Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

B&O and there (not) software updates policy..

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 2 Followers

jvdl
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 129
Bronze Member
jvdl Posted: Mon, Sep 11 2017 10:56 PM

I read more and more questions and frustration about the (not) updates of B&O products (think of Avant, BV, Moment, etc.)  which means that there is no or not enough support for certain applications and / or other devices. (you see the same with other brands also: Samsung, LG I think there are in the Netherlands already law suits preparing/going on from consumer organisations)

Some examples:
Avant MK1 no Deezer connection more than an XML parser error
Avant MK1 no Spotify connection more
Avant MK1 no profile for BL50 speakers
latest software update November 2016!

Beosound Moment does not support Deezer High Fidelity lossless

Also from the BV corner I read/hear the same complaints about software updates.
Proberly there ar more productswith those software problems.

It may not be that a brand like B & O will let its buyers stand out by losing any updates, leaving functionality behind.

Buyers have counted down a lot for the B & O equipment, but it's not possible that you simply let these buyers stand in the cold.

I am (unfortunately) not an expert on the question of how B & O might be obliged to issue such software updates, since you may expect that the purchased B & O equipment should be able to function properly for a number of years, what you might expect from your durably purchased equipment.

I think there is even regulation, think of "Sale of Goods Act"

Perhaps this thread can contribute to this, maybe there is someone overhere having a entrance to Struer or they looking sometimes overhere?
John

jvdl
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 129
Bronze Member
jvdl replied on Wed, Sep 13 2017 6:49 AM

It seems nobody having software problems with his B&O equipment?
I was hoping that more forum users wil place here the problems they have, but proberly none?

zerocool143
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 94
Bronze Member

I have encountered alot of clients complaining about the new products that they have purchased which is not performing based on what they were expected to function. Its hard to see them get frustrated since they buy those products with such a huge amount then it will not work as what it is supposed to be. I feel sad to those customers but I also try to help them to give them work around on how they can utilize there systems.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Wed, Sep 13 2017 7:44 AM

The Moment is getting Deezer HiFi next month.

jvdl
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 129
Bronze Member
jvdl replied on Wed, Sep 13 2017 8:31 AM

On this moment I have a support case at BeoCare about my situation:

Having a Avant 85" (no NG) delivered  07-2016 connected to BL 5 in the fron and BL12-3 for de backsite and the Moment for the music.

No I order the BL50 (delivery wil be september 23th) to replace the BL5, now it seems there is no profile for the BL50 on the Avant!
Also there are problems with Deezer (xml parser error) and Spotify...
Last update Avant was october 2016, after this nu updates anymore.

So we wil see what Beocare is planning todo about this?
For now I get a confirmation from Beocare with the following: "We shall investigate the matter further and revert to you as soon as possible"

So we wil see what kind of answer/solution they wil come with.....

When they do nothing I wil considder to throw out al my B&O equipment and step over to another brand that having decent upgrades and/or support.

Bad thinking after 20 years B&O

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 999
Bronze Member
What if they never configure the Avant to recognise your BL50. Are you sure you want to progress that order for BL50?

Present: BL90, Core, BL6000, CD7000, Beogram 7000, Essence Remote.

Past: BL1, BL2, BL8000, BS9000, BL5, BC2, BS5, BV5, BV4-50, Beosystem 3, BL3, DVD1, Beoremote 4, Moment.

jvdl
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 129
Bronze Member
jvdl replied on Wed, Sep 13 2017 9:30 AM

I must be honest!

My B&O dealer Fred Baak in Houten solved the Avant problems together with B&O (this morning) and he recognise the BL50!
Also Deezer is working again.  Done by a software update for my Avant...

So looking forward to the BL50's next week.

Chapeau Fred

andy_js
Top 500 Contributor
Englandshire
Posts 223
Bronze Member
andy_js replied on Wed, Sep 13 2017 10:36 AM
Does this mean there's an update on the way for the rest of us?
jvdl
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 129
Bronze Member
jvdl replied on Wed, Sep 13 2017 10:49 AM

andy_js:
Does this mean there's an update on the way for the rest of us?

I realy don't know, my B&O dealer fixed this......
I have on my Avant 85 now a newer software version.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

pffft - typical

the deezer issue is annoying and should be pushed to everyone

the work around is that you go in to the smart TV platform and launch deezer there

jvdl
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 129
Bronze Member
jvdl replied on Wed, Sep 13 2017 11:54 AM

Aussie Michael:

pffft - typical

the deezer issue is annoying and should be pushed to everyone

the work around is that you go in to the smart TV platform and launch deezer there

Can be typical but works for my Avant.
Point is that it can be solved by (proberly) your dealer or maybe direct by Beocare?

Zwets
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 111
Bronze Member
Zwets replied on Fri, Sep 29 2017 1:39 PM

I would be intereset in this software update too. My BV11 has the issue too when selecting Deezer directly. Any chance you can ask Fred what was done?

BeoMegaMan
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 601
Bronze Member

Below is a SW update that has started to push to OG chassis TV's. Most of your wishes have been taken care of :)

--

A list of new and useful functions and improvements will be introduced with a software update release for BeoVision Avant, BeoVision 11, BeoPlay V1 and BeoSystem 4 (TVs based on the VE 1.x TV platform)
The roll out of the new software will be managed as a market sequential launch taking place as from Wednesday 27 September until middle of October.

Spotify Connect support (TV and BeoSound Essence/Core in a shared speaker setup)
By connecting BeoSound Core or BeoSound Essence box as PRODUCT 1 or PRODUCT 2, you will be able to enjoy your Spotify music service via the TV speakers. 

Network link setup menu in BeoVision

The daily operation is controlled via the Bang & Olufsen or Spotify app, where you select the BeoSound Core or Essence as product, and the sound is played via the TV speakers.

Because of Spotify has stopped supporting the TV app, the embedded Spotify TV app will be removed from the Smart TV and source LIST.

Direct source selection of Deezer 
Direct source selection of Deezer via the BeoRemote One has been reestablish. 
Please note, that start-up time of the Deezer app may require a bit of patience. Furthermore, when choosing “popular” it may take approx. 3 minutes to get the overview of music.

Added support of BeoLab 90 / 50 / BeoSound Shape
BeoLab 90 / 50 / BeoSound Shape is now part of the speaker setup possibility

When connecting BeoLab 50/90 speakers and the TV is connected via a cabled LAN connection, it's important that you change the Network Link delay "wired" to 200 ms (Customer Service Menu) if this is not done you will experience that the sound is missing.

(This is only an issue if the TV is connected via LAN or the Network Link delay setting has been changed from the default value). 

Ah, you know... A little B&O here, a little there 

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Ok

Thank you for this post.  Would be good to read that the update is imminent.

So its an update nearly 1 year to the date.  

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

An update is also imminent for the moment going from the Support Pages of B&O

Well done Moment team :-)

https://support.bang-olufsen.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002963625-Software-updates 

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sat, Sep 30 2017 11:10 AM

Yeah, thats been imminent for quite a while......

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Mon, Apr 16 2018 9:03 AM

I bought a couple of months ago a Sony for the kitchen, with perfectly working Netflix app on it.

I find it very sad that a television device of this price and age will not get an update to a Netflix app. And that I need different hardware to watch Netflix.

After the bad experience with the Beosound Moment, this is another serious reason not to look at Bang & Olufsen for media fun anymore.

No, don't tell me about licenses and B&O. For the premium price we pay to B&O hardware and software, licensing could not be the excuse...

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Mon, Apr 16 2018 9:28 AM

No TV whatever the price will be software bullet proof for a long time.

That applies to general software updates, delivery of promised features, or availability of apps.

Many TV's from big brands have had issues / failings when it comes to delivering at least one or two of the above.

I agree its not really acceptable, but it's just the world we love in.

It does make buyers think about what the most important aspect is : underlying panel technology, HDR capability, video processing or the software platform.

Its a shame that B&O TV's dont offer best in class on all the above 4 boxes, but then again i'm not sure anyone really does.

Personally, the software platform / app availability is the least important to me - the landscape shifts too much, brand arguments lead to services being pulled etc etc, so why would i by a TV expecting a full app set forever? Better to buy based on panel tech / HDR capability / video processing - add a streaming box (they're cheap after all).

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Mon, Apr 16 2018 9:50 AM

Sandyb:

No TV whatever the price will be software bullet proof for a long time.

That applies to general software updates, delivery of promised features, or availability of apps.

Many TV's from big brands have had issues / failings when it comes to delivering at least one or two of the above.

I agree its not really acceptable, but it's just the world we love in.

It does make buyers think about what the most important aspect is : underlying panel technology, HDR capability, video processing or the software platform.

Its a shame that B&O TV's dont offer best in class on all the above 4 boxes, but then again i'm not sure anyone really does.

Personally, the software platform / app availability is the least important to me - the landscape shifts too much, brand arguments lead to services being pulled etc etc, so why would i by a TV expecting a full app set forever? Better to buy based on panel tech / HDR capability / video processing - add a streaming box (they're cheap after all).

Sandyb, it's a nice answer you wrote, appreciate it. But don't try to find excuses for B&O.

Talking about that Netflix app, when I bought my television a couple of years ago. The app for Netflix was already included on most other television brands. And the excuse from B&O was lying at that time with licenses, now it's changed to old hardware.

It is just not acceptable for the price we pay. 

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Mon, Apr 16 2018 10:02 AM

Indeed, they havent covered themselves in glory (B&O that is)

The issue for their older TV's is that the smart TV engine they put in the older TV's was from a smaller supplier, so vulnerable in that sense.

Now they have LG's web OS, i dont think TVs like the Eclipse will suffer from the same "app withdrawal" issue, not to the same degree anyway.

So Eclipse owners have a strong choice of apps, and they should remain.

My point was more that because nothing can be guaranteed around app availability, i wouldnt chose a TV based on that, especially when a cheap streaming box can be had which is generally better anyway.

Of course that wont suit everyone, but again LG is a big vendor and B&O chosing them for the smart TV (and the apps that come with it) is a better offer than the older TVs had.

I dont have an Eclipse for the record.

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 766
Bronze Member

I have a Eclipse,

But from the start I have choosen to only use the Apple TV4K.

It just Works, and it does it great. And it have all the apps.

And with PUC control, it feels like it is Integrated.

Forget about the bulit in streaming apps, and go for a Apple tv, just my opinion.

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Tue, Apr 17 2018 9:56 AM

The app universe is a bit difficult, and I understand the challenges a small manufacturer like B&O could have.

I recently worked in one of the bigger videostreaming companies in scandinavia. The way things work is that the likes of Netflix, Viaplay, HBO Nordic decide on what platforms they want to publish their apps. They develop the apps to support the different platforms out there, like WebOS for LG, Tizen for Samsung, AppleTV and so on.

It require development resources to maintain and develop the app further to support the various changes the platforms introduce over time.

The streaming companies always make sure they have the right to withdraw the app, when e.g the cost for maintaining an app goes above what the benefit are to have the app published on that concerned platform.  

So with regards to apps I think the LG cooperation where WebOS is the basis for coming TVs should make the app experience far better that for the apps provided for Avant and Horizon. 

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

Page 1 of 1 (22 items) | RSS