Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Advice with Powerlink cables outside??

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

pauljrog
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Bronze Member
pauljrog Posted: Thu, Jun 29 2017 3:54 PM

Hi,

I have a B&O music setup which includes a pair of Beolab 4000, Beolab 2 and a Beolab 7.1.

I have had this setup for around 2 years now with no problems, recently I wanted to hide away all the cables, the only way to do this in my house because of reasons i'm not going into is to drill small holes through the wall and clip the powerlink and power cables to an outside wall.

I am an electrician so i went ahead and drilled all the holes in the wall and hide all the cables, I sealed up all the holes with silicon sealant.

Problem is that when I switch on the power to the speakers there is a loud hum and the LED's on the speakers are yellow.......But as soon as I switch on the stereo system (Beocenter 9300) the hum completely goes away, the LED's go Green and i hear crystal clear sound.

What do you think the problem is? The mains 240V power and Genuine B&O MK3 powerlink cables go through the same holes in the wall, but i have separated them whenever i can on the external wall, but I thought the Powerlink cables are screened??

I was gentle with all the cables on install and didn't cut any and I don't think i've damaged anything.

Also, the humming tends to get worse whenever it rains outside??

Thanks for the advice??

Paul.

OldJack
Top 200 Contributor
Split
Posts 371
Gold Member
OldJack replied on Thu, Jun 29 2017 4:08 PM

Is it raining over power and powerlink cables?

Beogram 6500 MMC2,Beosound Ouverture,2xBeolab 8000,2xBelolab 4000,Beolab 2,Beolab 7.2,Beo4 navi, 2xBeocom2,Serene,Beosystem 3 mk3,H6 2nd gen,Earphones E8,A8,A9 keyring,Beoplay A1,Bottle opener,Beoplay A2 active(thanks Botty)Wine Set(thanks Botty),4Ktv Samsung 55'',Beolab 7.1 with 42''Panasonic plasma,,Oppo udp-203, LinTronic.

pauljrog
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Bronze Member
pauljrog replied on Thu, Jun 29 2017 5:38 PM

Yes, the powerlink and the 240V power leads are clipped to an external wall, so they both get rained on.

Thanks.

OldJack
Top 200 Contributor
Split
Posts 371
Gold Member
OldJack replied on Thu, Jun 29 2017 11:50 PM

Cover it with one of designers umbrellas,

https://www.stylebop.com/en-th/men/umbrella-with-skull-handle-260621.html?cpkey=a_NRT6dylbnJvJAjw9ZHVhIcUOx3wTQys4B80klhR30&ranMID=35919&tmad=c&tmcampid=16&tmclickref=gcdL%2FATRVoE&campaign=affiliate/linkshare/usa/&utm_source=affiliate&utm_medium=linkshare&utm_campaign=adsus&utm_campaign=linkshare&ia-pmtrack=50440005&siteID=gcdL_ATRVoE-BYUu4Z614jc09aTXF7iDnA

And wear insulated rubber boots before the next rain,and pray to holy spirits you are still alive...

Or just run cablings into waterproof sealed box

Beogram 6500 MMC2,Beosound Ouverture,2xBeolab 8000,2xBelolab 4000,Beolab 2,Beolab 7.2,Beo4 navi, 2xBeocom2,Serene,Beosystem 3 mk3,H6 2nd gen,Earphones E8,A8,A9 keyring,Beoplay A1,Bottle opener,Beoplay A2 active(thanks Botty)Wine Set(thanks Botty),4Ktv Samsung 55'',Beolab 7.1 with 42''Panasonic plasma,,Oppo udp-203, LinTronic.

JoeJet
Not Ranked
UK
Posts 7
Bronze Member
JoeJet replied on Fri, Jun 30 2017 1:49 AM

it sounds like you have a damaged cable, the hum is an earth leak it could be just water seeping into the cable, the cables are not outdoor rated. you need direct burial cable for that. I had a similar issue with a cat 6 cable being used as an audio balon the cable was in a flooded conduit we replaced with a direct burial cable and the hum disappeared (not B&O though)

So buy new cables use a sealed plastic coundit, no leaks please and that should fix it. make sure it's a uv rated pipe otherwise it will break down let in water and off you go again.

J

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Paul,

As mentioned previously, I think the Powerlink cables have become damaged during the installation.  It is very easy to damage the thin mk.3 cables when running these through walls, clipping the cables or joining them.  Specifically, it sounds as though pin 7 (Vref) may have become disconnected within the cable and become short circuited to pin 4 (speaker on signal) at the speaker end of the cable.

New cables should resolve this issue at a very low cost: http://soundsheavenly.com/powerlink-8-pin-din-connection/20-powerlink-mk-3-compatible-8-pin-din-cable-with-4-cores-wired-low-profile-cable.html

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS