Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab 4500 same amp than beolab 5000

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 0 Followers

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,391
Bronze Member
olvisab Posted: Thu, Oct 27 2016 9:25 AM

hello

Someome told me that it was the same amps inside the beolab 4500 and 5000?

is it true ? 

4 beolab 5,  beolab 9, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000 mk2, beolab 6002, beolab 3500, beovision 7 55 mk2,  2 beovision 11 46 mk4, beotime, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beoplay A8, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Thu, Oct 27 2016 9:50 AM

Yep, Same STK module inside.

Difference is the display.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

I remember a thread some time ago, where it was said, that there is a small difference.

That was about differences of the BL3000/5000!

Something to do with the 5000 having two woofers and the smaller only one.

Better wait for someone 'in knowing' to explain that!

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Thu, Oct 27 2016 10:05 AM

That difference is the R231 in the pre-amplifyingstage in the audiosignal.

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,391
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Thu, Oct 27 2016 10:14 AM

Thanks for all these fast and precise answer.

if in case my beolab 5000 amp is dead, will I have any audible difference if I swap the amp with one of a beolab 4500 ?

I am searching for a ****, please pm me if you have one.

**** EDITED by Dillen
We kindly ask for a minimum membership level of silver to place sales/wanted ads.
Your support will be appreciated.

4 beolab 5,  beolab 9, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000 mk2, beolab 6002, beolab 3500, beovision 7 55 mk2,  2 beovision 11 46 mk4, beotime, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beoplay A8, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

Dennis
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 627
Bronze Member
Dennis replied on Thu, Oct 27 2016 12:54 PM

Yes, you will get more low-end with a BL4500 amp. The resistor is there to dampen the low-end in the BL5000s since it has the benefit of an extra bass driver and a larger cabinet as pointed out by Millemissen. I don't know how much of an audible difference it will make though as I've never tried to exchange them.

In the BL3000s the resistors were simply cut off in one side and bend away, so it is very simple to just solder them together again, if it has to be used as a BL5000. But as far as I can tell from the diagram, R231 isn't present in BL4500 which makes sense. I believe you should be able to just exchange board 2 between the two amplifiers though, since the only other difference between them AFAIK is the microprocessor board because of the different display. But why don't you just have your BL5000 amplifier repaired? 

/Dennis

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Thanks, Dennis.

That's what I call ''someone in knowing' ;-)

By the way - who can repair the BL3000/5000 amps (in DK)?

Feel free to PM me, if you should know.

MM

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,391
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Thu, Oct 27 2016 6:53 PM

Thanks dennis for all these precise informations.

In france it is not so easy to find someone able to repair a beolab 5000 for less than a second hand pair of 4500 or 3000.

I have one bl5000 amp with a clicking issue and dead display issue, both issues disappear when the amps are cold (not used for a certain time). Something that probably overheating.

if you give me a good address, I am ready to dismantle it and send it.

I keep a pair of beolab 4500 with one dead display in case the bl5000 amps became completely faulty.

Dennis
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 627
Bronze Member
Dennis replied on Thu, Oct 27 2016 8:48 PM

Well, these speakers are slowly starting to reach an age where cracked solder joints and dried out electrolytic capacitors can begin to be an issue - there aren't really that many of these caps though (less than 20 as far as I can tell), so a complete overhaul is fairly manageable if necessary. 

I have the circuit boards of what probably equals to 3 x BL3000/4500/5000 except the transformators and a few other parts. Displays and microprocessors (3000/5000) were sold to a fellow BeoWorlder a couple of years ago since I only own BL4500s now. Other than that they seem to be more or less complete though, so they could come in handy as spares, but there is a risk they are faulty as well.

I had a BL3000 once with an intermittent working display. Dabbing it a little could bring it back sometimes. Turned out to be a bad solder joint on one of the supply leads - a known fault if I remember correctly and can be fixed in no time by reflowing the solder joints. If the BL4500 you have only has problems with the display, you could try to just move the microprocessor, display and system control board (the one with the resistor) over from the BL5000. If the clicking problem disappears, that's one fault down, one to go. And if you know someone with a soldering iron, you could try to have the joints of the supply leads on the display board reflowed. 

The circuit boards can be a bit tricky to remove though, and one has to be very careful with the flexible flat cables, so it requires some patience and caution - but that's usually the case with electronics. Smile

I usually repair my equipment myself and when I fall short from time to time I usually turn to my dad who used to work as a radio and television mechanic. If you don't have the courage yourself to give it a try, I would be happy to give it a shot if you pay for spare parts (if any) and shipping - 10 kgs from Denmark to France would cost around €60 though, but I might be able to find a cheaper solution.

Someone not very far from me has an amp from a BL5000 and from a BL4500 as well for sale - they cost around €110 a piece, so a bit expensice, and the add doesn't state if they work or not. How much is a pair of these speaker in France btw.? In Denmark a pair of BL3000 can be had for around €200 on a good day.

Beautiful speakers - hope you get them working. The BL4500 is one of my all time favorite Bang & Olufsen speaker designs. 

/Dennis

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Fri, Oct 28 2016 9:42 AM

Millemissen:

By the way - who can repair the BL3000/5000 amps (in DK)?

Feel free to PM me, if you should know.

MM

Feel free to PM if you need some help from abroad,

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Beobuddy:

Feel free to PM if you need some help from abroad,

Thank you very much for your offer.

But shouldn't it be possible to 'get help' in the land of B&O ;-(

MM

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Fri, Oct 28 2016 12:23 PM

It should, yes. And it probably will be (as there several technicians around the Struer Museum to maintain the treasured goodies)

They already know my (real)name in Herning, Bremdal and Viborg ;-)

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Ok! I got it ;-))

MM

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Fri, Oct 28 2016 1:49 PM

If Beolover is the same Rudy I Know, then he probably knows several capable people in Denmark

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Fri, Oct 28 2016 1:50 PM

And what about Dillen?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Dillen is a bit far away from me - but I am sure he is capable.

When I come to that part of Denmark once again - I'll ask him, if he is willing.

(I guess he has a lot to do!).

There is no hurry, since the amps aren't needed right now.

And really - I just wanted an opinion, whether it would be worth it doing a repair....

....I already sold the speakers/the 3000/5000 Vox.

Maybe some one would need the amps some day - and then (of course) they would have to be fully functional.

MM

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS