Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Second hand BL5s older than promised

rated by 0 users
This post has 45 Replies | 1 Follower

Tomas
Not Ranked
Posts 38
Bronze Member
Tomas replied on Tue, Mar 6 2012 9:02 PM

I don't think they are paired in any way.

Mine both are 18 serials, but there is about 70+ numbers in-between them, and since there isn't any difference between the right and the left speaker it shouldn't matter.

auclutch
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member

despite what many posters are saying about the speakers being virtually the same in all material respects irrespective of age, i believe at the end of the day what the dealer did was fraudulent (if he knew that they were indeed of a certain age) or unfair (even if he didn't know, he should issue some sort of refund or take them back).  someone mentioned that he could probably resell them, well that shouldn't be his problem, the dealer should have to try to resell them.  if they are indeed that easy to sell, the dealer should just take them back and resell them, he's much better equipped to do so.

speakers, stereos, cars, headphones, and other mechanical devices are not like diamonds, they do depreciate with age due to a variety of factors but mainly because with age comes corrosion etc... if, for example, on a different scale, you are able to buy a 2 year old TV or a 4 year old TV both the exact same model and same capability, would you buy it for the same price or 2 year old tires vs. 4 year old tires for the same price (both brand new never used) would you buy them?  speakers are not made of diamonds, they are made of wear items including things like rubber, etc...  that age...

anyways, it's 5am here and i'm ranting but just thought i'd share my 2 cents.

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member

Just as a side note, I'm not sure if this is true or not....

But this is what the technical engineer working for B&O said to me, when I bought mine from him. 

It's good that you didn't buy brand new ones. The electrical unit (mains unit) has been changed from the earlier ones to a new and cheaper unit in the newer models. He said all models that have the big mains cable (desktop computer variant) compared to the slim not-grounded cable have better components.

Not sure if this is true, but that's what I was told by a B&O engineer. 

Too long to list.... 

Hubbe
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
Bronze Member
Hubbe replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 10:44 AM

I'm planing to buy second hand BL5 at some point. When did this change occur? If true it's a shame. It's not cheep speakers we are talking about. B&Os top model.

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member

Hubbe:

I'm planing to buy second hand BL5 at some point. When did this change occur? If true it's a shame. It's not cheep speakers we are talking about. B&Os top model.

Could the change have occurred around 2006?

As I said, there's been a change in the cable, whether or not actual components has been changed is only based on what this engineer told me. He told me after I handed over the money, so it wasn't even a selling point.

Too long to list.... 

The Secret Alpaca
Not Ranked
Somewhere in Europe.....
Posts 46
Gold Member

Unlike other BeoLab speakers, BeoLab 5 are not manufactured in pairs, hence why they have different serial numbers.

Each and every pair of BeoLab 5 have different serial numbers, sometimes only a few apart, some further apart. It doesn't necessarily mean that they have not been a pair since they were delivered. 

However, if these speakers did come from a dealer though, it is possible that they may have had two pairs of BeoLab 5 in the same showroom and (when sold to the employee) they delivered one from the 2006 set and one from the 2007.... Just a thought.

Page 2 of 2 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS