Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Please help me choose a music streaming service (and possibly some new hardware)

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

LR2015
Not Ranked
Posts 81
Bronze Member
LR2015 Posted: Sun, Jul 2 2017 10:17 AM

Hi everyone, I am totally lost on which music streaming service would be best for us so if I give you guys a little info hoping you can help smile

In the living room we have a Bang & Olufsen Beovision 11 (BV11) television connected to a pair of Beolab 9 (BL9) speakers. The BV11 has a Spotify and Deezer app built in to it so I assume either of these would be the obvious choice? The BV11 also has an Apple TV box attached that we use for Netflix, NowTV and renting movies from ITunes. The Apple TV isn't the newest model. Sound quality is awesome from the BL9's so want to get the best out of them.

In the kitchen we have a little (Ruark i think) digital radio which doesn't sound too great so would be looking to replace this. Ideally would like a one box solution which has great sound - would happily pay £1000+ for this. It would need to be able to connect to digital radio and also connect to the music streaming service although wifi connection isn't great in the kitchen which is using a cheap Netgear wifi extender - approximately 3 years old but doesn't work too good.

Me and the Missus also have IPhone 5SE's so would be nice to be able to have music on both of these too. Currently do not use the IPhone's for music but the missus wants to buy some headphones so she can listen to music in the gym.

At work (different location to home) I want to get rid of my old (20yrs) Yamaha separates system and replace with a system which produces good sound (I like to hear the bass) from both digital radio stations and also the music streaming service. 

Technology is moving faster than I can keep up with - a new car will almost likely have some kind of Airplay app so would like to use this via my IPhone. My daughter would like a new TV and speakers and music player in her bedroom (she currently has our old AvantDVD) so would also benefit from some kind of streaming service via Netflix, music streaming service etc.

I like the sound of Tidal (something to do with lossless / better quality sound?) but wonder if I could utilise all of the above into a Tidal contract and also not sure how I would get Tidal to work with the Bang & Olufsen kit in the living room without having to add any other hardware? From a quick search on the internet my head is saying Spotify. Whichever we choose it needs to also be easy to use and integrate between devices etc as none of us are great with understanding and adapting to new technology. It was much easier when I had my AvantDVD, 8000's and BL2 and could just slip a CD into the DVD slot and press play haha!

Looking in this forum there are some knowledgeable guys so really hoping for some help smile

Cheers all

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member

Answer depends how much you care about B&O integration.

If this is a clear priority, only Deezer integrate fully into a NL setup (leveraging Beomusic app / X app). So, this will be your best choice.

However, you can also integrate other streaming services with B&O if you don't mind doing so via airplay (and then distribute the airplay signal). Almost all B&O devices support airplay or can easily do so. If that's fine for you, you can go with spotify (clear market leader) or with tidal (lossless).

egges
Top 500 Contributor
germoney
Posts 303
Bronze Member
egges replied on Mon, Jul 3 2017 8:50 AM

my experiences so far:

-Spotify has had some multiroom limitations in my set up with ML-devices

-Deezer wasn´t able to play gapless

-AppleMusic would need an AppleTV 4th generation (edit: to navigate through AM, just for "airplaying" the older AppleTV´s are fine enough)

For the first month (AM three months) is free I´d go out and try them all.

Wohnzimmer: BeoVision Avant 55", BeoLab 11, 12-2 und 12-3 für 5.1-Sound +  appleTV 4K und Philips BluRay-Player; BeoSound 2, BeoSound 3000 (fast nur noch Deko)////Schlafzimmer: BeoEssence MkII, BeoLab 4000 + Samsung 46"-TV////Büro: BLC NL/ML, BeoSound 35, Thorens TD320MkII, Samsung 32"-TV, WesternDigital 4TB-Server////Bad: BeoLab 2000; alles CAT7 verkabelt////Küche: M5 (drahtlos) plus diverse apple-Geräte (imac, macbook, ipads, iphones, timecapsule, watch)

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Mon, Jul 3 2017 10:07 AM

egges:

For the first month (AM three months) is free I´d go out and try them all.

Good call. That's exactly what I did.

I settled on Deezer in the end.

LR2015
Not Ranked
Posts 81
Bronze Member
LR2015 replied on Mon, Jul 3 2017 7:24 PM

Thank you for the replies. I'm not too bothered about multi-linking at the moment, more just after a good quality of sound - would I get this with Airplay? Apologies if this is a daft question but would I be able to get sound quality on par with a Compact Disc? I've never used a music streaming service before so I have no idea what to expect. Firstly I want to concentrate on getting the best out of my BL9's :)

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

LR2015:

...but would I be able to get sound quality on par with a Compact Disc?

I've never used a music streaming service before so I have no idea what to expect.

Firstly I want to concentrate on getting the best out of my BL9's :)

This is an ongoing discussion - a tough one at times.

If you wait long enough, you will get this and that answer - which won't help you much.

Why not try out Spotify/Deezer Premium and Tidal Hifi to see/hear for yourself?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

LR2015
Not Ranked
Posts 81
Bronze Member
LR2015 replied on Thu, Jul 6 2017 5:03 PM

Ok MM, thank you.

However, it looks like the Spotify app on my BV11 is no longer supported - is this true or do I need to download some kind of update?

Cheers

egges
Top 500 Contributor
germoney
Posts 303
Bronze Member
egges replied on Thu, Jul 6 2017 5:27 PM

navigating on screen i'd suggest both

-AppleMusic via AppleTV 4th gen. or 

-Amazon Prime Unlimited via FireTV (with PUC and flirc-dongle and Beoremote1)

Wohnzimmer: BeoVision Avant 55", BeoLab 11, 12-2 und 12-3 für 5.1-Sound +  appleTV 4K und Philips BluRay-Player; BeoSound 2, BeoSound 3000 (fast nur noch Deko)////Schlafzimmer: BeoEssence MkII, BeoLab 4000 + Samsung 46"-TV////Büro: BLC NL/ML, BeoSound 35, Thorens TD320MkII, Samsung 32"-TV, WesternDigital 4TB-Server////Bad: BeoLab 2000; alles CAT7 verkabelt////Küche: M5 (drahtlos) plus diverse apple-Geräte (imac, macbook, ipads, iphones, timecapsule, watch)

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Jul 6 2017 7:25 PM
MM is right, try them out for yourself, different things are important to different people.....

I went through a similar quandary myself, and in the end CD quality was the most important to me, so I ripped my CDs onto a NAS drive, and chose to get a Moment to control it, which comes with the added benefit of Deezer streaming too.....but the Moment itself might feel not quite slick enough if you are used to the speed and responsiveness of an up to date iPad....

Otherwise, Tidal offers hi quality streaming, which you can beam to an Apple TV, or chrome cast to an enabled bit of hardware (Fire TV box, stick etc)

Apple Music can be streamed in the same way to an Apple TV, or you can navigate Apple Music on your TV using the Apple TV, though the navigation interface is poor by comparison....

I'd try out one of the free trials, see if the quality is good enough for you (which it may well be), before deciding if you need to go down the CD ripped route....

jans
Top 200 Contributor
Belgium
Posts 394
Bronze Member
jans replied on Thu, Jul 6 2017 7:43 PM
9 LEE:

Good call. That's exactly what I did.

I settled on Deezer in the end.

I always used Spotify and recently added Deezer since it is reasonably well embedded in the X-app. This given the single app multi-room experience I was looking for.

Technically and soundwise Deezer/x-app works fine. However, I must admit that I like the Spotify playlists better. They offer a broader range of curated playlists. I especially like the playlists you can select based on your mood, or event. Deezer seems more limited in offering these playlists and recommendations.

For this reason, I continue to use both streaming services next to each other untill I have made up my mind.....
Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
I like deezer
vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member

Your BV11 should now have NRadio after the last software update.

Out of 20000 stations you are bound to find half a dozen stations without adverts,  DJ's waffling and music to suit your taste. But that is just my personal preference.... either CD's or listening to N Radio (and particularly Radio Paradise). I have an aversion to subscribing because over time the subscriptions tend to rise but your use of a particular service tends to decline as better services come along.

In the case of the likes of Radio Paradise, if you like the service you can send an occasional voluntary payment.

Graham

LR2015
Not Ranked
Posts 81
Bronze Member
LR2015 replied on Fri, Jul 7 2017 7:45 PM

Thank you again to all with the recommendations etc. You are right - I need to give a few of them a try. I think I will start with Deezer and see how I/we get on.

I will probably start another thread... but wondered what people thought to the Beoplay A6?

thank you

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Jul 7 2017 10:31 PM
I don't have one, but from what I understand, it is well liked.....the new BS2 is also well liked I think...(I have one, and it's excellent though expensive)....the A9 is also very very good.....
Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS