Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beomaster 6000

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

atc56
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
atc56 Posted: Thu, Oct 20 2016 10:06 PM

I recently picked up a used BM6000 that I knew needed work. I want it to go with my RL140 speakers:)

When I power it up, it shows a zero on the display, and either one arrow (In mono) or both arrows when I switch to fm stereo. That is all that it will do, no buttons work, just sits with a large zero being displayed. Any ideas as to where to start? I have some electronics skills, can read a schematic, etc. Just don't have a clue on this thing, lots of boards under that hood lol!

Thanks

Gary

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Thu, Oct 20 2016 11:39 PM

Hi, Those are nice receivers. I have one I use fairly often that I restored a few years back and I have restored a few others. Due to the age you should expect to do a full recap (replacing the electrolytic capacitors with new ones). The old capacitors in the power supply related areas are likely affecting the power to the Beomaster 6000 brain (an early microprocessor). If that device doesn't initialize or is unstable the receiver will not work. There are other problems that can be present of course but getting the power working correctly is the first priority. After that you might have problems with the volume control motor and with segments in the display being bad. Quite a few problems in those units can come from bad connections as well. What is the physical condition of the Beomaster (inside and out)? Does it look like it has been kept in a good environment? No rust or moldy smells?

Post some pictures of the outside and inside and we can get a better assessment of what the condition is.

It is best to have a good de-soldering tool, soldering tool, digital multi-meter and oscilloscope to work on a receiver. I don't know what your skill level is but keep in mind these were not designed for home owners to work on regarding the type of restoration repairs you will need to do. If you are committed to learning the system and getting it working though, the Beomaster 6000 is nicely organized for a technician to access the components. Don't start out pulling out any of the integrated circuits or transistors. The first steps are to change the electrolytic capacitors and check solder joints of connectors. Make sure correct power is everywhere it is supposed to, then re-evaluate what needs to be done.

-sonavor

atc56
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
atc56 replied on Sat, Oct 22 2016 12:02 AM

Thanks for the quick reply!  I've been reading all the posts I can find on  the forum so I have a better understanding of what's going on inside the unit. It is a nice piece of gear, I have a few other B&O pieces, the beolab 3 speakers and sliding glass door receiver, the top of the line linear tracking turntable, still in it's original box, and 4 RL140 speakers and only one pair of stands :) I am in the process of refoaming the woofers, maybe this weekend.

The 6000 is in very good condition overall, and I have a bit of experience modifying gear, especially tube units. Only thing I don't have any more is my O scope, was getting old and collecting dust so I sold it. I just took a few shots of the unit, I'll upload them shortly!

Thanks

Gary

atc56
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
atc56 replied on Mon, Oct 24 2016 11:16 PM

Do you have a list of the ones you commonly see needing replacement. I tried uploading some pics but I think they're too large (4.1mb)

But the unit is very clean, no rust or very much oxidation, so thats good! Looks like its been indoors, not up in an attic or garage. I'm in east Texas,it would be arusty mess in my garage lol

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Tue, Oct 25 2016 6:15 AM

It is best to use something like Photoshop or Paint to size images down to around 650 pixels wide to 1020 pixels wide. If you have a wide shot of a lot of components it will be hard to post an image where everything is clear at a decent resolution for a web page. For those cases copy your original picture to a new file name and edit/crop the copy to the area you want to show. Then size the cropped image to something that will easily fit on a forum page.

One of my first Beoworld projects was a Beomaster 6000 type 225x. For that first unit I found it easiest to get a recap kit from Martin (Dillen on this forum). His kit will have all of the capacitors you need to replace and instructions for what boards they are on. Just send him a private message on the forum.

-sonavor

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS