Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Advice for what to do with my BeoSound 3000 / BeoLab 3 system - sell or repair?

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

riprobbins
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
riprobbins Posted: Wed, Aug 16 2017 4:49 PM

I have a Beosound 3000 and a pair of Beolab 3s, both of which I purchased in Europe. They run on 220V and have EU cord plugs (I've been running everything through a transformer since moving to the US). A while back the CD play function on the Beosound stopped working (I can load a CD, but when I press CD, the CD cover door closes, the unit makes two attempts to spin the CD, stops, and then the CD cover door opens). The Beolab 3s are on floor stands and I also have a Beo 4 remote. I purchased everything together in 2004, and other than the CD playback issue everything is in great shape.

I understand it's easy enough to switch the Beolab 3s over to 120V, but from what I've read it is more complicated to convert the power source for the Beosound and potentially expensive to restore the CD function.

I'm building up a modest SONOS platform as my main music system because the wireless capability is a big attraction. On the other hand I love the sound of the BeoLab 3s. I'm thinking I should sell the B&O system but I'm not sure whether it is worth repairing and/or converting the voltage in order to sell it, or how to price the system as-is, given that it has a problem and is not running on US voltage. I would appreciate advice on how to proceed. Thanks.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Wed, Aug 16 2017 5:02 PM
Why not keep the BL3s for use with your Sonos system. They are great speakers. There is a blog on Steve at sounds heavenly' s website showing what you need to connect them if I remember correctly.
mitonyc
Not Ranked
USA
Posts 1
Bronze Member
mitonyc replied on Wed, Aug 16 2017 6:00 PM

The BeoLab 3 are wonderful speakers, if you do not have to sell them don't. I have them hooked on to the Sonos Connect and they work perfectly. Also as they are now discontinued (or almost) they will be valuable in time. The voltage issue is no big deal.

For the BeoSound 3000, same story, while it is unfortunate that it does not work, selling it would be a pity as it is also a truly historic B&O product - keep it aside, and if you manage to repair it at some point in the future just hook it onto the Aux-in of the Sonos.

I had a very similar situation with a BeoSound 4 (partially working, now on Sonos but rarely used for CDs)+ BeoLab 3 (now directly on Sonos). Hope this helps! And yes Steve from SH has the best tips on how to integrate Sonos w B&O!

riprobbins
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member

Thank you mitonyc and duels for your very helpful responses. I will get a Sonos Connect and bring the BL3s into my "ecosystem".

Two follow-on questions:

1/ Am I correct in my understanding that since the BL3s are powered speakers, I need the Sonos Connect (NOT the Sonos Connect:AMP)?

2/ If I connect the repaired BeoSound to the Sonos Connect, and I want to listen to radio or CD from the BeoSound, can the signal pass through the Connect to either the BL3s or other connected Sonos speakers (i.e., can I choose)?

Ferdinand
Top 150 Contributor
Malmö, Sweden
Posts 541
Gold Member

Hi riprobbins, did you ever managed to repair he BS 3000?

I am asking for a friend, his BS300 has identical problem:  can load a CD, but when press CD, the CD cover door closes, the unit makes two attempts to spin the CD, stops, and then the CD cover door opens. so I was wondering if there are some good tips and tricks around to get this fixed.

Ferdinand

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
@Ferdinand @Riprobbins

Did you see this post in a FaceBook B&O forum ?

BeoNut since '75

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS