Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoVision 8-40 and BeoLink Passive

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

TitaniumTim
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Bronze Member
TitaniumTim Posted: Thu, Jun 22 2017 1:43 PM

Hi all,

Apologies in advance but I am a bit of a B&O newbie having just bought a house with some kit kindly left by the previous owner. 

It is quite a simply setup which I have mostly got to grips with but I do have a couple of questions. I have searched the forum as best I can but haven't seen the answers. Apologies also if I get some terminology wrong!

Firstly a a description of what I have. It centres around a BeoVision 8-40 with HD module and a surround sound system that all seems to work as expected. The complications come with the bits I have plugged in. 

Blue ray player. Connects to HDMI, accessed on source DVD and can be somewhat controlled from Beo4 remote. So far so good. 

Humax recording set top box. Connects to Scart and I can call it up using source V.Mem. I cannot however control it from the Beo4 as the Humax device is not in the (very short) list of recognised devices for control using the PUC cable?

Roku box. Connects to HDMI and accessed using source V.Aux. I use the Roku remote no problem. I don't think I can control this from Beo4 and PUC cable. 

BeoLink Passive. Connects using proper link cable in the back of the TV to some speakers outside. I can get the sound of the TV through the speakers using sources DTV or V.Mem but not the DVD or Roku. Is this because they are connected with HDMI? Is there a way to get the audio from the HDMI  sources to play through BeoLink Passive?

Lastly, I have a couple of Sonos speakers which I use in other rooms. Is there a way to connect these in to the system so that I can play Sonos sources through the TV speakers and/or outside speakers?

Many thanks in advance for help with any part of the above. 

Tim. 

Pestria
Not Ranked
Posts 58
Bronze Member
Pestria replied on Mon, Jun 26 2017 1:52 PM

High definition sources (HDMI) are not distributed via the Beolink or RF output signals.  If you make a second connection using a scart lead then my understanding is that will be send to rf out.  I'm not sure is a signal wll be sent down the link system, for say the purpose of using the DVD player as an audio source.

Is the sonos connectable via a wifi extender/receiver into a.aux on the BV-8?

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Mon, Jun 26 2017 4:13 PM

TitaniumTim:

Humax recording set top box. Connects to Scart and I can call it up using source V.Mem. I cannot however control it from the Beo4 as the Humax device is not in the (very short) list of recognised devices for control using the PUC cable?

Are there any Humax boxes listed on the TV's STB list?  If so, they are worth trying as the Humax codes often cover a number of different STBs.  Otherwise you could take the TV to a dealer and ask them to update the STB list - well worth it if like me you like to keep the number of remotes to a minimum.  What Humax STB do you have?

TitaniumTim
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Bronze Member

Pestria:

High definition sources (HDMI) are not distributed via the Beolink or RF output signals.  If you make a second connection using a scart lead then my understanding is that will be send to rf out.  I'm not sure is a signal wll be sent down the link system, for say the purpose of using the DVD player as an audio source.

Hi Pestria,

Thanks for your reply.

I thought it was likely to be the fact that they were connected by HDMI. I have a very limited understanding of the way these things work, but it seems odd to my mind that the TV can play it but not 'push' it down the pipe to the Beolink Passive.

I will try running a scart in parallel to the HDMI from the Blueray player and see how that goes.

Unfortunately the Roku only has the HDMI cable so I guess I am at a dead-end with that.

TitaniumTim
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Bronze Member

Duplicate post deleted

TitaniumTim
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Bronze Member

Guy:

Are there any Humax boxes listed on the TV's STB list?  If so, they are worth trying as the Humax codes often cover a number of different STBs.  Otherwise you could take the TV to a dealer and ask them to update the STB list - well worth it if like me you like to keep the number of remotes to a minimum.  What Humax STB do you have?

Hi Guy,

Unfortunately no other Humax boxes on the list. I was rather surprised that the list of devices seemed to be only about (from memory) 20 items. I would have expected a massive list of devices by various manufacturers. Is it really a case of taking to a dealer to update the list? Is this not something I can do myself online? The Humax is a PVR 9300-T.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Fri, Jun 30 2017 11:58 AM

Unfortunately the BV8 has a PUC rather than the STB-C of the older TVs.  This requires a flash update from a dealer's laptop in order to add devices.  (The STB-C type could be easily updated with a chip-change which is relatively easy to do yourself.)   The list of devices would usually be tailored to a new customers requirements, rather than adding an all-encompassing list (perhaps there were memory limitations, or an absolute limit on the number of boxes that could be added?)

If you do take the TV to the dealer to update, I would also take the Humax box along so that you can check that the re-programming works!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS