Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BM 4400 Mexico

rated by 0 users
This post has 632 Replies | 2 Followers

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Back to work, still waiting for spares, so I went on to the transformer as I want to change the main bridge rectifier,  fastened stupidly at the side of the transformer, I took out the transformer and opened it. Here it is with the rectifier desoldered. The BM 4000 must be about the same

Here open, filled with some plastic, I checked if it was loose in the box, but seams OK, I think if it is loose adding some epoxy on the 4 sides will do it.

Here the back end rubber bushing, if hard or damaged it has to be renewed, to do this you will have to take out the transformer. Obs there are 2 holes but only one bushing, I checked the spare part list, shows only one. This is sitting directly over the connections for speaker and other, to avoid humming going to the connectors.

Here the front side, its attached directly to the front frame with 2 screws, this means that there must be good rubber feet on the BM, if not, the vibrations will go to the surface and make the humming louder. There are 4 more screws connected to the side frame

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Then unto the Fm preset cover (was missing, and I knew it). Someone in the old forum made one from a cassette cover, I intend to do the same.

Here the cover, with the to use part taped of to avoid scratches, in the vise, ready to be cut with a small hacksaw.

As you see the cover has rounded edges, the original has 90 degrees square edges, lets see how it looks when finished, I didn't find one with square edges, yes I did, but that is my B&O tape covers, and I'm not going to use one of these, they are also kind of smoke colored and the original is totally clear

Here cut to size and filed down to fit exactly, with the raw holding taps glued on, will leave to dry until tomorrow.

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Victoria, British Columbia Canada
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 4:59 AM

Hello Søren,

You must be getting tired of hearing how impressed I am with your work, but risking this yet again….. I am SO impressed! Lets have a Party !!!

How on Earth did you learn to do all this intricate electronic work? Whatever your answer, you have a remarkable talent!

Jeff

Beogram 4000, Beogram 4002, Beogram 4004, Beogram 8000, Beogram 8002, Beogram 1602. Beogram 4500 CD player, B&O CDX player, Beocord 4500, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 8004, Beocord 9000, Beomaster 1000, Beomaster 1600, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 4400, Beomaster 4500, Beolab 5000, Beomaster 5000, BeoCenter 9000. BeoSound Century,  S-45.2, S-45.2, S-75, S-75, M-75, M-100, MC 120.2 speakers; B&O Illuminated Sign (with crown & red logo). B&O grey & black Illuminated Sign, B&O black Plexiglas dealer sign, B&O ash tray, B&O (Orrefors) dealer award vase,  B&O Beotime Clock. Navy blue B&O baseball cap, B&O T-shirt X2, B&O black ball point pen, B&O Retail Management Binder

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Jeff, thank you for the compliments, but until now I have only done mechanical work on this unit, taking things apart and put them together again is what I do for a living. Electronically I'm no good, but is starting, thanks to the forum, to get the hang of it, following a drawing and finding failures in a circuit is not easy for an amateur like me. When my spares arrive the fun begins.Big Smile

Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
Posts 1,249
Bronze Member

Soren,

Just great!

Don't take my silence as non-interest. It's just that all the other members are doing such a great job of complimenting you, that anything from me would be completely superfluous.

You can come and work with me anytime! And I am very choosy who I allow into my workshop!

Menahem

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 6:04 PM

Hi Søren,

To do the electrical work you will need a tester. (I’m rather sure you know this already.) I purchased a Fluke Multi-meter and have been very pleased with it.

With focus and determination I have ZERO doubt that you can do this and do it exceedingly well.

Jeff

Beogram 4000, Beogram 4002, Beogram 4004, Beogram 8000, Beogram 8002, Beogram 1602. Beogram 4500 CD player, B&O CDX player, Beocord 4500, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 8004, Beocord 9000, Beomaster 1000, Beomaster 1600, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 4400, Beomaster 4500, Beolab 5000, Beomaster 5000, BeoCenter 9000. BeoSound Century,  S-45.2, S-45.2, S-75, S-75, M-75, M-100, MC 120.2 speakers; B&O Illuminated Sign (with crown & red logo). B&O grey & black Illuminated Sign, B&O black Plexiglas dealer sign, B&O ash tray, B&O (Orrefors) dealer award vase,  B&O Beotime Clock. Navy blue B&O baseball cap, B&O T-shirt X2, B&O black ball point pen, B&O Retail Management Binder

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

The FM preset cover finished

Here in place

One more

And from a distance, Done

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Piaf:
To do the electrical work you will need a tester.

I have some instruments Big Smile the left one does the same as a 400 USD Fluke and cost here in Mex. 85 USD, I find Fluke way overpriced, My vernier is there for sentimental reasons, because its 35 years old and I love it. I have some more but this one has been in nearly as many countries as I have.

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Wed, Sep 12 2012 3:07 AM

Hi Søren,

I bow to your expertise vis-à-vis the tester….. although still I like my Fluke. Yes - thumbs up

The cover you made for the FM-presets is amazing, absolutely amazing. The difference between yours and the OEM is minuscule.

Jeff

BeoHut
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 482
Bronze Member
BeoHut replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 9:52 PM
Hi,

Yesterday I picked up a BM4400 in nearly mint condition for just €50,00 in The Netherlands. It was just a few hours on Marktplaats and I did a bid. The seller reacted very fast and I drove to him that same afternoon (almost 2 hours driving). It was worth to pick it up. I'm very happy with this purchase.

The seller told and showed me that the BM has to be put on by sometimes pressing the on/off switch 2 or 3 times. I realized that there was something wrong with a contact, fuse or with the powersupply. This could be solved with all those Beoworlders here, that's what I was thinking.

At home I cleaned the BM from the outside and plugged it in.

What a sound! Very warm and detailed. Never before I had heared such a sound. I've listened to it the whole evening, even with vinyl. I'm in love with this piece of art.

But, . . . There is still the problem of the powerswitching. I think it needs a full recap etc. The lights are working fine. Even when switching from source, the BM sometimes switches completely off. On the bottom I saw some lightflashing and there was a little smell . . . But still working.

Is the above problem to fix? Who can recommend a technician? Any help would be appreciated.

With greeting!

Beofan53
Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 2:12 AM

Hi Søren,

So did you ever get the chance to listen to an Il Divo CD? If so, what did you think? Be honest, as we all have different taste.

Jeff

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 2:49 AM

Hi Beofan53,

I am beyond happy for you as your experience very much justifies all the talk about the iconic Beomaster 4400.

I had the opportunity to purchase a very nice Beomaster 4400 from a fellow BeoWorld member, but felt obligated to buy another as I had already agreed to do so. Live and learn.

Jeff

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Piaf:

Hi Søren,

So did you ever get the chance to listen to an Il Divo CD? If so, what did you think? Be honest, as we all have different taste.

Jeff

Sorry Jeff, didn't have a chance to go and buy it, listened only to 30 second per song you get on Amazon, but I will get it and I will be honestBig Smile

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Beofan53:
Is the above problem to fix? Who can recommend a technician? Any help would be appreciated.

There are some good techs in Netherlands, Leslie will comment, my 4400 was not as good as yours, I didn't dare to connect it before repair.

I have an BM 4000 and it turned out good, but had to do the caps, as I will be doing on my 4400, all of these BMs are prone to that.

your problem with your on of switch is probably just that, the switch, I will come back with more when I get there, or maybe someone else on the forum has some advice now.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Got my spares from Mouser today, caps, presets and bridge rectifiers, I will do all these, and then as I have a hot iron, desolder output Darlingtons and check them, before testing under power.

Its going to be a very nice weekend.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 5:41 PM

Søren Mexico:

Got my spares from Mouser today, caps, presets and bridge rectifiers, I will do all these, and then as I have a hot iron, desolder output Darlingtons and check them, before testing under power.

Its going to be a very nice weekend.

Good luck.  My "very nice weekend" will involve much music.  I've been traveling this week and miss my LPs!

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

I love it when the new parts arrive, here the new bridge rectifier, a lot smaller than the original

Here the transformer in place with an 4 Mm. aluminum plate inserted between transformer and rectifier to compensate for the smaller size

Big caps inn

PCB 2 and 3 with new caps and trimmers, except 1 trimmer 1 Mohm missed when ordering, I like these Piher trimmers. sorry for the small photo, but I'm having problems with Photobucket, now trying with Picasa

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Just had to go on, look at those presets, all of them set to "0"ohms, someone liked a lot of distorted sound or a "like to be technician" was at work.

Old ones out

New ones, beauties.

In place

Finished the wires on the big caps

Today's waste

And the big veiw

Still missing 1 cap and 2 presets, will go and buy tomorrow, Fiesta Mexicana

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 9:12 AM

Great job!

Something that worries me... How are you going to set the tuner trimmers Søren?

Jacques

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

chartz:

Great job!

I measured the old ones and set the new ones to the same, hope it works, if not I will have to buy some new instruments and learn how to use themBig Smile

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 12:28 PM
Looking great so far.

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 1:19 PM

Søren Mexico:

chartz:

Great job!

I measured the old ones and set the new ones to the same, hope it works, if not I will have to buy some new instruments and learn how to use themBig Smile

I tend to leave tuner front ends and IF stages alone. There's very rarely anything wrong with them - until you go and touch something!

Those "all-left" trimmers seem to be the level setting trimmers on the input board, so there's not a correct setting for any of them. Turning them all to zero is just as good a starting point as anything else, although I would put them in the middle - but the thoughts of the infamous "previous owner" are always a mystery Big Smile

--mika

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 5:54 PM

Hi Søren,

Remarkable work, superb, and impressive!  One for sure my friend, you were MUCH too modest vis-à-vis your knowledge of electronics. Yes - thumbs up

Jeff

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

tournedos:
Those "all-left" trimmers seem to be the level setting trimmers on the input board, so there's not a correct setting for any of them. Turning them all to zero is just as good a starting point as anything else, although I would put them in the middle - but the thoughts of the infamous "previous owner" are always a mystery Big Smile

I did put them in the middle, as for the other ones, I put them where they were, but some of them was at the extremes, so I wonder what happens when I power on.

This unit was so full of dirt,dust and very fine sand corns that I decided to change all the trimmers, but I wonder I wonder.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sun, Sep 16 2012 7:02 PM

This is what my properly set trimmers look like (click - twice in Safari - to enlarge).

Note that I left the reservoir caps well alone. Embarrassed

Jacques

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

chartz:

This is what my properly set trimmers look like (click - twice in Safari - to enlarge).

Note that I left the reservoir caps well alone. Embarrassed

Thank you Jacques, that gives me a little more hope, my trimmers are nearly set to the same positions, as for the big caps, I changed them, but they actually showed good checking with the ESR meter, 0.02 ohms.

BeoHut
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 482
Bronze Member
BeoHut replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 7:09 AM
Hi,

Thanks all for the advice of a technician in The Netherlands for my BM4400. I will contact some of them soon. It would be great to use it with vinyl. I just love the amazing sound! At the moment I don't switch it on too often, because I don't want to damage my BM even more.

Søren, what a great job did you do. I hope for you, when you get your latest capacitors, trimmers etc, that you can enjoy your beloved BM4400.

With open mouth I've followed your repair of the BM. The photo's give a very good impression what you are doing and how it should be done. What a lot of work, but it's worth!

I'm still following this thread!

With greetings!
Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 7:58 AM

Just as a matter of interest, I have noticed that the main board on my 4401 has no markings on it - the boards pictured above all seem to have the component reference and a track line. Has anyone else an unmarked board and, if so, is it an early model. The tuner and decoder boards have markings, though these do vary from some of the ones pictured but these boards were common to the 1500 and 2200 as well.

For those interested, Tim has written a piece on the Beomaster 6000 quad which should be appearing in Hi-Fi News fairly soon and also has submitted one on the Beomaster 5000 tuner. A friend of his has just got his hands on an ex BBC BM5000 which until recently was used to monitor broadcast signals.

Peter

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 9:02 AM

The Beomaster 5000 tuner was in the Hi-Fi World favourites for some time... before inexplicably disappearing one day!

I regret Tim's decision to leave the HFW team... Hifi News has never been my cup of tea.

Søren, I see that your preamp board has RCA sockets! I thought that no 4400 had them! 

Jacques

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 3:22 PM

The 4400 has both DIN and RCA sockets, which when you think about it, is a reall good idea!Yes - thumbs upYes - thumbs up

Jeff

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 3:35 PM

Not in Europe! Only DIN. The Beomaster 3000 had both.

Peter

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 3:49 PM

The Beomaster 4000 and 4400 units have RCA inputs for Phono, Tape 1 In and Tape 1 Out (along with DIN plugs for those).  Tape 2 has just the DIN plug.

...Guess that is just in North America (or maybe outside of Europe) though.

-sonavor

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 4:04 PM

sonavor:

The Beomaster 4000 and 4400 units have RCA inputs for Phono, Tape 1 In and Tape 1 Out (along with DIN plugs for those).  Tape 2 has just the DIN plug.

...Guess that is just in North America (or maybe outside of Europe) though.

-sonavor

That describes my BM4000.

What I have wondered is whether you can use both the inputs.  For example, have an RX 2 hooked up to the Phone RCA jacks, and a BG4002 hooked up to the DIN jack.  Would both work?  In practice I'd only use one of the tables at a time, like use the RX 2 for used records of unknown condition and the BG4002 for pristine records.

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 4:29 PM

Yes you can - the BM5500 has twin inputs which are jolly useful!

Peter

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 4:36 PM

Rich:
What I have wondered is whether you can use both the inputs.  For example, have an RX 2 hooked up to the Phone RCA jacks, and a BG4002 hooked up to the DIN jack.  Would both work?  In practice I'd only use one of the tables at a time, like use the RX 2 for used records of unknown condition and the BG4002 for pristine records.

The inputs are simply connected together in parallel, and that creates two problems:

1. The non-amplified phono signal from the cartridge to preamp is very sensitive to noise, proper input impedance at the amp end, etc. The "extra" cabling to the other turntable would load the other, pick up interference, and probably result in very poor sound.
  2. In Beograms, the muting switch actually short circuits the signal wires to ground. Therefore, while the other Beogram is stopped, it will mute the other one as well. Which is good, because otherwise the signal from the playing Beogram would be moving the stylus of the other Beogram Big Smile 

As I recall my (European) BM4000 has the PCB placements, all traces etc for the RCA connectors, but the connectors and cutouts for them are missing from the rear panel.

--mika

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 4:46 PM

tournedos:

Rich:

The inputs are simply connected together in parallel, and that creates two problems:

1. The non-amplified phono signal from the cartridge to preamp is very sensitive to noise, proper input impedance at the amp end, etc. The "extra" cabling to the other turntable would load the other, pick up interference, and probably result in very poor sound.
  2. In Beograms, the muting switch actually short circuits the signal wires to ground. Therefore, while the other Beogram is stopped, it will mute the other one as well. Which is good, because otherwise the signal from the playing Beogram would be moving the stylus of the other Beogram Big Smile 

As I recall my (European) BM4000 has the PCB placements, all traces etc for the RCA connectors, but the connectors and cutouts for them are missing from the rear panel.

Well, then, I guess leave the Phono input well enough alone.  But Tape 1 could have CD X on the RCA jacks and an iPod dock on the DIN?

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 4:49 PM

Rich:
But Tape 1 could have CD X on the RCA jacks and an iPod dock on the DIN?

That should work fine. The only downside might be slighly lower volume, depending on how the dock output is implemented internally.

--mika

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 5:13 PM

tournedos:

Yes, that's correct. So no European ones had them!

Jacques

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 5:26 PM

Sorry Peter,

I didn't realize that B&O altered their products to better suit the market that early in the game. Well we all learned something. Smile

Jeff

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

I can confirm the RCA connectors on My BM 4400 as well as on my BM 4000, both US models.

The main PCB on the the 4000 has no traces printed on the component side, and on the solder side no component codes printed.

The BM 4400 has traces on the component side and codes on the solder side.

Page 3 of 16 (633 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS