Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Accessing Beosystem 2500/Ouverture tape mechanism for belt replacement…

rated by 0 users
This post has 26 Replies | 0 Followers

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 Posted: Tue, Aug 8 2017 10:55 AM

Good morning guys,

I recently had to change the tape belt for my beosystem 2500. I found well know video about how to actually replace the belt but nothing around on how to access the tape mechanism. Even if the service manuals are well do, it wasn't not much a help. I finally found a very cheap Ouverture to play as "dead body for practicing" and managed to successfully change the belts on both systems.

I though some pictures may be a little help for anyone running into this.

I post this on the english forum for maximum visibility, but I'm french, so forgive me if some instructions look weird, or typos or whatever… In any case if you read something like "hit it with the hammer until you hear a loud noise on the floor", its obviously a wording mistake!…

Here we go…

Tools you need : Torx screwdriver N°7, Pozidrive screwdriver N°1 (PZ1), the rest is up to your skills.
I personaly use a flat blade cutter to lift the connectors, but thin screwdriver or plastic spuddger may work as well.

It is safer to remove the glass doors before any operation. And of course, remove any tape in the deck.

1- Removing the back case.

The back case is hold by 7 screw, 6 in the corners, one in the FM Aerial holder.

Remove them and lift the case.

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member

2 - Removing the power supply block (PCB 12 and 15)

This heavy block is hold by 5 screw to the main chassis. You need to remove the 5 screws show in yellow and loosen the 3 one show in orange.

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member

You can hold the whole block by the sides of the band where connectors are, its in steel and offer pretty good grip and balance.
Then lift the whole block a little bit and lay it down, It will be hold by a bunch of wires but they should be soft enough to do it.

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member

Now pull the power supply block to the side.

You don't need to disconnect any wire, but you may need to cut some plastic collars to gan more flexibility.
I needed it on one and not on the other, so no rules here, but my experience is cutting the collars didn't make the BS sound less good! 

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member

3 - Removing PCB 7

Now come the scary part! Scary but not tricky if you go slow and careful.

PCB 7 is the big board between you and the tape mechanism. I opened my BS various time and close it after being stuck in front of that board, with the fear of arming any part. Well, they will be some electronic component out and some wires too, but be quiet and careful and it will be easy !

There's two kind of thing holding PCB 7: screws and 6 connectors.

As long  as you're careful, i found they're is no rule on the one you care first.

Removing the screw first may give you a wider access to the connectors…
Disconnecting the board, may prevent you from seeing it hanging by the wires…
Up to you…

Yellow arrows show you the screws, green ones the connector you can reach for now. The two other need the PCB to be removed. 

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member

The 4 whites connectors need to be disconnected pulling them out perpendicularly to the PCB.
Dont pull them by the wire. The connector has a little edge you can use to play with a lever.

I did it by lifting them a bit with the nail or a little blade, and then slowly using a fat blade cutter as a lever between the edges.

-> Close up of the 2 connectors on the left.

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member

-> Close up of the 2 connectors on the right.

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member

Unplug the four connectors, unscrew the board and lay it down

When you're there, you still need to remove two connectors.

The first one is the one going to the playhead. It's a fat gray wire. It may be hold by plastic hooks glued to the board.
The two ones i worked on had the hook floating away, no longer sticking. If not, you can still remove the wire from the hooks.

Just lift the plug by the edges.

On the pictures, the black wires are just the ones from the previously unplugged wires on the left, hanging around.

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member

Now there's still a group of wire going from a GREEN connector from the PCB right to the tape deck mechanism.

DONT TRY TO UNPLUG IT FROM THE PCB ! I believe it's not a plug.
You need to unplug it from the tape deck side. Carefully lifting it up, lets say, to the sky, assuming your BS is in a normal standing position.

Please note that all those wires may be fixed to the main chassis by any kind of piece, collar, strap… Removing them may help, as i did. but putting them back could be tricky hence not totally necessary (I mean, I manage to rebuild the BS without fixing them again…).

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member

OK at this point, the PCB7 must be free to be removed easily.

Remove it.

Here is a picture of the PCB with the 6 connectors you'll need to plug back, highlighted.

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member

Now the tricky part is done, even if you won't be in peace until you pull it alla back and listen to the sound of you beloved system again.

It will happen again !

You can now access the four screw securing the tape deck mechanism. PZ1 screws.
If you need to push from the other side to unscrew stuck screws, take care to not touch the beauty part of the front facing or use coton gloves. 

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member

Now the tape deck mechanism should be free to be removed.

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Tue, Aug 8 2017 12:09 PM

Follow the youtube tutorial to change the belt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnAD5PbyBGA

Now, i come with a problem on the two BS i changed the belt. Even after replacing the belt the tape deck won't play, like still stuck.
I believe it's because when the belt broke or melt or whatever, the mechanism was in a certain position in the middle of something which need to be like reseted.

What i did is turn the main (big) wheel with the hand to what i call "the point beyond you think it will break".
Trust me when your BS will be up and running, you will remember it at the worst moment of all the fixing procedure!
But if you turn the main wheel and it dont spin freely you will have to do it until you hear a big "Clac" and it spin freely again.

Now it's done. Just do all the steps backward to re-assemble the BS.
Be careful, you're excited to see it working again, but now is very the time to be very careful.

Good luck to you all.

Hope it will help some people around…

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Tue, Aug 8 2017 12:29 PM
Thank you for everyone!

You have done a very good job.

NB : I think this thread should be moved in the Workshop section...
tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Mon, Aug 14 2017 6:09 PM

A good old pictorial workshop! Thank you for the effort, I'm sure this will be useful to many people. Yes - thumbs up

But CB is right, the "Workshop" subforum is exactly made for this kind of content. I'll move the thread, hopefully nobody will lose track.

--mika

nanan
Not Ranked
Posts 50
Bronze Member
nanan replied on Thu, Aug 17 2017 9:29 AM

Good DIY !

Big thanks !

Dave
Not Ranked
France
Posts 9
Bronze Member
Dave replied on Thu, Aug 17 2017 10:43 AM

A really excellent pictorial DIY. Love it! And I wish I mastered writing in French as you do in English. Bravo. Thumbs Up

Marcian
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
Marcian replied on Sat, Oct 12 2019 3:13 PM

Thanks so much for this information.

Can you perhaps be more specific which wheel to turn in which direction? My Cassette mechanism shuts the whole Beosound off after a few seconds. With the old belt that didn’t happen.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Oct 12 2019 4:11 PM

Marcian:

which wheel to turn in which direction?
My Cassette mechanism shuts the whole Beosound off after a few seconds. With the old belt that didn’t happen.

Probably the flywheels in normal playing direction (they run opposite directions).
The mechanism can lock if put together with the tapehead loading etc. in midcycle, but if your drive runs correctly for a few seconds the wheels are all in place.

Sorry for asking, but where did you get the new belt from?

Martin

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Sat, Oct 12 2019 4:36 PM

Marcian:

Can you perhaps be more specific which wheel to turn in which direction?

Dillen is right, it's the big flywheel next to the motor. I think it's actually the only one you can spin by hand once the mechanism block is put back together but I may be wrong, I can't remember well. Nevertheless, once it "Klang", you must be able to spin freely the black parts which move the tape reels.

Just in case, maybe you should check the belt path. It coud be maybe wrong and make the belt stuck.

Marcian
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
Marcian replied on Sat, Oct 12 2019 6:36 PM

Thanks guys. I just had a second go and turned the big wheel to have the tapehead going away from the tape. Going beyond the natural limit gave the good result.

I am now playing a Tape, both directions and fast forward works !

Not so sure about Auto-Reverse for now, but different Problem for a different day.

The belt is from EBay, coming from Portugal. Makes a good impression.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Oct 12 2019 7:56 PM

Oh... I had a feeling. Don't ask why...

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/p/38090/289608.aspx

Martin

Marcian
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
Marcian replied on Sat, Oct 12 2019 8:13 PM

Oh my.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Oct 15 2019 1:21 PM

Christian,
Emails sent to your account bounces.
If possible please contact me from an account at another email server.

Martin

H.-P.
Not Ranked
Hamburg
Posts 18
Bronze Member
H.-P. replied on Sun, Aug 9 2020 6:49 PM

Dear all,

I am worker as an volunteer in a repair café and I hope i can get help for an problem with an beosystem 2500.

Following Problem:

I remove the old belt from the tape and set an new one, now i have some problems with the function of Play and winding / rewind.

After changing the belt it is now not possible to play music...

The head is after 5 sec. turning to the other direction and stop the play-function.

Is it importand that the wheels under the canpstan have an defined Position before install the new belt?

Perhaps can Help any one?

Best Regards

Beo_HP

Please see also the following link:

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/43416.aspx

Edmund
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bronze Member
Edmund replied on Mon, Feb 15 2021 7:06 AM

Thanks! I just used your instructions to remove the tape deck of my BS2500, worked out well.

AlfJ
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member

Excellent tutorial. Saved me a lot of time to read this before starting.

Here is how the belt should run between the wheels. The blue dot is the wheel on the motor.

I created a tool, kind of a hook, from a paper clip to get the belt onto the wheel on the motor. That step requires some patience.

Page 1 of 1 (27 items) | RSS