Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

7 or 5 pin DIN

rated by 0 users
This post has 32 Replies | 1 Follower

liviu_o
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 157
Bronze Member
liviu_o Posted: Mon, Sep 10 2012 3:28 PM

Hi! 

Can I use a 7 or 5 DIN powerlink in order to make a RCA-powerlink cable to connect beolab 8000/6000 to non B&O receiver?

Thanks!

Liviu

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

liviu_o
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 157
Bronze Member
liviu_o replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 5:17 PM

Soren,

thanks but I am wondering if I can use a 5 pin DIN instead of the 8 pin DIN from the schema above.

Liviu

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 5:28 PM

liviu_o:
thanks but I am wondering if I can use a 5 pin DIN instead of the 8 pin DIN from the schema above.

Yes... pins 6 and 7 (and 8) aren't used for anything in the speakers you mentioned.

--mika

liviu_o
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 157
Bronze Member
liviu_o replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 5:53 PM

Yes, I have seen it but the problem is if the 5 pin DIN will have same position of the pins as an 8 pin DIN and if the 4,2,5,3,7 pin will be identically positioned .

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

tournedos:
Yes... pins 6 and 7 (and 8) aren't used for anything in the speakers you mentioned.

Can pin 2 be used as negative for the trigger signal (+ pin 4)

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 6:12 PM

Søren Mexico:
Can pin 2 be used as negative for the trigger signal (+ pin 4)

Yes. As I mentioned, pin 7 isn't connected anywhere in Beolab 8000, and in 6000 it is just a link between the two PL sockets (and doesn't go anywhere else).

Even in the diagram above, pins 2 & 7 are connected together (at the cable sleeve) - it wouldn't even work with those speakers if you forget that connection, unless the trigger & audio happen to share the same ground at the amplifier end.

--mika

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Thanks Mika

liviu_o
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 157
Bronze Member
liviu_o replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 7:42 PM

Soren,

in your first post pin 7 seems to receive a blue ( ground?) line from the trigger.

And a question: if something happen with the small circuit that downgrade 12V to 5 V ( a zener diode and a 680 Ohms resistance) is there any chance to "damage" the loudspeaker? 

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

liviu_o:

Soren,

in your first post pin 7 seems to receive a blue ( ground?) line from the trigger.

And a question: if something happen with the small circuit that downgrade 12V to 5 V ( a zener diode and a 680 Ohms resistance) is there any chance to "damage" the loudspeaker? 

Pin 7 is not connected in the speaker, but trigger must have ground from pin 2, without ground it will not work,

If 12 V get to TR1 Base (BL 8000) it will not open the standby circuit, I think Smile, not totally sure if this will damage TR1, but I dont think so, wait for confirmation from Mika or someone who knows.

liviu_o
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 157
Bronze Member
liviu_o replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 10:25 PM

So the picture isn't accurate: ground from trigger ( blue) has to go to pin 2 (with the ground from RCA), not to pin 7 as in picture.

bab
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Bronze Member
bab replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 1:39 AM

Hi all,

I have a somewhat related question. My situation is the opposite of Liviu's: I want to connect a non-B&O subwoofer to a Beovision 10-46 via the TV's subwoofer Powerlink output. Based on the responses in this thread, can I assume that a 5-pin Powerlink-to-RCA adapter will do the job? Here's an example of such an adapter that I found on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-for-Bang-Olufsen-DIN-Adapter-Phono-AUX-2-pol-/290734205569?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item43b11bea81

Thanks!

bab

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

liviu_o:

So the picture isn't accurate: ground from trigger ( blue) has to go to pin 2 (with the ground from RCA), not to pin 7 as in picture.

Thats correct, Mika did mention the same in his answer

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

bab:

Hi all,

I have a somewhat related question. My situation is the opposite of Liviu's: I want to connect a non-B&O subwoofer to a Beovision 10-46 via the TV's subwoofer Powerlink output. Based on the responses in this thread, can I assume that a 5-pin Powerlink-to-RCA adapter will do the job? Here's an example of such an adapter that I found on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-for-Bang-Olufsen-DIN-Adapter-Phono-AUX-2-pol-/290734205569?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item43b11bea81

Thanks!

bab

I dont know Beovision and never worked with subwoofers, so you will have to wait until some clever member comes with an answer, but some subs have some strange connections, so be careful.

liviu_o
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 157
Bronze Member
liviu_o replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 5:28 AM

And also: what type of cable do I need for this? Can someone post a link. I mention that I want to use mono cables ( so a 4 wire cable should be ok I think) :

RCA + trigger ---> powerlink  

for both front channels.

If everything is ok I'll make the same for the centers and rears + sub.

Liviu

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

I would use data link cables cat. 6 or 7, if you tell us where you are situated, someone may have a link to a seller

liviu_o
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 157
Bronze Member
liviu_o replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 6:57 AM

I am in Romania. I am asking about the type of cable : shielded or not, how thick cables should be, etc...Something like this will be ok? I am asking for a picture or a link only to see how it should look like. I will find it after, but don't know what should I look for.

liviu_o
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 157
Bronze Member
liviu_o replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 7:03 AM

Do the cable have any influence in sound quality? ( like for passive loudspeakers) Or is it more tolerant.

What specifications should I look for?

Thanks!

Liviu

liviu_o
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 157
Bronze Member
liviu_o replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 7:26 AM

I found this instead of the zener diode + 680 ohms resist  for trigger part of the cable:

Is it ok?

liviu_o
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 157
Bronze Member
liviu_o replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 8:10 AM

If I will use a telephone charger 220 V - 5V that means the loudspeaker will stay on all the time or it will be "green"only when audio signal is received?

Should the ground from trigger and negative from RCA  linked together?

RaMaBo
Top 150 Contributor
near Munich
Posts 626
Gold Member
RaMaBo replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 11:08 AM

Hi,

if you use a telephone charger (5V) the speakers will always be switched on. The 5V are a signal from the B&O Audio / Video Output to the speakes to switch on (=5V) or to switch off (=0V).

The cable you showed is not useful ! Atleast the two wires carrying the audio signal should be shielded. The 5V trigger line doesn't need to be shielded, but it's probably easier to get a cable where all wires are shielded separately than the special B&O cable itself.

Ralph-Marcus

Ralph-Marcus

liviu_o
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 157
Bronze Member
liviu_o replied on Tue, Sep 11 2012 11:42 AM

1. But a car telephone charger modified in order to use a minijack to the 12 V output of the receiver will work?

2. Will a datalink cat 6 be good enough ? ( sound quality)

3. Should the grounds from trigger and RCA conect together to pin 2 and pin 7 left unconected?

liviu_o
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 157
Bronze Member
liviu_o replied on Wed, Sep 12 2012 4:34 PM

It seems that last questions were without answer :)

I have another one: if I cut a 5m mk3 powerlink cable and use the cut end to conect to RCA and mini jack will it work? It has both the 5 and 3 pin wired, so it will be a problem if I will let this wire unconected in the left and right cable?

And what should I conect to pin 2 and 7 ( question left unanswered) : on the mk3 schema it says : pin 2 = ground ( shield)

pin 7 = mass data line ( shield 2).

Thank you very much! I hope tommorow I will make it and post the results.

P.S. I also tried today a B&O original RCA - powerlink cable which didn't work with beolab 8000. Switch = powerlink---> red..........switch = line --> HUM......switch again to powerlink = green/music, but turn red /off after 1-2 min and never again green.

It can be started again same way ( powerlink---> line--->powerlink) but for same result ( 1-2 min of activity).

Liviu

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

For the 3rd time (1 time Mika, 2 times me), pin 7 is not used in BL 8000, and trigger must be pin 4 and pin 2.

Connecting powerlink without the trigger will not work, and switching to line neither, if using line in it has to be RCA to RCA, if using powerlink with trigger it has to be L or R,

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Wed, Sep 12 2012 7:59 PM

I may be missing something, but why not make this easy on yourself and forget about the Powerlink connectors? Just switch the speakers in LINE mode and use regular RCA-RCA cables from the receiver to speaker.

--mika

RussR
Not Ranked
Posts 63
Bronze Member
RussR replied on Wed, Sep 12 2012 10:56 PM

I think you're making this way too hard on yourself.  If you are, intact, talking about BeoLab 6000/8000's.  Both of those speakers have RCA inputs on them.  No conversion cable is needed.  Set the input switch to "Line" and they will work just fine, including power on/off.

We kid because we love.

liviu_o
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 157
Bronze Member
liviu_o replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 6:47 AM

Tournedos and RussR,

thank you...I am using an RCA-RCA cable right now but there are 2 problems:

1.movies - when there is a scene with dialogue the front 8000's will turn off and it will not be very annoying but

2. one loudspeaker when turning off ( during a movie) starts a sort of clipping...on/off/on/off.... very quick (15-20 times/second) ....solved by muting the sound....waiting the loudspeaker to turn off ( usually in 3 second) then turning on the sound again.

That's the reason I am trying to use powerlink input.

Thanks!

stefan
Top 50 Contributor
200 miles from Struer
Posts 2,920
Bronze Member
stefan replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 12:07 PM

So, why not getting two long 8 PIN Powerlink cables ?

Ct them in the middle and solder rca, XLR, whatever you need to the open cable end - and you won`t have to think about the Powerlink end.

Use the cabling (5 PIN) as shown in Peter Pans drawing and connect PIN2 and PIN7. So, maybe one day, if you want to replace your BL8000/6000

with ICE Power Beolabs (BL3, BL12...)  just cut the connection between PIN 2 and 7.

I`m sure, Peter Pans circuit will work - as far as I know - he uses exactly this circuit in his own setup....

You will need a non Beo receiver with preamp outputs with regulated line level, so of course the cables must be shielded - they are no speaker cables.

BTW - I strongly recommend to let the work done by a trained technician - sorry, but maybe it`s better for your Beolabs...

Stefan

liviu_o
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 157
Bronze Member
liviu_o replied on Thu, Sep 13 2012 6:41 PM

I finally made it. I cut the 5 m powerlink mk3 cable and solded an RCA + trigger.

It works as I wished but it has a little "noise". Don't know if it's new or it is there even with the RCA -RCA cable.

Are your beolabs perfectly quiet when they are on but no music????

Thanks for feed-back and for all your help.

Liviu

RussR
Not Ranked
Posts 63
Bronze Member
RussR replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 3:57 PM

Try this then:  Use the RCA-RCA cable, with the input set to 'Line' but keep the DIN connected for the trigger only.

We kid because we love.

liviu_o
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 157
Bronze Member
liviu_o replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 4:55 PM

Thx for suggestion....same result...I also tried only RCA-RCA = same small "noise" at the grill level, especially at treble loudspeaker.

Maybe RCA pre-outs fault?

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

If its the same noise in both speakers,  probably preouts

liviu_o
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 157
Bronze Member
liviu_o replied on Fri, Sep 14 2012 6:00 PM

Yes, same noise.

Is it any cure for this?

Liviu

AHHH, I know....beosystem 3 :))

Page 1 of 1 (33 items) | RSS