Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Connecting PS3 to BV6 (first gen), HDCP

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Seven
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
Seven Posted: Tue, Aug 7 2012 9:28 PM

Folks,

here's a quite complicated question: I've got a 2005 Beovision 6 (Type 9251). This baby has DVI in. Since HDMI and DVI is very similar, I can easily connect an Xbox360 to my Telly through a DVI cable and an inexpensive, nonactive HDMI-to-DVI dongle and enjoy pristine 720p digital video.

Now I bought a PS3, and tried to connect it the same way. But it won't work, and I already found the culprit: HDCP. While Xbox sends its digital signal cunsumer-friendly without anti-piracy-technology, Sony resorted to always having its console send digital stuff encrypted with HDCP.

Now I like my telly very much. I don't want to replace it. I also don't want to throw my local B&O center another 500€ to make it HDMI compliant, because the problem is simply those Sony bastards who prohibit equipment that I bought from working the way I want it.

So my question is simply - isn't there a cheaper way? Are there adapters out there that just remove the HDCP signal? I imagine some small boxes with two HDMI plugs, in goes HDMI-with-HDCP, out goes HDMI-without-HDCP. Does something like that exist?

Thanks for any pointers!

carlito
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 239
Bronze Member
carlito replied on Wed, Aug 8 2012 7:53 AM

There is no cheaper solution available - the TV needs the HD-ready kit!

Same problem (Error message) with using an AppleTV over DVI on a BV6 or BV7 without HD-ready Module

beomaster224
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

I don't have any experience with Beovision TVs, but couldn't you connect the PS3 via the YUV/Component cable that is available separately? I don't know if the Beovision has a YUV terminal, but then you could still connect a YUV to DVI adapter. As far as I remember, the PS3 supports up to 1080p via YUV (which is very unusual for YUV but is allegedly due to being one of the first HDMI 1.3 compliant devices).

It might not be the most elegant option, but I guess it would cost only a fraction of the price you mentioned.

But as I just learned, you should check which DVI terminal your TV has. YUV is an analog signal, so DVI-I (integrated) and DVI-A (analog) would work while DVI-D (digital) won't. Those types have different numbers and layouts of their pins. So if your TV has no YUV input, you should google/yahoo/whatever your DVI input to see, if you aren't stuck with an upgrade to your TV.

Seven
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
Seven replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 2:14 AM

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately, this model does not have YUV input, as far as I can tell.

Also, that HD ready kit is what I was talking about. I asked two local B&O centers, and they both quoted me the absurd high price of 500 euros (kit including work). This being Switzerland - are the prices different in other countries?

Any other ideas? I just need to remove that HDCP stuff - aren't there any converters like that?

beomaster224
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

It seems as if your only option would be the HDFury4, which is able to be connect the HDMI output digitally (DVI-D). All the lesser options (including the 4 in its basic version) only provide analog output which is useless for you (since the manufacturers claim on their homepage that they are HDCP members and everything is legal, I post this info as I read it, if the mods feel that I'm violating any forum rules, feel free to remove my post).

The problem is: it costs 499 Dollars, which is just a bit cheaper considering the exchange rate, but adding shipping and customs... At that price the B&O option seems like the way to go. I guess it all depends on how long you plan to keep your BV6. 500 Euros is a hefty price-tag for something that adds a relatively minor feature (subjectively for the consumer, I don't know how much engineering and programming is needed for this).

500 Euros for this feels like going to a restaurant and having to pay all other guests' meals so that the waiter finally brings a spoon for your soup... I really understand the way you feel about this.

Seven
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
Seven replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 12:35 AM

Brillant replay, beomaster224, many thanks!

I knew that something like that must exist, now I know for sure! Big Smile

Although that price is really a bummer. Not what I had in mind Angry

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS