Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoMaster 4000 Travelling The World

rated by 0 users
This post has 39 Replies | 1 Follower

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan Posted: Fri, Aug 10 2012 4:22 AM

Hello everyone,

Maybe you all remember a very popular thread started on the previous forum, one about a certain BeoMaster 4000 that was to be exchanged at the B&O headquarters in Struer this past May and transported to America for restoration. Sadly, the transaction did not happen as I could not attend the trip and the project was binned.

For those of you who are not familiar or would like to remember, click HERE to read up.

However, I have good news to report. The BeoMaster 4000 was finally handed off to me in Germany last week! So, for all you lovely BeoWorlders, I have documented the story.......

Last week in Hockenheim Germany, I was attending a racing event and organized with member Gunther to hand-off the BeoMaster since he was relatively local. After a few emails and phone calls, we met up at the track and started chatting about BeoWorld, racing and of course the BeoMaster...

Here we are at the campsite of the Hockenheimring. A teammate was nice enough to snap our picture. We also took a few pictures with Gunther's camera - maybe we can get him to post them Smile

During the event, the BeoMaster would stay in my tent in its box waiting to travel the world!!!

Beo4 'til I die!

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Congrats Evan, thats really good news, and compliment to Gunther for such a nice gift, And pics Gunther Laughing

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 4:42 AM

Well here we are on Monday morning. Behind me is the Hockenheimring and the campsite has been deconstructed, time to get hiking! First stop is the Deutsche Bahn train station on the other side of the city. Boxed and wrapped in plastic is the BeoMaster, ready to begin its trip to the USA!

Here is the first leg mapped out: Google reports the trip is only 3.1km. Sounds like a short hike, but not when carrying a BeoMaster!!Laughing

Beo4 'til I die!

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 4:46 AM

Here we are waiting on the train to Frankfurt. We will be departing from the airport in Frankfurt on Tuesday morning. 

The route to Frankfurt was a 100km trip north, via 3 trains.

Beo4 'til I die!

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 5:23 AM

Here we are at a stop roughly halfway between Hockenheim and Frankfurt, not sure exactly where. The box seems to be holding up well! Big Smile

IMG_1003.jpg

Ok, going to stop the thread here for now, will resume tomorrow! Night Smile

Beo4 'til I die!

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 6:51 AM

This is great Laughing Yes - thumbs up

--mika

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 9:38 AM

Evan:
Here is the first leg mapped out: Google reports the trip is only 3.1km. Sounds like a short hike, but not when carrying a BeoMaster!!Laughing

LOL

Congratulations -- good to see Gunther as large as life !!

BeoNut since '75

hemenex
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 569
Founder
hemenex replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 11:28 AM

Yep, here it goes....

That's how I looked when hearing about the missing in Struer:

But then hearing about that Hockenheim thing I felt better.

Evan:
We also took a few pictures with Gunther's camera - maybe we can get him to post them Smile

Well they look almost identical - except this one about the team:

Sorry to hear about your half-time pitstop trouble - Maybe the little honda didn't like the German beer Stick out tongue

Congrats to overall rank 46 anyway; better luck next year? Wink

Some info about all this Hockenheim FSG event you can find here.  Was the very first time I watched internet TV BTW. Embarrassed Just to find out that car30 was out there before I started watching inet and the electric cars...

The old thread isn't too much fun without all those pictures so for those who don't remember it will be a hard time following it.

Anyway, BM seemed to have arrived safely in the States. Wonder how the story will continue; And I'm looking for another cousin named BM1900 arriving soon. Nice one, too; have several of them. You'll have to find a lot of passive speakers now; And rooms to fill them in Wink

@Sören: I'm not guilty for showing up personally in the thread - I wouldn't; Your fault for watching Stick out tongue

And Ed knows me by now already; give my regards to Sue...

Gunther

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 6:16 PM

Want to see photograph of BM sitting in an airplane seat.......

Gunther, Evan needs more turntables before he needs more passive speakers.......Stick out tongue

hemenex
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 569
Founder
hemenex replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 6:31 PM

Rich:
Gunther, Evan needs more turntables before he needs more passive speakers.......Stick out tongue

Just bought a BG5000 yesterday - but too late to hand that one over Wink

And without speakers that would be a silent joy - the cartridge's pure mechanical sound unamplified is very low and poor Big Smile

Gunther

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 7:35 PM
richhaffner:

Want to see photograph of BM sitting in an airplane seat.......

Gunther, Evan needs more turntables before he needs more passive speakers.......

The story isn't over yet! Plenty more to show.

I need to fix the deck I have now before I get more... At any rate - the more 1202's, the better!

Beo4 'til I die!

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Fri, Aug 10 2012 7:49 PM

hemenex:

And Ed knows me by now already; give my regards to Sue...

Gunther

Indeed ... I showed Sue the picture and she said "oh that's Gunther !" Smile

Our regards to your Susannah

BeoNut since '75

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 4:15 AM

Alright everyone, good evening and welcome back!

This is me in the hotel room in Moerfelden-Walldorf just outside of Frankfurt. We rode the train to Fankfurt Flughafen and caught a taxi to the hotel. The taxi ride was exhilarating, we were travelling in excess of 160kmh on the autobahn! It was nice to get out of my box and show off a little bit Cool

Beo4 'til I die!

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 4:26 AM

After another lighting fast taxi ride, we arrived back at the Frankfurt Flughafen and departed for America. 

This is a terminal in Detroit. Here we would enjoy a 9 hour layover until our next flight to Columbus.

@Rich: Evan did not snap a pic of me in a seat on the plane, so unfortunately this seat in the terminal is as good as it gets.

Beo4 'til I die!

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 4:28 AM

And finally, Columbus Ohio!!!!

Here I am in my new home Big Smile The place is already full of familiar faces!

Beo4 'til I die!

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 4:35 AM

Now I am out of that worn out old box for good! 

Now its time to settle in and get ready for some restoration work. Evan has bought me a new power cord to adapt me to these different wall outlets. There are also new cable terminals, I will have my own set of wires!

Beo4 'til I die!

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 7:07 AM

Better start a new thread - "The Eagle has landed" ... or at this stage is it a fledgling ?

Anyway congratulations Evan, and welcome old fella to your new home Big Smile

BeoNut since '75

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
Posts 1,502
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 8:18 AM

Great souvenir to take home.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 4:14 PM

Evan:

This is a terminal in Detroit. Here we would enjoy a 9 hour layover until our next flight to Columbus.

@Rich: Evan did not snap a pic of me in a seat on the plane, so unfortunately this seat in the terminal is as good as it gets.

Been in that terminal dozens of times.

Glad to see you made it back to the States.  Is the Magic Envelope still inside?

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 6:24 PM

Rich:

Evan:

Been in that terminal dozens of times.

Glad to see you made it back to the States.  Is the Magic Envelope still inside?

I think that will be the third time for me.

I was just about to go open up the 4000 so I will report back. However, I believe Mr. Gunther provided copies of the schematics. To be honest, I would be happier with that because i won't be so nervous about conserving originals! 

Beo4 'til I die!

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 6:50 PM

hemenex:

Sorry to hear about your half-time pitstop trouble - Maybe the little honda didn't like the German beer Stick out tongue

Congrats to overall rank 46 anyway; better luck next year? Wink

Some info about all this Hockenheim FSG event you can find here.  Was the very first time I watched internet TV BTW. Embarrassed Just to find out that car30 was out there before I started watching inet and the electric cars...

The old thread isn't too much fun without all those pictures so for those who don't remember it will be a hard time following it.

Anyway, BM seemed to have arrived safely in the States. Wonder how the story will continue; And I'm looking for another cousin named BM1900 arriving soon. Nice one, too; have several of them. You'll have to find a lot of passive speakers now; And rooms to fill them in Wink

Yes the driver change at the endurance event was frustrating. Hot re-starts are very difficult for these cars. Especially with an almost undersized battery (easy place to save weight). You can visit our own website HERE for more info as well. We will be competing in Michigan next May for sure, if we are lucky Germany as well, if not we will be there for 2014.

Yes, he has arrived safe and sound. Time to get started on that new mains cord!

Beo4 'til I die!

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 6:51 PM

Søren Mexico:

Congrats Evan, thats really good news, and compliment to Gunther for such a nice gift, And pics Gunther Laughing

Thanks Søren I hope you like the thread, Gunther and I have planned this extensively!

Beo4 'til I die!

hemenex
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 569
Founder
hemenex replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 8:41 PM

Evan:
Time to get started on that new mains cord!

Don't forget to set it to 130 Wink That'll be safe for the beginning...

And yes, the Magic Envelope IS still inside;was part of the old thread - oh these missing pictures Sad

Martin (Dillen) sent me an original together with some other parts.

And the copies I made are still here Embarrassed

Gunther

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Evan:
Thanks Søren I hope you like the thread, Gunther and I have planned this extensively!

Good thread, and start the BM 4000 on 130V, as Gunther recommend, I run mine on 130 since the beginning, do the same with your BM 1900.

Now, what about turntables, you will have to complete the sets, maybe you should take a small talk with EugeneBig Smile

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member

Content of my Magic Envelope.  Looking forward to Evan's....

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 9:54 PM

First things first, bottom plate off! Time to change that funky cord.

After de-soldering the old cable from the switch, pull it out of the tube and replace with new. Here is the new one about to be installed. The new cable is slightly to large for the strain relief so I will replace that later.

For those of you reading and who are doing a similar conversion, you can skip this step and change the actual terminal plug. I prefer the molded plug look, so decided to replace the entire cord.

Beo4 'til I die!

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Sat, Aug 11 2012 10:03 PM

Gunther was telling the truth! Big Smile Original schematics! Thank you both - Gunther and Martin!!

All done with cord and playing some tunes now. Listening to the Koyannisqatsi sound track by Philip Glass through my original S45-2s.

Beo4 'til I die!

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 12:22 AM

I like this thread Yes - thumbs up

Always nice to see one of those old Beomasters end up in a good home,,,Smile

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Steffen:

I like this thread Yes - thumbs up

Always nice to see one of those old Beomasters end up in a good home,,,Smile

USA has one more vintage (not old) BM 4000, To make sure they don't get overcrowded up there, I bought this one, will be here this week.

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Tue, Aug 14 2012 1:21 AM

Søren Mexico:

USA has one more vintage (not old) BM 4000, To make sure they don't get overcrowded up there, I bought this one, will be here this week.

I'm sure they have more 4000's...Is that why you bought a 4400..? Stick out tongueWhistle

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Steffen:
I'm sure they have more 4000's...Is that why you bought a 4400..? Stick out tongueWhistle

Already have one of those also from up thereWhistle, I bought the 4400 on the bay by accident, bid cheap and got it. now I have to look for  a BG and speakers, the fabric selector is real happy, not a word for 3 weeks.Big Smile

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Sun, Aug 19 2012 3:09 PM

So in the last several days, I've been listening to this new 4000 quite extensively. 

As you may remember, Gunther spent a lot of time repairing this machine in the old thread. His work really shows through, Mr. 4000 here is 100% functional!

I've had it paired to my original S45-2s for the entire time and the system has sounded amazing. While performance has been exceptional I will be recapping this bad boy with a brand new set of electrolytics. Also, during extended playing, I have noticed that the transformer will buzz a lot, so I will working on that as well.

At any rate, so far so good!

Beo4 'til I die!

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 3:46 PM

Hi Evan,

The buzzing transformer in the BM 4000 seems to be a common occurrence. I don't know if it can be fixed very easy but I will be very interested if you do repair it.  I recapped/refurbished two of the BM 4000 receivers last year (on the old workbench thread) around the same time as Søren (Mexico). I had good success but I had four BM 4000 units to work from.  The four were non-working and I was able to use parts from them to produce two working (kind of) units. One of the units had the buzzing transformer.  I ended up swapping it with a transformer from one of the other units.  I saved the buzzing transformer in case it can be repaired.

sonavor 

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 3:55 PM

A few buzzing transformer repair ideas here http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46198

I was going to give it a try for my BM900K but am saving the project for my retirement!

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 4:29 PM

Very interesting.  Thanks for posting that link Guy.

sonavor

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 5:15 PM

Guy:

A few buzzing transformer repair ideas here http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46198

I was going to give it a try for my BM900K but am saving the project for my retirement!

Interesting ideas. The problem with BM4000 and its ilk is that the transformer is already epoxied - into a metal case with no space inside it, and very little space around it as well once it's in the Beomaster. It's practically inaccessible.

The heating thing sounds like it might just work, but I'd like to have a spare transformer box before I'd try it. In some Beomasters, the transformer is suspended in rubber grommets that can be replaced/renewed for good effect, but I think BM4000 has been built for best possible transmission of vibrations from the transformer to the table.

--mika

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Wed, Aug 22 2012 7:30 PM
tournedos:

Interesting ideas. The problem with BM4000 and its ilk is that the transformer is already epoxied - into a metal case with no space inside it, and very little space around it as well once it's in the Beomaster. It's practically inaccessible.

The heating thing sounds like it might just work, but I'd like to have a spare transformer box before I'd try it. In some Beomasters, the transformer is suspended in rubber grommets that can be replaced/renewed for good effect, but I think BM4000 has been built for best possible transmission of vibrations from the transformer to the table.

--mika

I'm very happy to hear the BM4000's lunchbox is already packed with goo. I don't think I have the heart to pour varnish all over my transformer!

Beo4 'til I die!

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

As I'm fooling around with my BM 4400 and want to change the rectifier, fastened stupidly at the side of the transformer, I took out the transformer and opened it. Here it is with the rectifier desoldered. The BM 4000 must be about the same

Here open, filled with some plastic, I checked if it was loose in the box, but seams OK, I think if it is loose adding some epoxy on the 4 sides will do it.

Here the back end rubber bushing, if hard or damaged it has to be renewed, to do this you will have to take out the transformer. Obs there are 2 holes but only one bushing, I checked the spare part list, shows only one. This is sitting directly over the connections for speaker and other, to avoid humming going to the connectors.

Here the front side, its attached directly to the front frame with 2 screws, this means that there must be good rubber feet on the BM, if not, the vibrations will go to the surface and make the humming louder. There are 4 more screws connected to the side frame

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 6:10 AM

Yes Søren,

It is the same.  I have a bad rectifier (same as you show in your picture) from one of my spare parts Beomaster 4000 units.  I needed the transformer from that unit earlier in the year but thought the transformer was dead.  It turned out to just be that ITT B80 C5000/3000 rectifier.

-sonavor

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 9:44 AM

Hi,

Those bridge rectifiers are fragile. I also had a bad one (one diode was shorted) in my Beocenter 3500. Unfortunately, the transformer still hums after replacement.  Today a 10 amp rectifier will be far more robust and take half as much space!

Jacques

Page 1 of 1 (40 items) | RSS