Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

WiSA

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 4 Followers

ssbrig
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Bronze Member
ssbrig Posted: Wed, Nov 2 2016 1:43 PM

I am interested in hearing BeoWorld member feedback on WiSA.  I have the Avant 55, four BeoLab 17's and two BeoLab 9's that are WiSA enabled using the transmitter.  I've been very pleased with the wireless performance and sound.  I don't see new products (from B&O or other manufacturers) adopting WiSA lately and their web site hasn't been updated since 2015.  General impressions of WiSA, it's performance, and it's future are welcome. 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

All new B&O products (BV14/BV Horizon, BL90) have WiSA/WirelessPowerLink built-in.

The new BS1/2 don't need WiSA, since they have the speakers built-in.

There is no reason to think, that this will change.

As for the homepage not being updated, you surely mean the WiSA-page?

Maybe you are right, but then again - it is a company, that offers technology/solutions and not products.

Recently Klipsch released a system based upon WiSA:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-premiere-hd-wireless

WiSA is doing well - but not every manufacturer is willing to pay the costs.

Most are implementing bluetooth or simple wifi-connection for their speakers/gear.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Im happy with the performance of Wisa - there is no lag.

im using it with Avant 55 and 2 BL 18s as rear speakers and a BL19 sub. 

When WISA was launched, Sharp also had a WISA player - and i never saw it in the shops - which is a real pity. 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

By the way - LG is also a member of the WiSA association.

We might see something from them in the future.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Nov 3 2016 10:23 AM
I don't find wisa totally hassle free. Having had drop outs I moved my transmitter 1 some months ago and I have enjoyed faultless connection to my BL18s until a week ago when drop outs suddenly started. Absolutely nothing had moved. I have had to try the transmitter in a number of different locations and hopefully now have stability again. I don't know what caused this but my experience over the last couple of years has been that some ongoing periodic adjustment is required.
Roger
Top 200 Contributor
Norway
Posts 417
Bronze Member
Roger replied on Thu, Nov 3 2016 1:04 PM

I replaced all speakers in the living room with wisa speakers, and experienced drop outs and speakers going silent. As they only glow red for a few seconds, I found it difficult to notice when a surround or front speaker dropped out during a movie - that is until it became obvious. Tried various channels on my router (believed to be the source for interference), but ended up unplugging them for a few sec when I saw they went red.

Came home late one night when my significant other had friends over, and they listened to music with only the BL19 being active - the following day I dropped wisa and went with good old PL-cables.

Roger

L1NO
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 250
Bronze Member
L1NO replied on Thu, Nov 3 2016 1:20 PM

There has been some heat problems with the transmitter. Mount it upright and try to create some airflow. 

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 995
Bronze Member
Roger:

I replaced all speakers in the living room with wisa speakers, and experienced drop outs and speakers going silent. As they only glow red for a few seconds, I found it difficult to notice when a surround or front speaker dropped out during a movie - that is until it became obvious. Tried various channels on my router (believed to be the source for interference), but ended up unplugging them for a few sec when I saw they went red.

Came home late one night when my significant other had friends over, and they listened to music with only the BL19 being active - the following day I dropped wisa and went with good old PL-cables.

Roger

Wired it's the only way Roger!

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Nov 3 2016 1:50 PM
L1NO:

There has been some heat problems with the transmitter. Mount it upright and try to create some airflow.

Good idea.
ssbrig
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Bronze Member
ssbrig replied on Thu, Nov 3 2016 3:44 PM

for those that have used WiSA and have converted back to cable connection....do you notice a difference in sound quality between the two?  

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Nov 3 2016 4:41 PM

Duels:
L1NO:

Good idea.

Now that is disappointing. Especially for a company that talks about how they use rigorous environmental testing on their products, this transmitter should be designed to handle a wide range of temperatures. Not surprised that a digital transmitter might have issues, they themselves produce a lot of heat, depending on bit rate/clock speed, higher means more temp loading, and add environmental thermal load or in a closed cabinet. But that should have been considered in the design, especially for something as pricey as B&O is. I wonder how much of the design of ancillary digital stuff like this B&O farms out to other companies?

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Jeff:

Now that is disappointing. Especially for a company that talks about how they use rigorous environmental testing on their products, this transmitter should be designed to handle a wide range of temperatures. Not surprised that a digital transmitter might have issues, they themselves produce a lot of heat, depending on bit rate/clock speed, higher means more temp loading, and add environmental thermal load or in a closed cabinet. But that should have been considered in the design, especially for something as pricey as B&O is. I wonder how much of the design of ancillary digital stuff like this B&O farms out to other companies?

Jeff

Beovirus victim, it's gotten to be too much to list!

Hear, hear!
L1NO
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 250
Bronze Member
L1NO replied on Fri, Nov 4 2016 10:50 PM

Jeff:

Duels:
L1NO:

Good idea.

Do note that 90% of all these type of devices have specific mounting procedures and nobody follows them. Placing devices close together, placement bevouse of heat to line of sight. Not many actually use them as prescribed. So in a way, they should be more resiliant agains these issues.

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 995
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Fri, Nov 4 2016 11:17 PM
Wireless is always a compromise.

WISA is no different.

No professional installer EVER would recommend a WISA over a wired installation.
Norwin
Not Ranked
Frankfurt
Posts 57
Bronze Member
Norwin replied on Sun, Nov 6 2016 6:05 PM

I'm happy with the performance of wireless vs cabling. Hear no quality difference as I tried out. Have BL18 and 19 connected to a Moment. Moment had dropouts to my internet router which latest update resolved but never had dropouts connecting to BL's.

Regards,

Norwin

Beosound Halo, Beosound Core 2x, Beosound 1, Beosound M3 3x, Beolab 18, 19, 12-1, 4000, Beoplay H7, A1, Almando Multiplay Surround Switch

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS