Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Looking for a B&O CD player... which older model to get?

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 0 Followers

zenon
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
zenon Posted: Sat, Jul 1 2017 7:08 PM

My old CD player failed, and I need a replacement.  B&O doesn't seem to make any CD players anymore.  With my limited knowledge, looking at the second-hand market is confusing.  Can someone recommend the better B&O CD player to invest in at this point when the tech is on its way out?  I was looking at the Beosound 4 and BeoSound 9000.  Thanks so much.

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, Jul 1 2017 7:27 PM

If you have a B&O TV and want the convenience of using a B&O remote, don't rule out a DVD1 as a cheap solution - it's easy to play CDs.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Jul 1 2017 7:52 PM

If your CD player is a B&O, why not get it repaired?

Martin

zenon
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
zenon replied on Sat, Jul 1 2017 8:24 PM

My old CD player is a Marantz.  My wife does not like the look of all these devices, and pressured me into getting rid of all wires and black boxes.  She just wants cute wireless speakers around, and said a B&O CD player is the only one that looks good enough to be on display in living room.  Life is tough.  Smile

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sat, Jul 1 2017 8:31 PM

If you want to display it, the Beosound 9000 is the most decorative. The Beosound 2 is an alternative and will also play DVDs and has a DAB radio.

Peter

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul
Posts 780
Bronze Member
I've really taken to the CD4500 but only with the digital out to a good quality DAC, the DAC built in the 4500 is kind of so so.
MediaBobNY
Top 75 Contributor
Greenwich Village, NYC
Posts 1,106
Bronze Member

Not quite sure how a BS 9000 or BS 4 are direct replacements for a solo CD player since they're so much more.  Take a look at the above or a Beogram CDX, one of B&O's first CD players that has a warm, analog sound.  Beautiful and has standard RCA connectors. Desirability and collectibility put a premium on its price but still much cheaper than a BS 4 / 9000.

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,417
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Sun, Jul 2 2017 8:13 AM
And don't forget the classic Beosound 2300/2500/3000/3200/Ouverture.
CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Sun, Jul 2 2017 10:45 AM

zenon:
My wife does not like the look of all these devices, and pressured me into getting rid of all wires and black boxes.

Hi,

You've got to tell us more on what you already own, and what you expect at the end...

Do you want to keep your (B&O or non B&O ?) devices (with what kind of input/output)?

Do you you plan to buy new B&O gears?

Etc.

And I agree, CD players (almost all, what ever the brand, are just ugly...)

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Also - are you looking for a CD-player (as a standalone) or for a MusicSystem (with a built-in cd-function) like some of the posters assume?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

zenon
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
zenon replied on Thu, Jul 6 2017 5:49 AM

Thank you all for the input.  

Basically, I just need a CD player to play my legacy CDs on my Beoplay A6 speakers.  I would like something that looks nice and is known for reliably and a pleasant sound.  I can live with a single player, but multi disc does make life easier.  

As to my hifi background...   about ten years ago I had sudden serious hearing loss in the high frequencies.  Made me so depressed I stopped listening to music.  It just wasn't the same anymore.  So now I'm trying to get back into it, but I realize the biggest issue I will have with the quality if the sound will be my high frequencies limitations.

zenon
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Bronze Member
zenon replied on Thu, Jul 6 2017 5:49 AM

Basically, I just need a CD player to play my legacy CDs on my Beoplay A6 speakers.  I would like something that looks nice and is known for reliably and a pleasant sound.  I can live with a single player, but multi disc does make life easier.  

As to my hifi background...   about ten years ago I had sudden serious hearing loss in the high frequencies.  Made me so depressed I stopped listening to music.  It just wasn't the same anymore.  So now I'm trying to get back into it, but I realize the biggest issue I will have with the quality if the sound will be my high frequencies limitations.

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Thu, Jul 6 2017 8:32 AM

zenon:

Beogram CD3500/4500/6500/7000 has an coax digital out, if you buy a digitial -> analog converter, not expensive, you can connect the cd player directly to the line in on the A6, off course you have no remote control of the cd player, but at least you can listen to cd's and control the volume from the App.

If you need to control the cd-player you need to connect it to NetworkLink via the NL converter.

/Jacob

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 856
Bronze Member

I vote for Beocenter 2. Beautiful classic design, either on the wall or sitting on the sideboard.

And you would have radio and DAB too (if needed).

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Thu, Jul 6 2017 9:58 AM

Weebyx:

If you need to control the cd-player you need to connect it to NetworkLink via the NL converter.

Given the age of those equipments, for remote control you'd also need a Beomaster and an MCL/ML converter!

Weebyx
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,213
Bronze Member
Weebyx replied on Thu, Jul 6 2017 10:08 AM

Guy:

Weebyx:

Given the age of those equipments, for remote control you'd also need a Beomaster and an MCL/ML converter!

You are correct, totally forgot that :)

/Jacob

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

zenon seems to be aiming for a standalone cd-player.

I'd go for the good old CDX.

Has analog out - just plug it in.

https://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=936

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS