Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Connecting a turntable to Beovision 10 (sound only), is that possible?

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

R0lf
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
R0lf Posted: Wed, Jun 14 2017 10:46 PM

Dear all,

I am new to this forum. I just bought a second-hand Beovision 10 (first model, 2 HDMI inputs). I still have to connect the TV to two Beolab 6000 & two 8000 speakers (which I already owned). 

I also have a nice turntable that I would like to connect to the Beovision 10. I can see that there are RCA connections (white/red) on the Beovision 10. I managed to connect the turntable to the 'camcorder' R+L inputs, and the sound works. However, for this, the TV needs to be turned on (black screen) all the time.

Do you know if it woud be possible to connect a turntable to the Beovision 10 'sound only'? 

Thank you for your kind reply!

Rolf

ps> I would also like to connect a Google Chromecast to the Beovision 10. I didn't try this yet. 

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Rolf,

Welcome to Beoworld!  Yes, you can easily add a turntable and a Chromecast (audio or video) to the Beovision 10.  I'm assuming the turntable doesn't have a pre-amp built in (as most non-B&O turntables with RCA outputs aren't pre-amped), in this case you just need a pre-amp bundle like this one which comes with instructions and cables, ready to use in the AV3 input of the TV:-

http://soundsheavenly.com/beogram-record-players/12--preamp-.html – please choose the “Twin RCA plugs” output option

Chromecast Video should plug directly into an HDMI input on the TV, no cables are required.  Chromecast Audio can connect to the Camcorder input on the TV via this cable:-

http://soundsheavenly.com/hifi-av/112--trs-2rca-.html

You can use the Picture Mute command on the Beo4 remote (P.MUTE via the LIST button) to turn off the TV screen when playing audio through the TV.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

R0lf
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
R0lf replied on Thu, Jun 15 2017 4:42 PM

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your quick reply. 

Regarding the turntable, I already have a pre-amp with RCA outputs. The chromecast I have is the 'audio' version, also resulting in RCA outputs.I tried connecting them both (in turn) to the camcorder L+R input of the TV. This worked fine for the sound!

Thanks to you I even managed to find the P-mute option on my remote. The screen turns black indeed: but it does not turn off completely. It is still backlighted, 'beaming blackness in to the room', do you understand what I mean? The TV is thus still on.

Would it be possible to output the audio to the TV, without turning on the screen at all?

Thank you again for your reply!

Rolf 

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Rolf,

Glad to hear that all is working.  Picture mute is the nearest you can get to using the TV sound without the TV fully on, although there will be a small amount of light produced.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Thu, Jun 15 2017 6:30 PM

If you do not have an audio master then perhaps it is possible to get a beolink converter and then use that to connect the turntable too - pressing any audio source should then produce sound through the TV without teh screen being on - although if the TV is NL rather than ML you might need another converter from the beolink converter and loads of leads - perhaps someone else with more knowledge maybe able to advise?

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Thu, Jun 15 2017 6:30 PM

If you do not have an audio master then perhaps it is possible to get a beolink converter and then use that to connect the turntable too - pressing any audio source should then produce sound through the TV without teh screen being on - although if the TV is NL rather than ML you might need another converter from the beolink converter and loads of leads - perhaps someone else with more knowledge maybe able to advise?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Hi Rolf,

if you push the AV command (from List) before pushing any actual 'source' button, you will get sound-only.

The panel will be fully dimmed, but the tv is on - after all it does all the handling of the sources and the processing of the sound.

Example: if the turntable is connected to an AV-input and this is called V.Mem, you would have to choose 'AV -V.Mem' on the remote.

The ChromecastAudio dongle has a digital out, that could be connected to one of the digital input ports on the BV10.

However, you would need a small converter from optical to coax digital.

My advice though, would be to buy a preused AudioMaster from the same generation as the BV10  (these are quite cheap nowadays) and connect this to the BV with a MasterlLink cable.

Then you would have seperate audio input options, that you can access using the audio-buttons on the remote.

The turntable would be activated with just using the Phono command or the ChromecastAudio with using A.Mem.

Any audio source would start with a blank screen and with the appropriate speakers involved (mostly just the Front R/L)

The BV10 would be Option 2 and the audioMaster Option 0.

You could hide the AudioMaster if you don't want it visible - since all controlling is done via the BV.

Just as inspiration ;-)

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Hi Rolf,

if you push the AV command (from List) before pushing any actual 'source' button, you will get sound-only.

The panel will be fully dimmed, but the tv is on - after all it does all the handling of the sources and the processing of the sound.

Example: if the turntable is connected to an AV-input and this is called V.Mem, you would have to choose 'AV -V.Mem' on the remote.

The ChromecastAudio dongle has a digital out, that could be connected to one of the digital input ports on the BV10.

However, you would need a small converter from optical to coax digital.

My advice though, would be to buy a pre-used AudioMaster from the same generation as the BV10  (these are quite cheap nowadays) and connect this to the BV with a MasterlLink cable.

Then you would have seperate audio input options, that you can access using the audio-buttons on the remote.

The turntable would be activated with just using the Phono command or the ChromecastAudio with using A.Mem.

Any audio source would start with a blank screen and with the appropriate speakers involved (mostly just the Front R/L)

The BV10 would be Option 2 and the audioMaster Option 0.

You could hide the AudioMaster if you don't want it visible - since all controlling is done via the BV.

Just as inspiration ;-)

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS