Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

b&o digital receiver/ STB?

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Robert
Not Ranked
Finland
Posts 16
Bronze Member
Robert Posted: Sun, Sep 9 2012 7:28 AM

Hi!

I intend to by a old BV avant vcr an wonder what kind of digital reciever or STB i should buy to get controll of it via the beo4? B&O dont have any STB:s?

I read that Topfield 5800 pvr is one option but are there other brands/ models that would work via the beo4 as well?

Thanks in advance, Robert

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 7:36 AM

I assume there is a STB controller fitted??

Go to 'MENU' then 'SETUP' then 'CONNECTIONS'.  Change one of the inputs to STB (SAT) and when you OK this you will be presented with a list of STBs that the AVANT is able to control.  You can then chose one from the list.

If the list is old, it is possible to update by fitting a new STB controller chip, available for about £30 (+ fitting).

I hope this helps - I have experimented with a few STBs and find HUMAX boxes very easy to use with the Beo 4.

Robert
Not Ranked
Finland
Posts 16
Bronze Member
Robert replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 7:47 AM

Thanks for quick response!

How do i know if there is a stb controller fitted, if the owner dont know? Is it like a chip somewhere in the tv or?

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 7:53 AM

I think if you do the process I described above it will show the STB list if an STB-C is fitted - this is the best way to check.

Alternatively, is there a 3.5mm socket at the back of the telly?  If so, this is where you plug in the IR blaster/transmitter.  I am not sure, but some TVs may have the socket without the STB-C.

An STB-C can be retro fitted but they are difficult to find unless your dealer has an old one on the shelf or you get lucky on eBay. You may be able to get one from an otherwise damaged TV - Avant or Beovision 3.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 7:57 AM

And a search of the archived forum (search 'STB-C') will find some useful info like this:

http://archivedarchivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/41165/342648.aspx#342648

Robert
Not Ranked
Finland
Posts 16
Bronze Member
Robert replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 8:02 AM

Ok, thanks. I will check this when i go to my dealer.

Do you know, have there been problems with the avant tv:s in general, i read thet some have changed there tubes, have you and was that expensive.

Would be good to know a average tube life or something.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 8:08 AM

My TV is actually a BV3 but it's basically the same as an Avant but in a smaller case and with no VCR or DVD.

I have been very pleased with my TV - an excellent picture and very good sound.  I see no desperate need to upgrade to an LCD or plasma.

I can't answer the question about tube life but someone else on the forum may be able to help.  Otherwise, click on the 'Archived Forum' at the top of the page and search for info about Avants - most questions have been answered there if you look hard enough!

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Sun, Sep 9 2012 12:09 PM

Some VCR Avants may pre- date some of the terrestrial digital services like Freeview in the UK, but the STB chip should still have plenty of satellite options if it is fitted.

The flat screen Avants are very reliable.

Graham

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS