Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

New MacBook Pro 2016

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Aussie Michael Posted: Tue, Nov 22 2016 10:02 AM

Hi has anyone ordered one of these yet, or with the LG Ultrafine 5K display?

I am interested in hearing others opinions on it

i wonder if i can use my A1 speakers with the USB C dock on the back of the LG display as computer speakers

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Nov 22 2016 10:41 AM
I've tested the touch bar and it had pluses and minuses, however as I bought its predecessor only 4 months ago I am not going to splurge.

I am very interested in a replacement for the Mac Mini ............

I am interested in the screens from an academic perspective i.e. not a buyer.

Apple is abandoning standalone screens and routers like the airports and time capsules - I am not impressed !

BeoNut since '75

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Tue, Nov 22 2016 7:48 PM

My 15" MBPro (touchbar) arrives sometime in the first week of December. Big Smile (I'm upgrading from a Late 2011 13" MBPro)

Similar to elephant, I'm disappointed that Apple is abandoning routers and displays -- especially the displays. I'm curious where they're headed. Additionally, the termination of Sal Soghoian's position is also worrysome. For those who don't know, Sal is basically Mr. AppleScript, AppleEvents, Automator, and all of the backend tools which made the Mac even more efficient to use.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Ed, it's interesting isn't it?  I am also coming from an education perspective - I did finally manage to see a review of the 5K screen, but i think it is mainly a "first take" - would love to find out if it actually can be used with say my work computer. 

I read that Apple was moving staff out of the "airport" side of the business but nothing about them abandoning the actual division.  Its short sighted if they did as they have so much money they don't necessarily need to axe the Dept.  I thought perhaps they were going to move the staff to enhaance airport capabilities in other areas. 

I may use my older MBP as a "mac mini".  Ive had this MBP for 3 years so it was a time for me.  I am reading that everyone is banging on about dongles.  I thought it was also an issue, but i rarely connect anything to it, so its an inconvenience, but not a real biggie 

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Hi Sal,

Why did you go with a 15 over a 13?  Was it because it had the dedicated GPU and 16GB RAM standard?  

I ordered the 13 with 512 last week.  I would have loved to have a dedicated GPU but didnt want the 15 size just because of it and the price was creeping up there. 

For me it will mainly used for beoworld, facebook, excel, and civilization and video chat.  

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Sat, Nov 26 2016 11:04 PM

Aussie Michael, apologies for the long winded response...

I am currently using a late 2011 13" MacBook Pro / 16GB RAM / 2.4GHz i5.

My previous main machine was a Mid 2010 Mac Pro ("cheesegrater").

I surprised my wife with a 15" Retina MacBook Pro very early last year, and then the musical Apple Chairs game began. I took her Late-2011 MacBook Pro as my main machine (see above). I also wanted to see how a laptop would fare as my main computer.

I had always had "Pro" Macs since the mis 90s starting with a PowerMac 6100. The Mid 2010 Mac Pro is now being used as a server, feeding music to the Essence MkII via iTunes (Twonky), and Plex for video. I had already decked it out with 5 internal Hard drives, 16GB RAM, and an upgraded Graphics card and I know, I know, a total waste of computing power for what it currently does, but I can't bear to part with it. It has just been a flawless workhorse.

My wife's hand-me-down laptop did just fine for the most part of what I use it for. It is a personal machine that I use for work, email, MSOffice, and the normal duties for surfing the net, and writing long posts on BeoWorld Big Smile. The heaviest lifting it does is when I run X-Plane - a flight simulator. What I liked about my first foray into laptop land is that I can take my main computer with me and have no compromises or "homework" to tidy up when I get home with it. My wife just shrugged and said "I told you so" as she has ONLY used Apple laptops for her computing life.

Since I now know that I liked the portability of a laptop, and that my wife and I go for years and years before buying new computers, I decided to pony up for the higher end 15" for the headroom it can potentially provide me for the next few years or longer -- at least -- since Apple no longer offers user-serviceable parts (i.e. hard disks, RAM) in their laptops. So the computer that arrives on Tuesday is the 2.7 Core i7 / 16GB RAM / 1TB SSD / Radeon 460. Basically a desktop level machine that is relatively portable.

We're both currently running our MBPros connected to 27" Apple Cinema Displays (non thunderbolt) with OWC Thunderbolt 2 docks, so I've ordered the Thunderbolt 3 to 2 dongle. The dock already has all of the connections I need, so I'm not one of those clamoring on dongles. I will, though, consider OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock when they release it next year. I do hope (and have a feeling) that USB-C (and the thunderbolt 3 form factor) is here to stay. It is far too elegant an interface to not catch on. 

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Nov 27 2016 4:14 AM
I typed a reply

And as often is the case it went astray

So in short like Sal and Aussie Michael I shuffle our Macs around

And as a result get great mileage

BeoNut since '75

Zwaan
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 121
Bronze Member
Zwaan replied on Fri, Dec 16 2016 4:27 PM
We recommend the following solution instead, in order to move music from your computer to the BeoMaster 5:

In order to move music to the BeoMaster 5, you can map the library manually from Mac OS X Finder

• On BeoSound 5 in SETTINGS -> NETWORK INFO, the IP address of BeoMaster 5 is written

• On Mac, open Finder - in top bar select "GO" - "Connect to server"

• In server address type: smb:///bm-share$

• Provide 'BM-USER' as user and the password stored in SETTINGS -> NETWORK SETTINGS -> CLIENT PASSWORD on BeoSound 5

• Now select the server in Finder: Shared -> IP-address of BM5 -> Music. (or if "connected servers" are shown on desktop -> choose the "BM-SHARE$" icon)

• You are now able to drag and drop files from your computer to the music library on BeoMaster 5

Other tip:

Since the BeoMaster 5 supports the Bonjour (or zeroconf) protocol for hostname resolution, you don't need to manually look up the IP address. Just enter the following line in the "Connect to server" dialog:

smb://BM-USER@BeoMaster5.local/bm-share$

and then enter the password. (Note the additional short-cut of entering the username in the dialog.)

Two more tricks

- When entering the password, check the "Remember this password in my keychain" checkbox, so you won't have to reenter the password every time (see screenshot).

- Drag the network drive "bm-share$" into the Finder's sidebar (left-most column in a Finder window), so it appears under "Favorites" (see second screenshot). Then, to mount the disk, you just have to click on this short-cut.
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Fri, Dec 16 2016 11:10 PM
Zwaan:

We recommend the following solution instead, in order to move music from your computer to the BeoMaster 5:

Zeaan, did your very useful post end up in the wrong thread / forum ??

BeoNut since '75

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS