Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beosound 9000 Mk1 Dead

rated by 0 users
This post has 24 Replies | 1 Follower

Doug
Not Ranked
Minnesota
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Doug Posted: Wed, Jul 5 2017 5:26 PM

I have recently become the owner of a Beosound 9000 Mk1 (Model 2523).  It has very good physical appearance but is completely dead on the electronics.  I have opened it up and found this:

The standby light is not lighting.

The transformer is putting out about 10 VAC

The 3 fuses are all good.

There is about 4.8 VAC on BOTH sides of the fuse "sockets".  That seemed strange to me.

I followed the trouble shooting guide for a Mk3 and removed several of the ribbon cables.  I did not get any standby light.  Was I to remove each one individually and then reinstall it or pull the all off?  I did each one individually. 

I suspect that there is no DC voltage being created anywhere on the power supply but I do not know where to take test measurements.  There appear to be enough differences between the MK1 and MK3 that I could get in deep trouble without the right manuals.

So my options are:

1) Hang it on the wall and let it look pretty.  Tell stories of how it would operate if it was not dead.  That would make me sad.

2) Hope for a miracle answer and simple repair from this forum.  That would be great.

3) Send it to B&O and spend the kids college fund getting it repaired.  That would make me poor.

4) Some option I have not considered?

Thanks!

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul
Posts 780
Bronze Member
5) sell on eBay as, "untested. I don't have the proper cords" and then buy another one.
MediaBobNY
Top 75 Contributor
Greenwich Village, NYC
Posts 1,106
Bronze Member

Hopefully that's a joke.  Sell it on eBay as a 'Parts or Repair' unit.  Then buy a working Mk III unit.

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul
Posts 780
Bronze Member
Yes joke. It's painful all the listings where people say they cannot test B&O gear but have a dozen or more B&O items listed.
Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Sat, Jul 22 2017 9:36 AM

Take out the ribbon cable between the powersupplyboard and motorcontrol. 

It's a cable about 15cm long and a thicker one than the rest. 

Does the standby led work again?

If not, then your powersuppy will be defective. 

You can send it over for repair. 

MediaBobNY
Top 75 Contributor
Greenwich Village, NYC
Posts 1,106
Bronze Member

Beobuddy:
You can send it over for repair

Don't even think of sending it overseas for repair.  Feel free to send me a PM for a local service center.

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Sun, Jul 23 2017 12:50 PM

Just the powersupply I meant. No big deal. 

And in case with use of a original shipping box, that happens also on regular base. 

These items were send worldwide in a an original box. 

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Sun, Jul 23 2017 12:58 PM

These local servicecenters often don't have the knowledge, parts or readable diagrams to fix the powersupplyboards. 

I often receive boards where they made several attempts without succes. It then starts first by fixing the added damage by them before fixing the original culprit. 

Maurice
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 108
Bronze Member
Maurice replied on Mon, Jul 24 2017 9:17 PM

Hi Doug 

I have copies of the wiring hard diagrams for BS9000 Mk 1 dont try to do to detailed fault finding with Mk 3 Diagrams the Mk 3  PCB 3 power supply is a different beast to a Mk 1.

you mention that the 3 fuses are ok  on PCB 3 and you have approx 10VAC on P17 am i right in assuming you still have PCB 3 still in place?  if so you need to take a deep breath and photo in as much detail as poss the connections onPCB 3 if its in situ you will only see about half of them.  as it needs to come out to measure some basic voltages. 

let me knowyour location and where you are regarding the state of the item eg how far is it stripped down.

regards Maurice

Doug
Not Ranked
Minnesota
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Doug replied on Mon, Jul 24 2017 9:39 PM

I have not tried to remove the power supply.  I can see that much of the board is hidden under the metal plate still.  And it looks like the clamper and all has to come out to get to the rest of the board.  I definitely could see that the mk3 board is different from the mk1 so I have not tried too much trouble shooting with the mk3 diagrams.  I was hoping to get mk1 specific advice/diagrams before getting into detailed trouble shooting. 

I am located in Minneapolis.

Maurice
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 108
Bronze Member
Maurice replied on Mon, Jul 24 2017 11:25 PM

ok after sucessfully deleating my next reply in short you need 5V at PCB3 plug P16 pins 1-2 which connects directly to PCB5 plug P83 pins 1&2 5V theres a fuse F1 which needs checking PCB 5 is immeadiatly next to the sledge cable pully  at position CD1 under a plastic sheild and  under the aluminium  top panel and has the mains voltage cables x 2 connected to it. you need to move the cd mech away from position 1  if necessary by removing the rear metal panel note the ground connectors and how many of them and then rotate the white plastic drive gear to release the clamp and allow it to move ENJOY ! lots of screws

regards Maurice

Doug
Not Ranked
Minnesota
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Doug replied on Tue, Jul 25 2017 1:30 PM

The sled moves freely so I can get to the plastic cover.  It does not seem to want to come off.  Do I need to remove the back and unscrew the plastic cover or should it just pop off from the front?

Maurice
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 108
Bronze Member
Maurice replied on Tue, Jul 25 2017 6:57 PM

its screwed on from the fronr if memory serves me correctly  you can gain more access undoing the four screws on the transformer.

Maurice
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 108
Bronze Member
Maurice replied on Tue, Jul 25 2017 7:26 PM

Doug if you go to safari and type in beosound 9000 service its the green cover manual  with your type number on it, its  from elektrotanya where you can download it  or if you are a silver member  you may be able to get it from this site.Regards

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Thu, Jul 27 2017 1:43 PM

If TS has 10V AC from the transformer, then there is no need to take out the small PCB beneath the aluminum plate.

It needs to have 5,3V around T37/(T10 on newer boards).

Maurice
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 108
Bronze Member
Maurice replied on Fri, Jul 28 2017 12:54 AM

HI i take you mean 3TR37 so you are checking sipply to the power switching PCB33 if i have understood your comment correctly i bow to your superior knowledge  i was aiming at certain trees in the woods not looking at the overall pic so to speak thanks for pointing that out

regards Maurice

Doug
Not Ranked
Minnesota
Posts 5
Bronze Member
Doug replied on Fri, Jul 28 2017 9:12 PM

I have 13vdc on the top and bottom leads of TR37.

robcampman
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
robcampman replied on Sun, Oct 29 2017 12:15 AM

Hi, was wondering if you managed to fix this. I picked up a dead beosound 9000 yesterday and this thread seems to be the only infosource on this model. Would love to get some tips on where to look for.

knastaksel
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member

What if the stand-by led now work again , and radio work but not CD and display ?

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Posts 5,495
Founder

robcampman:
Hi, was wondering if you managed to fix this. I picked up a dead beosound 9000 yesterday and this thread seems to be the only infosource on this model. Would love to get some tips on where to look for.

You will need to provide more information about the fault you have on your BeoSound 9000 and what "Mark" or "Type" number it is?

I suggest you start a new thread with full details of your problem.

Regards Keith....

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Posts 5,495
Founder

knastaksel:

What if the stand-by led now work again , and radio work but not CD and display ?

Again, please provide more detail in particular which version of BeoSound 9000 you are talking about.

You can only receive quality answers if you provide as much detail as possible..

Regards Keith....

Teyelvis
Not Ranked
Posts 49
Bronze Member
Teyelvis replied on Wed, Dec 16 2020 4:04 PM

Hi Doug, is there any update on your mk1 repairs? 

kennyv22
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Bronze Member

Hello,

I would like to reopen this topic because i had the same problem and some other problems still remain.

I have a BeoSound 9000 mk1 suddenly it was completely dead. I managed to repair the power board (broken mosfet TR37, leaky capacitor C97, diodes D22 etc).Diode D22 i changed it to an SS36 instead of an SS34 because the beoguys did the same in the mk2 version. Now the standby led lights up. The main relay clicks. The glass door won't move when i push the button (maybe faulty motorboard?) The transformer outputs at first 10V then when the relay clicks 30V. When i push radio the standby led dims and the attached BeoLab clicks on. But nothing happens and the BeoSound goes back to standby. When i push cd all the red lights next to each cd lights up, but the sledge does not move and the lcd remains off. As i measured the 12V line on the powersupply pcb does not come up at booting. Does someone have experience in what components likely to cause trouble so the 12V line does not work? The 5V line is good.

I thank you

Kind regards

Kenny

kennyv22
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Bronze Member

Hello,

I would like to reopen this topic because i had the same problem and some other problems still remain.

I have a BeoSound 9000 mk1 suddenly it was completely dead. I managed to repair the power board (broken mosfet TR37, leaky capacitor C97, diodes D22 etc).Diode D22 i changed it to an SS36 instead of an SS34 because the beoguys did the same in the mk2 version. Now the standby led lights up. The main relay clicks. The glass door won't move when i push the button (maybe faulty motorboard?) The transformer outputs at first 10V then when the relay clicks 30V. When i push radio the standby led dims and the attached BeoLab clicks on. But nothing happens and the BeoSound goes back to standby. When i push cd all the red lights next to each cd lights up, but the sledge does not move and the lcd remains off. As i measured the 12V line on the powersupply pcb does not come up at booting. Does someone have experience in what components likely to cause trouble so the 12V line does not work? The 5V line is good.

I thank you

Kind regards

Kenny

kennyv22
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Bronze Member

Hello,

I thank you

Kind regards

Kenny

Page 1 of 1 (25 items) | RSS