Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Bromley B&O closing

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo Posted: Sat, May 20 2017 3:26 PM

I heard today from Kevin Blake that their Bromley landlord has decided to quadruple their rent so that it  is uneconomic to continue with the store. This is a great shame and I wonder what kind of business can operate with £100k a year in rent and council tax. The visibility of a high street presence will go from Bromley at the end of the month and I hope they will be able to maintain the sales with the remaining shops.

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, May 21 2017 11:02 AM
When I returned to my 15 yo haunts I walked past them, but I doubt they were there in 65-66

Still it is sad to see good dealers go

4X rent hike ... that's obscene

BeoNut since '75

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Sun, May 21 2017 2:24 PM

elephant:
When I returned to my 15 yo haunts I walked past them, but I doubt they were there in 65-66

Still it is sad to see good dealers go

4X rent hike ... that's obscene

They weren't there when I bought my Century in the late nineties. I had to go to their Tunbridge shop. Now they intend to deliver to customers but they've lost footfall now for the initial awareness. 

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sun, May 21 2017 4:41 PM

Simonbeo:

....but they've lost footfall now for the initial awareness. 

... which will be their biggest obstacle going forward.

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Sun, May 21 2017 4:50 PM

Well , exactly. Unless advertising of the products is strong enough people aren't going to search them out between product launch events and they'll go and spend elsewhere/ on other things. There's a limit to how well you can communicate quality materials and audio on a website. Then, if there's installation to be carried out then mailorder doesn't work. 

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sun, May 21 2017 5:08 PM

The trouble with B&O is that they're staring down the end of a loaded gun here.  Who on earth will pay a premium price for a product they've never heard of?

Multibrand. Let's go back to the old days, when people knew what B&O was!!  Get B&O next to Samsung, where the B&O looks premium and you can see the difference - and, moreso, you can actually see it!

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Sun, May 21 2017 7:01 PM

A Beoplay product looks a bit esoteric in John Lewis with insufficient space around it and only a box to explain itself,  however. 

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sun, May 21 2017 7:19 PM

Simonbeo:

A Beoplay product looks a bit esoteric in John Lewis with insufficient space around it and only a box to explain itself,  however. 

I actually agree with you there.  Sorry - to clarify, I meant the independent electronics stores.  

That said, many of them are going out of business or closing down because most people go in, have a demo, pick the salesman's brain, then go and order it from eBay or Amazon.

A sad fact, but a true one.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS