'puck' do all the Beolab 4's (6?) come on at once? Just trying to work out if there are speakers actually directly connected to the BS9000 or are all run from the Beolink Active.

Second Floor - do you know if the Beosystem1 /Beocenter 2 is connected to the rest of the house with a Masterlink cable or is the system standalone?

Assuming that it is Masterlink connected when you remove the AV system do you want the speakers to stay and have access to sound or is everything being removed?

If you want sound to stay is it an option for the Beocenter 2 (BC2) to remain in the room?

If you're happy to keep the BC2 (and it's Masterlink connected) you could then attach the Amazon device to this and operate the whole system as you do now. You could then remove the TV and the BS9000.

Alternatively you could relocate the BC 2 to the cupboard where the 2 Actives and the Passive are located and run it from there. If you removed the BC2 from the Second Floor and still wanted sound through the B&O speakers you would need to obtain another Beolink Active Box. You can get them on eBay for not too much money.

All these options might need some cables or connectors but it shouldn't be a lot of money.

There are other options if this scenario doesn't suit.

Peter

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS