Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BEO S35 Speakers

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Beoquery
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Beoquery Posted: Tue, Aug 28 2012 1:28 PM

I have seen some Beovox S35 speakers and wondered ihow much interest there may be.  I won't list specs as that is easily obtainable.  They look genuine and in excellent condition.  I think they are rosewood or similar.

As they are in such great condition, it seems a little churlish to let them 'go to waste'.

If a get some interest I can obtain them, get back to interested parties and provide further details.

Cheers.

Beoquery

Søren Hammer
Top 100 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 953
Bronze Member

Beovox S-35 is a fine bookshelf speaker for smaller amplifiers. I have driven my pair of S-35's with the 40 Watt per channel Beocenter 7002 and the 25 Watt per channel Beomaster 3400 without any problems. They are rugged and has a good bass response for it's size. The tweeter is a dome-type - much better than the cone-type in the S-30.

Vinyl records, cassettes, open reel, valve amplifiers and film photography.

Beoquery
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Beoquery replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 2:27 PM

Thank you Soren Hammer (apologies for the name spelling as i don't know how to insert the special 'o').

I appreciate this information.  I was actually looking for some more up to date main speakers for my newly aquired amplifier (alas not B&O). Unfortunately it seems i would be unable to use them as they are 6OMH and i need 8OHM to match existing speakers.

My intention was a little unclear - i wanted to to see if there would be any purchase interest from this forum's users as they seemed a good piece of kit.

Quote - Remember , you can't be optimistic with a misty optic!

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 3:25 PM

I agree, Beovox S35 is one of the best performing two-way speakers around.
Don't pay too much attention to the impedance. Go ahead and try them, compare to modern
speakers if you like and you will be surprised.

Beovox S30 exists in two versions, both have dome tweeters.

Martin

Beoquery
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Beoquery Confused [*-)] replied on Wed, Aug 29 2012 2:53 PM

Dillen/All

Thank you for your replies.

I picked the S35s up this morning before work and only noticed when i got them home that they are rated at 4OHM and 35Watt (50 Watt).  I am assuming the 35 is normal and 50 peak.

My original post quoted 6OHM which was incorrect (looked at numerous speakers that morning and must have mixed them up, sorry for the duff info).

I have a Yamaha RX667 amp rated at 90W per channel over 7 channels(?), it can be switched from 8 to 6 OHMS (the manual says it can drive 4 OHMs on the 6 setting).  Although i have been told the Amp splits the 90W between the channels, i get the impression form the manual that each channel may be 90w (to quote: ".....F/L 90W + 90W.......Dynamic Power [IHF] Front Spkrs 8/6/4/2 OHM 125/160/190/230W....")  

My existing speakers are 4 satellites and sub rated at 100 Watts/8 OHMs from a previous Sony seperate amp/seperate DVD/Speaker package.

I will be using the set up for mainly HT but also low-mid volume music.

I want to avoid changing the OHMs to 6 if possible, but my question is whether or not i can achieve a safe setup with the S35s as main speakers and running the Sony's as surround and back/presence speakers?

Cheers.

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Wed, Aug 29 2012 5:39 PM

As Martin says, don't get excited about the impedance - it is only an estimate as the impedance varies massively depending on the frequency of the signal. Your amplifier will have no problems driving them. I wouldn't even worry about the power  handling - as long as you don't turn it up to 10, you will be fine. Most music is about 1W!

Peter

Beoquery
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Beoquery replied on Fri, Aug 31 2012 12:49 PM

All

Thank you for your advice and useful comments. 

I tried them as main speakers (reset to large) in place of the satellite Sony fronts and they sound clear, very listenable and able to cope with the 8OMH signal without a massive decreae in volume.   The amp seems to cope with them but I will keep an eye out for excess heat and cutouts. 

There is a greater level of bass/midrange when combined with the subwoofer.

I had a Kylie concert recorded on Sky (in DD) that sounds more detailed through the S35s than the Sony sats.

I am pleased with the results, particularly as the S35s were an excessively cheap (one-of) buy. 

Thanks again.

B Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS