Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoGram Turntable control using BLGW and 2 NL/ML Converters

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff Posted: Fri, Aug 18 2017 10:11 PM

I just received my second NL/ML Converter today. I wasn't sure if this could be done, but it CAN! This is just another example of how amazing the BLGW is in bridging multiple systems together.

With my first NL/ML Converter, I bridged my NL system with my ML system with the BeoSound 5 as the audio master. This ML system is connected by ML to the BLGW.

With my second NL/ML Converter, I connected it to a BeoGram 9500 turntable connected to a BeoMaster 5500. I had to use a 1612 BeoLink Converter between the BeoMaster and the NL/ML Converter. this ML system is not connected by ML to the BLGW.

With the BeoMusic App and the Bang & Olufsen X App I can now control the BeoGram: Play, Pause, Advance, and Back.

Here's where it gets interesting: I took this a step further. With the BLGW, I created the following macros:

-"BeoGram Play" uses LIGHT + GO to begin playing the turntable.

-"BeoGram Pause" uses LIGHT + STOP to pause playback of the turntable. ( I might change this since the LIGHT + STOP command can also be useful to turn off all the lights.)

-"BeoGram Advance" uses LIGHT + UP to advance the stylus forward.

-"BeoGram Back" uses LIGHT + DOWN to move the stylus back.

I should mention that I also used an audio out of the BeoMaster 5 to send the sound to the AUX input of the BeoSound 5 (via the USB Behringer converter). Something nice that you can do is use the Master Control Panel 5500 to adjust and save the the sound level of the BeoMaster 5500 to a level consistent with other sources of the BeoSound 5 to compensate for the somewhat lower volume level of the turntable. Thus, I use the AUX command on the Beo4 to switch to the turntable and then LIGHT + GO to begin playing the turntable. With the Beo6, I can neatly pull of the macros into a virtual "Turntable" button and it all becomes seamless. This is amazing!

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Tue, Aug 29 2017 1:35 AM

I've just discovered something amazing: there is actually no need to program BLGW or even use the BLGW to bridge the two ML networks!

It can all be done within the BLC setup menu. For example, both of my BLCs are setup as V.MASTER. For the BLC that connects to all of my ML devices/speakers throughout my home (other than just the BeoGram connected to a BeoMaster 5500 that is connected to the second BLC), in the table for "Sources visible on ML" I now have the option to add sources from the SECOND BLC to the table of the first BLC. I can assign a video command (e.g. DVD) to control the Beogram on the SECOND BLC. Now, on my BL3500 speakers, I just press DVD on the Beo4 and the turntable starts. I have full control (FF, REW, PLAY, STOP) with the remote.

For my ML BeoVisions, I use the combination control LINK+AV+DVD.

Stefan E
Top 500 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 101
Gold Member
Stefan E replied on Tue, Aug 29 2017 12:12 PM
It's good that B&O have kept the interaction so that also old MCL / Datalink products still can be used/controlled in a modern setup.

Soon I need to get the hands of a second NL/MLC to start testing with older video products as well.

This is really inspiring Stick out tongue

Stefan

BS3 DVB-HD, BV7-40 MKIII, BC6-26, BC6-23, BV4-50/BS2, BS5, BS9000, BL3500, MLGW, BLGW, PlayMaker, - BS6500, BS4500, LX6000, VX7000, MX5500, VX5000 - Beo6, Beo5, BeoTimex2, Linctonic

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Tue, Aug 29 2017 12:24 PM

I agree. The possibilities are great. This means that we can have multiple A.MASTER music systems connected by way of the BLC units and distribute and control the sound from all of these music systems throughout the home. I have a third BLC arriving soon and will be testing more possibilities with it.

I notice that it's been quite awhile since B&O have updated the firmware on the BLC. I hope they continue to build upon and fine tune the BLC.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS