Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

2-pin DIN to RCA plugs for Beomaster 1900

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

tyrosinekinase
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
tyrosinekinase Posted: Thu, Aug 30 2012 11:38 PM

Hi all,

First post on BW after getting my 1900 and can I say that I'm excited to finally have it in my possession! I'm not an audio repair wiz but I've been toying around with the idea of building my own cables for my beomaster 1900. 

I'm trying to connect my beomaster 1900 to a set of powered speakers whose primary audio input is a 3.5mm audio jack. So essentially, I'm trying to create a cable that will have a 2-pin DIN on one end and a 3.5mm audio jack on the other end. Currently I have old speakers that have a 2-pin DIN plug, but they are not in very good condition these days.

The way I thought I would assemble this would be to put one 2-pin DIN on one end of speaker wire and put two RCA plugs on the other end of the speaker wire. After getting all of this in the mail today, I now realize that this configuration would not work since the plug setup does not allow it.

So I humbly submit my question for those better versed in audio wizardry:

If i'm trying to create a cable that connects a 2-pin DIN plug to a 3.5mm audio jack, will this configuration work and transmit audio from my 1900 to my speakers:

2-pin DIN ---> Speaker wire ---> RCA plug ---> RCA plug/3.5mm audio jack adapter ---> 3.5mm audio jack 

If I connect the positive and negative terminals of the 2-pin DIN to the RCA making sure the polarity/charge are correct will that transmit audio? 

Thank you so much for anyone who takes the time to read this let alone replies!

Brion

Søren Hammer
Top 100 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 953
Bronze Member

Hello and welcome to Beoworld,

You can't use the speaker output of a Beomaster 1900 to drive active speakers - that can and will go wrong with damage of the units as a result. The speaker output (2-pin DIN) are high-level as they were meant for passive speakers without an amplifier and your active speakers were meant for a standard line-level input (as the headphone output of an iPod, computer etc.)

The amplifier is in the Beomaster, delivering 25-30 watts per channel depending on the impedance.

You can use the tape output with a 5-pin DIN -> 4 RCA plug converter - two RCA plugs for left-right channels input and two for left-right channels output (sending a line level signal out of the Beomaster), or you can use the headphone jack with no problems.

I have used the headphone jack (and tape output) of my Beomaster 1900 to feed another amplifier with no issues, and they are the easiest methods of getting the audio signal to another amplifier.

Vinyl records, cassettes, open reel, valve amplifiers and film photography.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Soren Hammer is right, the speaker output is too much for active speakers

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

tyrosinekinase
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member

Thank you for your quick responses!

That makes sense, glad to know that it would've done some damage before, well, I did some damage. I guess I'll just have to stick with the headphone jack for now until I can get my hands on some passives. I could definitely use some reading into internal receiver amplifiers in the mean time.

Onto my next project: Figuring out how to restore the case on a Beomaster 4000!

Thanks again,

Brion

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

tyrosinekinase:
Onto my next project: Figuring out how to restore the case on a Beomaster 4000!

Here

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Fri, Aug 31 2012 7:38 AM

Søren Hammer:

You can use the tape output with a 5-pin DIN -> 4 RCA plug converter - two RCA plugs for left-right channels input and two for left-right channels output (sending a line level signal out of the Beomaster), or you can use the headphone jack with no problems.

Therefore, the din level out of the master isn't volume controlled and not suitable to feed an external amplifier.

Another easy solution is to decrease the audio level (speaker output from 1900) the same way is done with speakerlink inputs used by e.g. Penta's. It will not win the beauty contest, but it works.

tyrosinekinase
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member

I figure I might as well just toss this question in this thread as well, seeing as how my knowledge of audio cables is woeful at best. 

For my audio input I have a 5-pin DIN cable connected to a 3.5mm male stereo plug. Will using a stereo plug as opposed to a mono plug cause any damage?

I apologize if that is a simple question :D

P.s. thank you for the link to the bm 4400 resto thread, thats very helpful

Brion 

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Please tell us what you want to connect, input to what, from where

tyrosinekinase
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member

I'd be connecting an iMac headphone jack to either the phono or tape inputs on my BM 1900 with said 3.5mm male stereo plug --> 5-pin DIN. Whatever input isn't being used by my computer would then be occupied by either an ipod or the headphone jack connected to my TV. (Though for some reason I feel like when the BM 1900 was designed, using it connected to a tv wasn't exactly what they had in mind so perhaps that might not be a good idea...)

What is it about the audio source that determines whether or not it is safe? The amount of 'power' coming from the audio source through the cable? Or is it the kind of signal being sent from the audio source?  

Thanks again

Brion

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

You can use the tape input for TV and Ipod, I don't think the phono input can be used for that, so a solution would be a source selector where you connect 3 or 4 sources, connect that to the tape input and the TV and Ipod to the source selector

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS