Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BS5 crashes when choosing "CD"

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 0 Followers

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member
bayerische Posted: Sat, Apr 1 2017 9:42 PM

My BS 5 is behaving strangely. The Radio/Aux part of it works just fine, but after choosing "CD" the darn thing crashes and restarts...

Is it "done"? Haven't really touched anything, besides having my BL 5's disconnected a few days because of some re-modeling of our house. 

Too long to list.... 

Gary
Top 500 Contributor
Dublin, Ohio
Posts 108
Bronze Member
Gary replied on Sat, Apr 1 2017 11:19 PM

A similar thing happened to my Besound 5 about two years ago, and I ended up sending the Beomaster 5 to the Chicago B&O store (now permanently closed) to be repaired at a modest price of $1,200.00! Have you tried contacting B&O Support through the B&O Support Website?

Gary
Top 500 Contributor
Dublin, Ohio
Posts 108
Bronze Member
Gary replied on Sat, Apr 1 2017 11:20 PM

A similar thing happened to my Besound 5 about two years ago, and I ended up sending the Beomaster 5 to the Chicago B&O store (now permanently closed) to be repaired at a modest price of $1,200.00! Have you tried contacting B&O Support through the B&O Support Website?

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

Seen this behaviour when selecting "Covers" and trying various SSD combinations that didn't work.

Try running maintenance and recover to see if that helps. May be a HDD showing signs of possible failure. If you are so inclined, I'd clone you HDD asap

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member

Mr 10Percent:

Seen this behaviour when selecting "Covers" and trying various SSD combinations that didn't work.

Try running maintenance and recover to see if that helps. May be a HDD showing signs of possible failure. If you are so inclined, I'd clone you HDD asap

How do I run "maintenance" on it?

If it is failing, then it is. I'm not fixing it as a fix surely is more money than what the thing is worth today. 

Too long to list.... 

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member

Mr 10Percent:

Also if I was to clone the HDD, will it "just work" to clone it to a SSD? Or will something need to be done to get the new HDD working?

I doubt there is a HDD problem as Radio works just fine. All else seems to work perfectly besides when choosing CD. Plays for a few seconds and then it restarts. 

Too long to list.... 

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

bayerische:

Also if I was to clone the HDD, will it "just work" to clone it to a SSD? Or will something need to be done to get the new HDD working?

I doubt there is a HDD problem as Radio works just fine. All else seems to work perfectly besides when choosing CD. Plays for a few seconds and then it restarts. 

Dial the lever to "Settings" do not press "GO"

Press >> << >> << GO and you will get into the extended menu. Select Maintenance

There is a "Start Recovery" option. This will re-load the BM/BS Operating front over XPe but will not delete your music files or MOTs register.

This is always a good one to try first. Takes about 10minutes or so.

The failure you describe in your original post is similar a symptom I encountered trying to get a SSD to work (actually it was a hybrid Seagate Baracuda 2Tb HDD/SSD) - XPe is renowned for not liking SSD and there are posts on the Beosound 5 Forum talking this. Apparently someone has got a Crucial MX100/300 working ok. I failed at various levels with the Samsung Evo. I digress.

I found when going back to a normal/Standard HDD,  the interface operated properly. So I am assuming that there is some code fault introduced to your system which is making it act similarly. The radio part of the code may not be faulty.

The recommendation I would suggest is therefore attempt recovery first, then if not successful, attempt a full clone (as per other threads in the BS5 Forum - I use an ICY Box cloner).

The value of the BS5 may not be much. That is your call but for attempting a Clone to 1TB including an ICY Box clone station would put you back GBP60. Cheaper than it would be for a B&O Service engineer just to receive it. You also get a back-up of all your ripped music.

I've done countless Clones of my BS5 HDD as I've increase to more cost-effective storage and faster drive/access options. I've tried SSD and for the age of the BS5 - that is not worth pursuing much further. However, by linking my BS5 to my WDEX4100 NAS drive where I keep back-up files, I find it very very fast and fluid and that will do me until the motherboard fails or something better than the Moment comes out.

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member

Thank you Mr10%. 

Doing the recovery now...

Too long to list.... 

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member

Recovery done, but now I don't see CD or Radio, just N.Music... 

Too long to list.... 

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

bayerische:

N.Music is the native name for CD. N.Radio for radio. There are settings in the Roles area that you can user select N.Music or CD as the name for accessing the stored music.

Regardless, a test of N.Music will tell you if the original problem has been fixed.

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

Incidentally, is this a machine new to you and purchased used or is it a long-owned machine that has just started to play-up?

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member

Mr 10Percent:

Incidentally, is this a machine new to you and purchased used or is it a long-owned machine that has just started to play-up?

No I've had it for a few years. Been working fine until yesterday. Close to daily use. : /

Too long to list.... 

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member

Mr 10Percent:

bayerische:

N.Music is the native name for CD. N.Radio for radio. There are settings in the Roles area that you can user select N.Music or CD as the name for accessing the stored music.

Regardless, a test of N.Music will tell you if the original problem has been fixed.

A-ha! 

Forgot about that! Thanks.

Now I seem to have an option problem. It's not turning on the speakers. 

Too long to list.... 

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member

OK, back in option 0 now, and seems to be working... 

But something is still a bit haywire, as my Beolab 5's seem to still listen to the SPDIF in even in Radio... I think they should only listen to the SPDIF in CD... 

I've had them unplugged for a few days while remodelling, in our house, could they possibly be in the wrong option?

Too long to list.... 

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

Select Settings / Roles / Audiomaster - yes

Settings / Roles / AM Option - selects how the IR Beo4 controls. 0 = ML TV, 2 = BS5 etc....

I think the BS5 should auto-detect ML and if it does not, it brings up PL speaker options. Can't help with that

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

bayerische:

OK, back in option 0 now, and seems to be working... 

But something is still a bit haywire, as my Beolab 5's seem to still listen to the SPDIF in even in Radio... I think they should only listen to the SPDIF in CD... 

I've had them unplugged for a few days while remodelling, in our house, could they possibly be in the wrong option?

Priority signal for the BL5s is to take the SPdif over PL. All signals go equally from the BS5 whether ML, PL or SPdif. BL5 is the decision maker.

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member

Exactly, and they should only listen to the SPDIF once source is CD. Hmmm.....

Too long to list.... 

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member

Lot's of interesting stuff going on...

My BV9 has ever since I bought it ALWAYS after shutdown checked with the small inbuilt camera the screen settings... This has now stopped. What the heck. I also noticed the BV9's curtains upon shutdown moves much slower the way they're supposed to do it, mine has always had the curtains going very fast, about twice the normal speed and then the camera has popped down. Not so anymore. 

Too long to list.... 

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

bayerische:

Exactly, and they should only listen to the SPDIF once source is CD. Hmmm.....

I'm not sure on that. I have always thought BS5 outputs everything to SPdif regardless of N.Radio or N.Music. SPdif is night and day quality over PL when played through the BL5s

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS