Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Playmaker; I really like it.

rated by 0 users
This post has 51 Replies | 6 Followers

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort Posted: Thu, Sep 6 2012 5:28 PM

Unboxing:

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member

Neatly packed inside. Even a little cable sock Smile

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member

Ready for setup. I could not configure it automatically. Had to use the iMac an connect directly with a network cable, to get it to hook up on the WLAN.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member

First soundcheck. Will be hidden away in the cabinet and connected over AUX to the Beocenter 2. Waiting for cables from Sound Heavenly to arrive.

Until then, I connect directly to my Beloab 3:s.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Thu, Sep 6 2012 5:54 PM

So, how did it sound?

Compared head to head to an Airport Express, the Playmaker sound much more detailed and "pleasant". Listening experience is difficult to describe, but those are the words I find.

Listening on Spotify (streaming quality "extreme") I find a significant improvement. 

Listening to lossless material, I find clearly more details.

Worth buying a Playmaker to replace an Appple Express? Yes, I would say so. It is expensive and ugly, but having spent so much on nice B&O speakers I think a Plamaker makes sense.

One annoying thing when using Beo4 to command the Playmaker:

A.AUX has to be selected to command the Playmaker. If I of some reason want to command the TV (choosing DTV) and then go back to A.AUX, the Playmaker shuts the speakers down when I choose "List" -  A.AUX and "GO" after e.g. change channel on the TV. Or am I doing something wrong? 

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Get the same thing on the A8. Use A mem to listen to the A8, watch some tv on DTV etc, come back to A8 and press in my case A mem I think,and it's simply shuts down. Have to reboot system to get it to play music!!

After your review I will get one.

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 621
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Thu, Sep 6 2012 8:19 PM

Hiort:

One annoying thing when using Beo4 to command the Playmaker:

A.AUX has to be selected to command the Playmaker. If I of some reason want to command the TV (choosing DTV) and then go back to A.AUX, the Playmaker shuts the speakers down when I choose "List" -  A.AUX and "GO" after e.g. change channel on the TV. Or am I doing something wrong? 

Perhaps this has to do with how Beo4 operates, because with Beo5/6, you can switch control between for example DTV and PlayMaker without the PlayMaker shutting down. Then again, the command I'm using on Beo5 to control the PlayMaker is A.MEM -- I don't know if this makes the difference.

The way A.AUX on Beo4 functions sounds annoying, hopefully you get it sorted out!

And thanks for the comparison with AirPort Express! You beat me to it -- and it's good to hear the results, as this has been a source of some debate on the Forum :)

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Sep 7 2012 7:24 AM

KMA:

Perhaps this has to do with how Beo4 operates, because with Beo5/6, you can switch control between for example DTV and PlayMaker without the PlayMaker shutting down. Then again, the command I'm using on Beo5 to control the PlayMaker is A.MEM -- I don't know if this makes the difference.

The way A.AUX on Beo4 functions sounds annoying, hopefully you get it sorted out!

My error was probably to use A.AUX, rather than A.MEM, when using Playmaker "standalone". A.AUX should only be used when the Playmaker is connected to the AUX  in on an audio master. That´s the way I intend to use it, with Beo4 reception turned off at the Playmaker.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Hi Hiort

Thanks for posting your unboxing and your impressions of the PlayMaker.  Glad to see that it was a success for you.  I personally love the idea of the playmaker and can't wait till they land here in Australia.

Congrats

Michael.

kokomo
Top 500 Contributor
Spain
Posts 206
Bronze Member
kokomo replied on Sat, Sep 8 2012 9:38 AM

Hiort:

It is expensive and ugly, but having spent so much on nice B&O speakers I think a Playmaker makes sense.

A severe condemnation surely though on a company prized over many years for their design expertise. Why produce something so boringly unattractive? There really is no excuse. I suppose if it's tucked away though it doesn't really matter that much, 

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member

I'm glad you like it, but that thing looks hideous! 

Nothing B&O at all... I can understand the fact that most hide it away, but what if you don't? The idea of having to hide something is flawed design IMHO.

Too long to list.... 

butch1
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Sat, Sep 8 2012 7:17 PM

what about a beocom pstn?a black plastic square,but it does its job and most hide it away.How many people have beosystem 2s or 3s on show?

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

butch1:
what about a beocom pstn?a black plastic square,but it does its job and most hide it away.

or the PlayMaker's predecessor ... the Beolink Wireless 1.

Designed so it can be exposed - but why would you ?

BeoNut since '75

Yendys
Top 500 Contributor
Sydney
Posts 312
Founder
Yendys replied on Sat, Sep 8 2012 10:47 PM
mickhoog:

..... can't wait till they land here in Australia.

Congrats

Michael.

arrived in Sydney last month, they only had a few which all went very quickly. I preordered and received mine in the initial batch :-)
Yendys
Top 500 Contributor
Sydney
Posts 312
Founder
Yendys replied on Sat, Sep 8 2012 10:51 PM
Hiort:

That´s the way I intend to use it, with Beo4 reception turned off at the Playmaker.

How did you turn off the Beo4 reception? I'm waiting for my dealer to come back to me about a couple of things as I have the playmaker connected to Beosound aux

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Yendys:

arrived in Sydney last month, they only had a few which all went very quickly. I preordered and received mine in the initial batch :-)

Richmond store said that they are yet to get them in as I was enquiring about the playmaker and beolab 3 combo. They are yet to start the "deal" so to speak.

Glad you got yours and hope you can figure out your few issues with it.

Cheers

Michael.
Christophe
Top 500 Contributor
Cape Town
Posts 94
Bronze Member

I'm coming to Sydney in 2 weeks from now, is the Playmaker available in stores, and if yes, at what price? I have no dealer in my country, so I might buy it there..Wink

I like the concept of this device, and was relieved to know that the tone controls are still present, as for the design...why oh why did B&O have to change anything to their beautiful BeoLink eye??? They could have easily made a similar concept, with the current Playmaker acting as a box hidden somewhere, and the IR receiver connected to it via  5 or 7-pin DIN, as is the case with the other BeoLink products..Sad

Alex
Not Ranked
Posts 46
Bronze Member
Alex replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 4:56 PM

Who cares what it looks like?  Has nobody here ever seen an ML Active or Passive kit?  BeoLink PC2?  BeoLine 1/2?  It works and it sounds fantastic compared to the other options on the market.  That's enough for me!

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 9:51 PM

Yendys:

How did you turn off the Beo4 reception? I'm waiting for my dealer to come back to me about a couple of things as I have the playmaker connected to Beosound aux

You use option settings.

Here you can read details:

http://bogo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7050/~/both-my-audio-system-and-playmaker-react-to-commands-from-beo4-and-beo5%2Fbeo6,

Yendys
Top 500 Contributor
Sydney
Posts 312
Founder
Yendys replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 11:07 PM
Chrisreunion:

I'm coming to Sydney in 2 weeks from now, is the Playmaker available in stores, and if yes, at what price? I have no dealer in my country, so I might buy it there..

I have sent you details of the store in Sydney that I picked up mine, so you can check to see if they have any in stock
Christophe
Top 500 Contributor
Cape Town
Posts 94
Bronze Member

SmileThanks a lot, I'll check my mailbox soon, I don't seem to have received anything yet.

Chris Harrison
Top 200 Contributor
Peak District
Posts 381
Bronze Member

I have an airport express that connects to my Beosound 8. I play music directly from the laptop to the Beosound 8. When the Airport Express dies and Im guessing it will soon (usually last 18 months) could I replace with playmaker? Would I notice a difference? 

Beosound 8, Beotime, Beocom 4, Beo 5, Lutron Rania, MacBook 15" (Mid 2015), iPad Pro, iPhone 6S, B&O Play H3, Beolit 12, Form 2, A8 Headphones, B&O Play A1, B&O Essence

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member
bayerische replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 10:00 AM

Alex:

Who cares what it looks like?  Has nobody here ever seen an ML Active or Passive kit?  BeoLink PC2?  BeoLine 1/2?  It works and it sounds fantastic compared to the other options on the market.  That's enough for me!

Yes i've seen those and they're awful. 

I think that B&O should take the approach of a high-end watch maker. They design a beautiful movement, and the finish is breathtaking, only to "hide" it away inside the watch (usually without a display back). Most wearers will never see it, but you know that even inside your watch is beautiful.

This is design to me.

IMHO there is no excuse, it's another fast designed product to fill a gap and make cash flow. Nothing wrong with that, but we expect more from B&O. Or should I say, "I do".

Too long to list.... 

kokomo
Top 500 Contributor
Spain
Posts 206
Bronze Member
kokomo replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 11:02 AM

"I think that B&O should take the approach of a high-end watch maker. They design a beautiful movement, and the finish is breathtaking, only to "hide" it away inside the watch (usually without a display back). Most wearers will never see it, but you know that even inside your watch is beautiful."

Some of you are clearly deluding yourselves? You now seem to uncritically accept anything that B&O 'throws out'.

Since when has the B&O design philosophy meant concentrating on the interior to the exclusion of beautiful overall design?

In the case of the above statement, it's clearly ridiculous. Who wants to pay for a high quality, high end product with a wonderful interior design but an exterior for which no beauty of design has been engineered or even considered?

Even when I look at my LC2s after all these years (and my other kit), the simplicity and beautiful design still amazes me.

Design matters! Don't believe those who try to kid you and themselves that all of a sudden B&O exterior design isn't that important.  

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 11:35 AM

kokomo:

"I think that B&O should take the approach of a high-end watch maker. They design a beautiful movement, and the finish is breathtaking, only to "hide" it away inside the watch (usually without a display back). Most wearers will never see it, but you know that even inside your watch is beautiful."

Some of you are clearly deluding yourselves? You now seem to uncritically accept anything that B&O 'throws out'.

Since when has the B&O design philosophy meant concentrating on the interior to the exclusion of beautiful overall design?

In the case of the above statement, it's clearly ridiculous. Who wants to pay for a high quality, high end product with a wonderful interior design but an exterior for which no beauty of design has been engineered or even considered?

Even when I look at my LC2s after all these years (and my other kit), the simplicity and beautiful design still amazes me.

Design matters! Don't believe those who try to kid you and themselves that all of a sudden B&O exterior design isn't that important.   

Huh? Bayerische is being very critical of the Playmaker! His point is than design does matter (very much), even if it the product is intended to be hidden from view - i.e. the Playmaker should be designed as if it's meant to be displayed in pride of place in the lliving room, even though most users in practise will hide it from view in a corner or somewhere innocuous.

In this case, because the Playmaker has a volume control facility, it is clearly meant to be easily accessable and therefore in view - the decision by B&O to encase it in such an awful enclosure is a very poor one indeed.

Ban boring signatures!

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 12:22 PM

Chris Harrison:

I have an airport express that connects to my Beosound 8. I play music directly from the laptop to the Beosound 8. When the Airport Express dies and Im guessing it will soon (usually last 18 months) could I replace with playmaker? Would I notice a difference? 

You could replace your AE with a Playmaker.

If you will hear the difference or not, I´m not sure. Depends on how well Beosound 8 reproduces what it receives, as well as how critical listener you are, what quality of music files you have on your computer etc. Borrow one from your dealer and give it a try Smile

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member

Could you connect a Playmaker to a Beolab 3500? Having had no experience of the 3500 i don't know of its connections etc. What would i need?

Regards Chris

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Christophe
Top 500 Contributor
Cape Town
Posts 94
Bronze Member

Has anyone tried integrating a Playmaker to an existing BeoLink/Masterlink network?

What I mean is: is there ANY sound delay between rooms playing via Masterlink products such as BL3500 or BeoLink Active, and another room where Playmaker receives the same signal?

Sound delay has always been a major issue with Airplay/Airport Express products/devices, and it would bother me to have Itunes via Linkplayer all in sync throughout the house, and deal with a sound delay in the Palymaker room..Indifferent

Pushkin
Not Ranked
Posts 46
Bronze Member
Pushkin replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 2:35 PM

I am also interested in the playmaker linkage to the bl3500 without a Beosound - ie direct.  Does anyone have any ideas or does sounds heavenly have a magic cable? 

jans
Top 200 Contributor
Belgium
Posts 394
Bronze Member
jans replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 7:12 PM
I would expect that the playmaker Will cause a delay. Typically these devices have some sort of buffer in the digital to analogue conversion.

Jan
butch1
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 384
Bronze Member
butch1 replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 7:14 PM

es i've seen those and they're awful. 

I think that B&O should take the approach of a high-end watch maker. They design a beautiful movement, and the finish is breathtaking, only to "hide" it away inside the watch (usually without a display back). Most wearers will never see it, but you know that even inside your watch is beautiful.

This is design to me.

IMHO there is no excuse, it's another fast designed product to fill a gap and make cash flow. Nothing wrong with that, but we expect more from B&O. Or should I say, "I do".

Everyone looks at design different,I see you have a bmw m5,which most owners buy. for the engine,and not the looks,the e60 is one of chris bangles worst designs,in my opinion,and has a very bland interior for such a great car.Yes I agree b&o is known for design,but its not everything.I personally favour sound quality,longevity and ease of use.which it has over the airport express.

just my 2 cents

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member

Kokomo:

You misunderstood my point completely.

Too long to list.... 

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member

butch1:

Everyone looks at design different,I see you have a bmw m5,which most owners buy. for the engine,and not the looks,the e60 is one of chris bangles worst designs,in my opinion,and has a very bland interior for such a great car.Yes I agree b&o is known for design,but its not everything.I personally favour sound quality,longevity and ease of use.which it has over the airport express.

just my 2 cents

Butch, while design is always going to be a very personal choice, you can't really compare the case of a BMW M5. 

The M cars is probably primarily bought for the engines, gearboxes, chassis etc. And I know I put the technical details of the M5 E60 before the looks of it. The E60 is controversial to say the least, and there seems to be two opinions about it. Love and hate. I happen to Love it. 

But, lets look at the Playmaker. It's hardly an M5 technically (pun intended) and an M5 E60 doesn't look like the Volvo 480. Whatever the opinions about the design of the E60, atleast it HAS DESIGN. Controversial, maybe. Ugly, maybe. The Playmaker is the B&O LADA. Design wise.

OK, I'll shut up now, as I really don't give a rat's a55 about the Playmaker, as I'll never have any use for one anyways.

Too long to list.... 

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 881
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 8:05 PM
Maybe they can get the design right in a Mk II model?

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, 2014 Audi S5 with B&O sound, and ambio 

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 1:20 PM

jans:
I would expect that the playmaker Will cause a delay. Typically these devices have some sort of buffer in the digital to analogue conversion.

Jan

What type of delay are you expecting? The only setup where a delay would occur, as I see it, is if you Airplay from e.g an iphone to the Playmaker and e.g. a computer simultaneously.  I will try that setup and see if I experience any delay.

jans
Top 200 Contributor
Belgium
Posts 394
Bronze Member
jans replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 3:12 PM
That is exactly what I expect: streaming via Playmaker and other devices such as airport express might not be simulaneous. This can be very annoying for a multi-room set-up.

I am very interested in your test! Keep us posted!

Jan
BeoBoy68
Top 75 Contributor
Alsace 🇨🇵
Posts 1,247
Bronze Member
BeoBoy68 replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 11:01 PM

I totally agree with Bayerische. The Paymaker is a Lada design with a BMW motor. How a brand as prestigious and renowned design as B & O can get something as hideous. Incredible it is noted on the website of B & O that this object was designed by Torsten and David Lewis Designers Value.

Sorry I do not agree and I do not buy.

Christophe
Top 500 Contributor
Cape Town
Posts 94
Bronze Member

Talking about design & integration, I'm really surprised B&O couldn't even make 2 holes at the back of the unit (à la BeoLink eye) to make it wall mountable!

I hope STBbrackets will come out with a nice solution for this product to be wall-mountedWink

talisman
Not Ranked
Sweden
Posts 54
Bronze Member
talisman replied on Wed, Sep 12 2012 9:04 AM

Hi,

Which cable is  to be ordered  from the Sound Heavenly, to connect playmaker to my Beosound AUX input ?

Chris Harrison
Top 200 Contributor
Peak District
Posts 381
Bronze Member

Is it possible to play music wirelessly from a MacBook to Playmaker to via cable B&O System and then skip the track using the Beo4/5/6 pointing remote at Playmaker - say Macbook was out of sight/ reach?

Currently i'm using AE and the Apple remote app to skip tracks - would be much easier using the Beo5.

Beosound 8, Beotime, Beocom 4, Beo 5, Lutron Rania, MacBook 15" (Mid 2015), iPad Pro, iPhone 6S, B&O Play H3, Beolit 12, Form 2, A8 Headphones, B&O Play A1, B&O Essence

Page 1 of 2 (52 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS