Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoVision 10 clones...

rated by 0 users
This post has 30 Replies | 3 Followers

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit Posted: Sun, Sep 2 2012 1:19 PM

Just saw this from IFA 2012...

http://es.engadget.com/photos/loewe-reference-id-ifa-2012/5250521/

Price starting at 5500€ for 40" with 1To hard drive.

2012martin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 202
Gold Member

Definatley looks a lot like a bv10. Can't really decide if I like or not but I am like that with a lot of new things when they come out then they start to grow on me (the new golf i didn't like but do now, the v1 starting to grow on me it's just not big enough. Still don't like the white v1 though). 

It cant be a bad thing anyway especially price wise. Is it a smart tv?is it 3d? I like all thedifferent materials for the frets and I also like the idea of the wood. Hopefully will keep b and o on there toes and maybe even a price reduction in the new or current bv10!

2012martin
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 202
Gold Member

Just found this 

Other noteworthy options also include different TV mounts and speaker systems. Regardless of the user configuration, these panels feature both LED-backlighting and an ultra-fast 400Hz screen refresh rate to deliver better picture quality. This is matched by a powerful 160W audio subsystem with multichannel surround sound support. Here are the other key standard features:

• 1TB video recorder compatible with both 2D and 3D programs
  • Time-*** function
  • Triple digital tuners
  • Ethernet, Wi-Fi and Powerline networking
  • Compatible with Loewe Assist Media app for iOS devices

The Loewe Reference ID will be launched in 40- and 46-inch screen sizes which are due to be out by the year's end, while a 55-inch version is due later in 2013.

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Looks great, and if the same as the Connect ID 46 at £2300, I'm getting one. It's always been a mystery to me why it's taken another manufacturer so long to also include good cosmetics and sound. The V1, no contest!

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

kai
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 362
Bronze Member
kai replied on Sun, Sep 2 2012 5:48 PM
Does it not come with blu ray as well?!
markiedee
Top 200 Contributor
UK
Posts 425
Bronze Member

It also has 400hz processing . I have seen many pictures of this tv and the amount of colour options and finishes is incredible. You have too give credit where credits due the 1tb hard drive which is able to record 2d and 3d is seriously impressive.

Beoplay A2

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

Thanks for the post ... I think Unsure

I can see that those of us who are married to Fabric Selectors (Soren. Rich, myself, et al) are going to have a hard time mounting a defence against this

BeoNut since '75

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sun, Sep 2 2012 11:02 PM

2012martin:

Definatley looks a lot like a bv10.

It does indeed, but somewhat ironically my dealer reckons the forthcoming BV11 will be similar to the current Loewe Reference, with a much smaller speaker area (compared to the BV10), so it's much more easily placed on top of side table.

I was impressed with the Loewe range when I had a quick demo in Selfridges. Now we're lacking masterlink going forward, the "one remote does everything" will become less relevant for me, so perhaps a Loewe is a possibility when I decide to swap out the BV10.

markiedee
Top 200 Contributor
UK
Posts 425
Bronze Member
markiedee replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 12:05 AM

I will say that i have always admired b&0 and still do but having recently purchased the loewe connect id 46" i find it to be an amazing tv, picture and sound quality wise.

Beoplay A2

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Interesting time to buy a new tv, with 4k and now even 8k tv's from Panasonic who are in partnership with a news channel and then of course OLED waiting in the wings.

I wonder what the general let alone B&O market place will look like in even a few short years. I was playing with my mother in laws Avant today, and I hope we see such good tv's again that are more affordable like that set.

Any ideas as to the 11 price/spec etc?

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 12:44 AM

Hi Chris!

I'm hoping the BV11 will be around £4000 but hey, who knows. It's one area as I marketing guy that I really don't know demographics on. I really don't know who is buying TVs these days as none of my university crowd don't own a TV (myself included now) it's all laptops.  I'm thinking couples, families and senior citizens now in terms of marketing that's NOT good as these are the people with mortgages, family car debts, college fees etc.  Of course, BeoWorld is a million miles away from this as there are a lot of high earners on it but that doesn't of course count for the majority of television purchaser customers. It's certainly an industry that I would not want to enter in now.

I agree with you Chris, the Avant was certainly a master piece at the time! In fact, i'd probably be happy to have one of those in my apartment today if they were still available (I don't do second hand).

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
They are a great second hand buy, if not only for the cd/DVD speaker combo. Loewe seem to be on their coat tails with the Connect ID. Think the reference is very underpowered though compared to a 7-40 with a 7.4 speaker. If B&O had made a Connect ID with their specs I'd have 2 literally.

Wife dead against moving brands though! 6-26/8-40?????

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 7:27 AM

Chris Townsend:
Wife dead against moving brands though! 6-26/8-40?????

I have a 6-23 which I bought recently. Decent TV, good sound, but even second hand it was £1500.....for a old 23" TV. Funny, really.

Slightly nervous about the BV11. If they ditch the BV10 and replace with the BV11, based on history, it will mean our BV10's will take a hit as a trade-in. 

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member

I know it's the way of the world, but I've had that very thought. There is a local retailer trying to eBay a brand new 6-26 with hdmi inputs for £1750 or best offer and an 8-40 on Ebay for £1500!  Tempting until you consider what the Loewe offers for just a little more! The V1 is not even a consideration in my book as a second tv.

Maybe wait a few years to watch the 4k/8k/OLED fight. I think we will end up with mix of both depending on budgets, and how stable they are. VHS/Betamax anybody?

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 11:10 AM

I wouldn't consider paying extra for a 4K TV until there is sufficient content available to take adavantage of the higher resolution. Given that we're in still in a situation where a significant portion of broadcast TV is SD, I may be waiting a while.

Ban boring signatures!

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Let's face it, most of its crap and the stuff I want to watch us always available in HD anyway. BBC trailed the Olympics in 4k apparently, so I'd expect a typically slow uptake to then an avalanche of oh god we are behind the times.

Why people buy decent hd tv's to then watch SD is beyond me.

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 1:14 PM

Moxxey you guys are lucky with your trade ins!  When I was located in the North of the UK, I tried to sell my 18mth old BV6-22 and no dealers were interested. In the end I sold it privately with just ONE person interested. Sold for £900 (I wanted £1250).  Huge loss compared to the £3200 that i'd paid for it!

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Mon, Sep 3 2012 1:17 PM

Forgot to mention, that was with the electric stand plus the unit was in this most incredible mint condition. Used for around 30 minutes a day!

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member

Chris Townsend:
Why people buy decent hd tv's to then watch SD is beyond me.

For the features, or simply because they need a TV? Where can you buy a non-HD TV nowadays?

Yes, I know some folks spend a lot of effort finding a mobile phone without a camera...

--mika

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, Sep 4 2012 12:09 PM

Paul W:

Moxxey you guys are lucky with your trade ins!

Surely it's not a 'trade-in' if you try and simply sell your TV to the dealer? I would't try this and the dealer wouldn't be interested. Only LifeStyle or MoreThan will take second hand kit without a trade-in.

Trade-in's are, as they are described. A trade-in against the new TV. Normally you get a bit of a better deal (and, ironically, the dealer often sells the trade-in to Lifestyle or MoreThan!). If they don't think they can sell on the TV, they won't buy. To be fair, few people wanted those old 22"s after the 23" was released and there lots of them on the market.

gizze
Not Ranked
Posts 39
Bronze Member
gizze replied on Tue, Sep 4 2012 2:02 PM

I agree on the 4K thing, but I don't think I have watched and SD stuff on TV for a good couple of years now. Everything is HD.

I think the Loewe is a nice set, however the ones I have seen have all suffered from dirty screen effect, just like every other LED based display apart from the B&O sets. 

Pioneer will be staying a while longer for me. 

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, Sep 4 2012 11:41 PM

gizze:

I agree on the 4K thing, but I don't think I have watched and SD stuff on TV for a good couple of years now. Everything is HD.

With Sky, yes. With Freeview, there are still a lot of SD channels. Just to be clear though, most programmes are now *filmed* in HD, even though they end up showing the programme on an SD channel. Sadly the source is often HD, but the end product relegated to SD.

The issue with 4K is the bandwidth required to push the content to your TV. I read that the BBC were doing a test recently and commented that the bandwidth required simply to show one channel, would basically stop 4K ever being a widespread success in the UK. It might work across cable and, to a lesser degree, Sky, but you'd never in a million years have enough bandwidth on Freeview for 4K and, sadly, Freeview is still more popular than cable or Sky.

Have you seen the resolution required for 4K broadcasting? Surely we all know the processing power required to decode such as video stream, never mind the bandwidth to get it to us in the first place. Imagine trying to send 10 x 4K channels?

The UK simply isn't geared up for 4K broadcasting and it won't be here for a long while yet, if at all.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

moxxey:
Just to be clear though, most programmes are now *filmed* in HD

moxxey:
The issue with 4K is the bandwidth required to push the content to your TV

The RED One site (http://www.red.com/) has a list of who is filming in 4K these days - and there is a brief 4K "movie" you can download (1.7GB).

ANd a set of interesting blogs about their technology.

BeoNut since '75

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
Posts 543
Bronze Member
elephant:

The RED One site (http://www.red.com/) has a list of who is filming in 4K these days - and there is a brief 4K "movie" you can download (1.7GB).

ANd a set of interesting blogs about their technology.

Beo-Ed :-)

RED is the brainchild of the former owner and founder of Oakley Eyewear.

Brilliant man!

B
gizze
Not Ranked
Posts 39
Bronze Member
gizze replied on Wed, Sep 5 2012 1:59 PM

moxxey:

Have you seen the resolution required for 4K broadcasting? Surely we all know the processing power required to decode such as video stream, never mind the bandwidth to get it to us in the first place. Imagine trying to send 10 x 4K channels?

The UK simply isn't geared up for 4K broadcasting and it won't be here for a long while yet, if at all.

To be fair we are not even set up for 1080 yet, some of the encoding they use now is poor anyway, then combine that with the bandwidth they are now allowing some channels and as soon as you get any movement or darker scenes it is far from 'HD'!! 

I had an SDI modded Sky box feeding the direct digital feed into a Crystallio II processor a few years ago, and the same with an SDI modded Philips DVD player, and I swear that the image from that being upscaled was better than some of the HD we see on TV these days. 

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Sep 5 2012 8:27 PM

elephant:

I can't find the download, but "brief" and "1.7GB" are the two key words there, I think. Most HD movies from Apple are less than 4GB in size and they are usually two hours of content. A two hour 4K movie would have significant streaming issues if they are provided by download.

My guess is that the industry would like to move to 4K for this reason, knowing it could keep the next-generation Blu-ray going a few years longer. Without it, and with faster broadband, it will be download only and a lot of users sadly think they should pirate rather than pay for a legit movie download (why do the latter when you can do the former, in many users eyes), hence why music on iTunes is worth billions of dollars and the Apple TV is still a "hobby" project.

Flappo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 850
Bronze Member
Flappo replied on Thu, Sep 6 2012 7:22 PM

I guess 4k is useful for films but for TV , especially classic stuff , why bother ? The resolution of sdtv is too low

This tech stuff gives me a bloomin headache :)

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member

I had a demo of the new Bose tv today, and i was very impressed by its sound. Cosmetically its crap, and the picture wasn't much better.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

moxxey:

elephant:

I can't find the download, but "brief" and "1.7GB" are the two key words there, I think. Most HD movies from Apple are less than 4GB in size and they are usually two hours of content. A two hour 4K movie would have significant streaming issues if they are provided by download.

Here you go => http://www.red.com/news/ridley-scott-presents-loom-now-online

BeoNut since '75

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 9:02 AM

elephant:

Thanks. Started downloading....and found it is 1.6GB. About half the size of an average iTunes 1080p HD movie (at 1.5 hours). I wonder how long this 4K clip is, exactly, at 1.6GB? If it's short, it proves my point - that the industry gurus are hoping that this forces us back to discs as a) it's too large to stream and b) too large to pirate successfully!

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
My Spotify extreme download quality is 3 times that of iTunes, which was twice as good as it was just a short time ago. If 4K screens become affordable it will just be a natural progression from the 1080p format, and then no doubt a technical solution will miraculously appear when it's apparent they can charge us a premium for it.

If they can do it in about 3 years, that will fit in nicely with my upgrade fund :-)

Page 1 of 1 (31 items) | RSS