Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Moment User? Twonky Server has been removed from QNAP OS v4.3.x

rated by 0 users
This post has 68 Replies | 3 Followers

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Sun, Jan 8 2017 3:22 PM

I am very curious to know if one of the apps C5 or 8player can direct the music from the QNAP media server to a Beosound?

they can be used as alternatives to Beomusic.

Could one do the test?

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sun, Jan 8 2017 3:56 PM

kimhav:
Which Twonky container image did you make use of and you didn't have any problem for Moment to locate the Twonky Server?

Kimhav: I used "wieweet/twonkyserver" Build of dlaventu/twonkyserver for Twonkyserver 8.3 (first one in the list while searching for Twonky in the directory)

I set the Network to Bridge and used a static IP address.

The Moment sees it in the list of available DLNA servers.

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Do you mean like this - only using the 'QNAP media server' as a server?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sun, Jan 8 2017 4:33 PM

I tried with 8Player lite and (1) the QNAP DLNA Server source can be played on the iPhone (2) Only the BS Moment appears in the list of possible players, not the A6 (3) When the Moment is selected, the processing wheel keeps turning, the application is stuck, no sound out of the Moment.

Fyi: I can stream from the Twonky server UI to the BS Moment without issue

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Malmo, Sweden
Posts 314
Bronze Member
kimhav replied on Sun, Jan 8 2017 5:17 PM

mbolo01:
I used "wieweet/twonkyserver" Build of dlaventu/twonkyserver for Twonkyserver 8.3 (first one in the list while searching for Twonky in the directory) I set the Network to Bridge and used a static IP address.

Okay, same container image (dlaventu/twonkyserver) as I used then but what made the difference to get the Moment to find the twonky server was to make use of Bridge Mode for the network. The Moment here on my side is currently scanning the content and the twonky container is still flatlining the CPU meter - So extremely low overhead overall on the QNAP TS-853A (Intel Celeron N3150@1.60GHz / 16GB Memory) unit which I'm running with.

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Sun, Jan 8 2017 5:18 PM

Short update:

QNAP TS 451+ using QTS 4.2.2. Have an A6 and an Essence which I use via the BeoMusic app.

MinimServer installed and run: BeoMusic app can't see it under A6 and Essence.

Successfully installed Twonky in a container as instructed including a symlink to my Music folder. The settings show that Twonky has indexed the files and all is good. BeoMusic can't see it under both of my products. (is ContainerStation sandboxed in any way that it runs on it's own network stack? If so, how to I make it accessible outside of it's container?)

Restarted my NAS AND checked all my settings and the only servers that show in my products list is Plex and Twonky run from the main QTS screen (not The container). QNAP DLNA still doesn't show.

Ugh.

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sun, Jan 8 2017 5:31 PM

Sal:
BeoMusic can't see it under both of my products.

Sal: did you set the Network in Bridge mode when creating your Container?

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Sun, Jan 8 2017 5:58 PM

So the first time, I didn't. I deleted everything and started over the second time I did, and now beoMusic can see the newly created Twonky Server in the source list, but I have nothing shared. Unfortunately, the URL for the Twonky Settings page which showed in Container Settings the first time I set it up is blank, so there's no way for me to get to the Twonky settings to set up the shared folder. I can't seem to find a way to access TwonkyServer's maintenance / settings web URL GUI.

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sun, Jan 8 2017 6:15 PM

Sal:
I can't seem to find a way to access TwonkyServer's maintenance / settings web URL GUI.

If you chose DHCP in the network settings and if you have a mean to identify which IP was provided to the Container, then you can connect to the Twonky server using http://IP address:9000

I recommend you set a fixed IP address out of your DHCP range, which means rebuild a Container again .....

You are almost there Sal!!!

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Sun, Jan 8 2017 6:27 PM

mbolo01:
I recommend you set a fixed IP address out of your DHCP range

I think I need a tutorial on which static IP addresses to use. My QNAP has one which I know. The dialog box shows 4 places to enter different IP addresses. I can find out the IP addresses or the other devices on my network as well. Do I just pick one that isn't used? What is the range?

kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Malmo, Sweden
Posts 314
Bronze Member
kimhav replied on Sun, Jan 8 2017 6:49 PM

Sal:
I think I need a tutorial on which static IP addresses to use. My QNAP has one which I know. The dialog box shows 4 places to enter different IP addresses. I can find out the IP addresses or the other devices on my network as well. Do I just pick one that isn't used? What is the range?

If You're unsure which IP being used on your internal network you could use an IP scanner to check what you have internally of devices and what IP addresses is being used. This often gives you an indicates of where the DHCP range start as the dhcp based clients usually are within a pre-defined range and looks like they're in a cluster.

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Sun, Jan 8 2017 7:00 PM
mbolo01:

I tried with 8Player lite and (1) the QNAP DLNA Server source can be played on the iPhone (2) Only the BS Moment appears in the list of possible players, not the A6 (3) When the Moment is selected, the processing wheel keeps turning, the application is stuck, no sound out of the Moment.

Fyi: I can stream from the Twonky server UI to the BS Moment without issue

the 8player does have the same behavior as BeoMusic. So it is not a BeoMusic issue!

BeoMusic does work with several other DLNA servers as controller between the server and the players Bs35, A6, etc. But not with the QNAP media server

2 options:

different incompatible DLNA standard versions

or QNAP issue

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Sun, Jan 8 2017 7:03 PM
kimhav:

Same here, the QNAP sees the Beosound Moment but not the other way around; did try to make use of both the standard port 8200 which QNAP makes use of for it's media server and as well port 9000 if the Moment excepts to see a Twonky server which didn't make any difference.

Twonky works through port 9000

But to control Twonky with a controller like 8 player port 9100 is used
kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Malmo, Sweden
Posts 314
Bronze Member
kimhav replied on Sun, Jan 8 2017 7:47 PM

Sal:
The dialog box shows 4 places to enter different IP addresses. I can find out the IP addresses or the other devices on my network as well.

Hmm seems that some of responses has to be moderated and guess it's due to external links in them. So here is another response which was supposed to be included in the first one. But, here is how it could look like if you fill in the IP in the Container Network configuration and based on that you for example used the Advanced IP Scanner to figure out an "free" IP:

kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Malmo, Sweden
Posts 314
Bronze Member
kimhav replied on Sun, Jan 8 2017 7:54 PM

Carolpa:
Twonky works through port 9000

But to control Twonky with a controller like 8 player port 9100 is used

Yeah, aware about that Twonky uses port 9000 but if we're trying to get QNAP own media server to run and it's runs on port 8200 I would assume that the Moment wouldn't find it as it might only look for port 9000, or? In that case the QNAP MS would have to be changed from port 8200 to 9000.

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sun, Jan 8 2017 9:12 PM

kimhav:
the Moment wouldn't find it as it might only look for port 9000

9000 is not a default port for DLNA Services but for Twonky server management, the DLNA servers are advertising their service through SSDP and DLNA Players are then building a directory of available DLNA servers.

I'm not sure about what makes the QNAP DLNA Server invisible to some B&O devices, but there is definitively an issue between these two brands.

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Sun, Jan 8 2017 11:21 PM

Thanks to mbolo01's help, I've got everything sorted -- except for, of course, the reason why QNAP's own DLNA doesn't show on BeoMusic. That being said, since I'm still running QTS 4.2.2, Twonky from the App Center works, and if I choose, for some inexplicable reason, to their next OS, I have set up, and know how to set up a Twonky Server within Container Center.

Once again! This community of users is great!

Vintage_B&O
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 303
Bronze Member

Okay, same container image (dlaventu/twonkyserver) as I used then but what made the difference to get the Moment to find the twonky server was to make use of Bridge Mode for the network. 

How Do you switch it to BRIDGE MODE?

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Wed, Jan 18 2017 6:34 PM

MircoHH:
How Do you switch it to BRIDGE MODE?

At creation time only, look at the setup screen upper in this thread.

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Wed, Feb 8 2017 12:54 PM
UPDATE: the Container setup introduced an issue impacting my Moment.

I'm curious to know if other QNAP users having a Twonky server running in a Docker Container do have the issue too:

After a QNAP restart, followed by a Moment restart, the Moment displays a DLNA server unavailable error message. (I can provide more details if needed) To temporarily recover, the Twonky server has to be selected again in the DLNA source, but it triggers a full scan and is valid until the next restarts.

To get rid of the issue completely, remove the Container station app, restart the QNAP, install the Twonky QNAP package found on the Twonky download site (not the EOM package found in App Center)

You'll need an activation key, same than the one use for the Docker Twonky server

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Wed, Feb 8 2017 3:57 PM

Thanks to your help I got Twonky using ContainerStation running, but I went back to the original Twonky, and haven't updated the OS for my QNAP... yet. So I haven't run into the issue you've mentioned. I'm sure once I do update the SW I'll run into it, but I don't have the Moment, I've got an Essence - curious how the issue you've found will manifest.

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Wed, Feb 8 2017 7:47 PM
Sal - when you update, don't go for the Container station but for the App, installation is simpler.

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Wed, Feb 8 2017 9:50 PM

mbolo01:
restart the QNAP, install the Twonky QNAP package found on the Twonky download site (not the EOM package found in App Center)

Where did you find the Twonky QNAP package? I found only Windows Mac Linux on the Twonky downloads site (http://twonky.com/downloads/), is the Linux the package you're referring to?

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Wed, Feb 8 2017 10:03 PM

8.4 is freshly out here: http://twonkyforum.com/downloads/8.4/

I just installed Qnap x86 package, works as expected but has a new licensing process.

If you don't have a license yet, and if you don't want to create an account on their site, you can download 8.3 at http://twonkyforum.com/downloads/8.3/, free trail for 30 days

kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Malmo, Sweden
Posts 314
Bronze Member
kimhav replied on Tue, Feb 14 2017 10:32 AM

mbolo01:
After a QNAP restart, followed by a Moment restart, the Moment displays a DLNA server unavailable error message. (I can provide more details if needed) To temporarily recover, the Twonky server has to be selected again in the DLNA source, but it triggers a full scan and is valid until the next restarts.

Just tested on my side and I don't have that behaviour and I've restarted the QNAP previously and as well stopped and restarted the ContainerStation and single containers as well. And checking the Moment it stills lists the Twonky Server and plays local music. When I've been fiddling around with twonky I've always ensured that the specific units which is depended of the twonky has been shut down. So guess that you might generate an issue if you reboot or starts twonky, container or the NAS while playing or even when idle.

kimhav
Top 500 Contributor
Malmo, Sweden
Posts 314
Bronze Member
kimhav replied on Tue, Feb 14 2017 10:49 AM

mbolo01:
8.4 is freshly out here: http://twonkyforum.com/downloads/8.4/

I just installed Qnap x86 package, works as expected but has a new licensing process.

Missed this one that they've made a qnap specific package available which simplyfies the handling a lot when it comes to updates. So thanks for the update! Also see that there are a lot of things fixed in this release.

Also, noticed that you need to, among other, install QNAP HD Station and HD Player including that the installer pre-selects a huge of amount of application I don't want to install which can be delsected. Feels that the overall overhead going with the Twonky 8.4 downloads might bring more issues compared making use of the Container solution. What you're take on this?

Finally, Any issues so far noted using the Moment and what SW version are you using currently on your Moment, still the standard stock firmware or the beta?

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Tue, Feb 14 2017 12:32 PM
kimhav:

Just tested on my side and I don't have that behaviour and I've restarted the QNAP previously and as well stopped and restarted the ContainerStation

To trigger the issue you also need to restart the Moment.

I was able to capture more info on the issue and I have an incident opened with QNAP as the issue is also impacting QNAP media server, Twonky app and Twonky in a container.

Basically what happens on mine is the following:

When I installed the Container Station and the Twonky Docker, two virtual switches were created. The media servers are listening the three interface, one physical and two virtual if not restricted to do so.

What I was able to observe is that the network advertising of the DLNA services messed up the physical and the virtual MAC address in the UDN UUID, e.g the UDN UUID of the physical interface, the one used by the Moment to recognize the selected DLNA server, had the MAC address of one of the virtual interface. My guess is that at each QNAP restart a new virtual MAC address is generated, this changing the physical UDN UUID value which let the Moment think that the previously selected DLNA source is no longer available .... pfew

To confirm my guess, the available DLNA server list on the Moment had twice my Twonky server name listed, grey background the currently selected and white background the new one, same friendlyName but different UDN UUID which is what the Moment relies on (same behavior with other DLNA servers running on the NAS as specified earlier)

With the Twonky QPKG running like a charm, I removed the Container Station app which solved my issue

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Tue, Feb 14 2017 1:01 PM
kimhav:

What you're take on this?

Finally, Any issues so far noted using the Moment and what SW version are you using currently on your Moment, still the standard stock firmware or the beta?

I don't think Twonky QPKG impacts a lot the overall setup, and when wrapped in a Container, it surely impacts more due to the virtualization layers you are adding to the setup.

My Moment is running the beta and no issue so far that could be linked to the new. Twonky version.

The issue I have independently of the version is that when you stream from the Twonky, it enriches the "recently played" playlist which triggers a DLNA content change and a Moment rescan .... which means that rescan always happen as you stream DLNA content.

B&O may find a way to circumvent the issue, but it would be good to have an INI option in Twonky to disable default playlists, I'll submit a request

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Tue, Feb 14 2017 2:39 PM

For those of you running Twonky pointed to an iTUnes library, are you seeing your static iTunes playlists on the Moment or Essence MkII? I'm running an Essence MKII and I can't see any of my iTunes Static playlists. I used to be able to, and now, nothing. I don't know when this change / altered behavior began. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS