Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Use both Powerlink sockets Beolab's

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Desmo
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Bronze Member
Desmo Posted: Fri, Sep 7 2012 8:26 AM

I was just wondering how the powerlink sockets of the beolab speakers works.

I have beolab 1's, which has two powerlink sockets for deasy chaining the speakers.

If I look in the manual it says you can connect the beosound to any of the powerlink sockets.

So this means there is not a powerlink IN, or Powerlink OUT socket?

If this is true, I would be able to connect 2 sources to my beolab speakers.

If this is possible, what would happen if both sources are on?

Will it overblow the speakers?

Any experiences about this?

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Sat, Sep 8 2012 3:38 PM

I seem to recall that there was a recent thread that suggested this as a solution for allowing both masterlink and local audio sources in a room. If both are active it probably picks one - or once it "sees" audio on one of pl ports, it stops looking. Generally, modern beolabs have many safeguards so they are difficult to break just by hooking them up wrong. 

Stan

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member

Stan:
If both are active it probably picks one - or once it "sees" audio on one of pl ports, it stops looking.

They aren't that clever. There is only one Powerlink connection to the speaker electronics. If the speaker has two PL sockets, they are simply connected in parallel (nothing more than a PL 'Y cable', or PL splitter, built into the speaker).

If you connect a source to both of them, all kinds of funny things can happen depeding on how the sources are implemented internally. The speaker probably won't care, but when one of the sources is on and the other off (or muted), the former will be forcing PL control signals into the latter. I don't think anything will be damaged, but it's not something I would try myself.

--mika

hfat
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 663
Bronze Member
hfat replied on Sat, Sep 8 2012 5:38 PM

Some time ago I had two sources connected to BL1s. But sound quality was rather bad, especially bass was almost completely lost. My experiences are that it does not work for ICE based speakers.

hfat

beoaus
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 177
Bronze Member
beoaus replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 2:46 AM

I still have local and ML sources connected to Beolab 1's. I used to have a manual powerlink switch to manage the change over (now I change the cable and rarely at that).  For a time a BS9000 connected direct to the Beolab1's sounded better than when it ran through a BV7 sound processor. Also useful for testing other B&O equipment.

As was mentioned above the Powerlink sockets are in parallel.

beoaus.

Desmo
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Bronze Member
Desmo replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 6:50 AM

beoaus:

I still have local and ML sources connected to Beolab 1's. I used to have a manual powerlink switch to manage the change over (now I change the cable and rarely at that).  For a time a BS9000 connected direct to the Beolab1's sounded better than when it ran through a BV7 sound processor. Also useful for testing other B&O equipment.

As was mentioned above the Powerlink sockets are in parallel.

beoaus.

@beoaus: that's exactly the reason why I would like to give it a try.

I'm just curious for the difference in sound quality directly from the beosound vs beosound through the surround processor.

But I'm not sure if I would like to send a left right signal and 5v input into the other source.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS